Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MIXING ENGINE OIL

ahmed-abrar

Hi Ahmed

I would think the 10/60 oil is far to thick for use in our engines. The manual states 5W.30 or 0W.30. You could possibly use a very small amount to top up a very low oil level, but I would not use more than about 0.25 ltr, any more would risk thickening the oil too much, but in an emergency any oil is better than no oil, but changed to the proper grade as soon as.

19 hours ago, ahmed-abrar said:

I've a stock of quality full synthetic 10 60 oil & was wondering about using it as a replacement or topup in place of the recommend stuff in the IS250.

What does everybody think of this ?

Only use the oil that the manufacturer states(spec) for the particular engine you have  . It is madness to do anything else .

4 hours ago, nicnac said:

Only use the oil that the manufacturer states(spec) for the particular engine you have  . It is madness to do anything else .

just out of interest - what would you say about using 0W40 in IS250? 

12 hours ago, Linas.P said:

just out of interest - what would you say about using 0W40 in IS250? 

Cannot remember what 4GR-FSE oil is recommended .I would repeat that I would use the recommended specification oil and viscosity for the climate I was in  .. 

It is important as in some engines it will be critical . As in the CTDi Honda engine where if you dont use a 0W30 oil and use a heavier oil you may starve the rear bearing on start up . The guys who choose the oil relevant to the world market they specify usually get it right . 

Oil is a relatively inexpensive product , so use the recommended spec and have done with it . 

Well... 4GR-FSE has following oils recommended depending on the climate - 5w30/0w30 for warmer climate and 5w20/0w20 for colder climate.

However, at one point I did kind of experiment as I had to use the car in two extremes - driving in Germany at top speed for extended period of time and then ending-up in eastern Europe during the winter with temps below -20C. So the experiment was to put in 0w40, meaning better cold start protection in cold mornings and better hot engine protection when doing 140MPH on autobahn.

Overall, experience was very successful - car didn't burn any oil (wheres it normally burned ~0.5l 5w30 Castrol Magnatec over 10k miles) and oil still looked surprisingly clean after ~6k miles, whereas Magnatec always looks very dirty.

Other note - IS-F 2UR-GSE has 2 recommend oils 5w30 for daily driving and 10w60 for track.

In either case, I would not recommend 10w60 in 4GR-FSE. The cold rating of 10 is too thick and for daily driving it would prematurely wear out engine on start-ups + it would reduce economy as for w60 there are no conditions in UK to bring it up-to temp. But as I said I found 0w40 as improvement overall, it kind of extends recommended oil characteristics in both ends.

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

But as I said I found 0w40 as improvement overall, it kind of extends recommended oil characteristics in both ends.

its a fair point ................ but I am not up to speed on the relevant viscosity curves in comparison in relation to temperature . Its an interesting question . 

I would just say that for the normal punter the book recommended oil is what you should use . 

A similar point is that the S2000 engine recommends 5W30 , or 5W40 . I use Honda s own brand 5W40 . Dont know who makes it but hey , who cares as long as its the recommended one . 

oils and standards is a minefield , with dozens of different specs ........ Lifes too short !!! 

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

But as I said I found 0w40 as improvement overall, it kind of extends recommended oil characteristics in both ends.

I don't think Toyota sell 0W-40 so they won't have it on their recommended list 😉 

Eeeeeeh Castrol Magnatec. That's the oil I used in every car I had before I went to diesels in 2007. Never had issues with starting up in any weather conditions and never had engine problems either. Before I went on to Magnatec I used Duckhams Q which again no problems at all. To correct myself I used Q in the 1st 10 cars I had then I couldn't find it anywhere so moved to Magnatec.