Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all. Fairly new to the Lexus scene but have fallen in love with my GS300 and am after a LS400. If anyone has one that they’re looking to get rid off please let me know. I am not interested in anything that has been modified, sorry. 

This seems like a nice community and I’m hopeful there aren’t scammers here. I’ve seen some on auto trader but they’re in the £3,000-£5,000 range, which I feel is too expensive... I’m more for someone who has maintained the car for years and just wants somebody to continue maintaining the car for years to come. 

Please do post back here if anything is available. 

Thanks.

Wise choice, but like any car, regardless of price, they have their foibles, so at the risk of teaching an elderly relative to suck eggs it might be useful to read some of the articles  in this topic:

There is a section on here with cars for sale, but there doesn't seem to be any LS400s listed at present.

Good luck with your hunt.

3 hours ago, Alexander-Lexus said:

I’ve seen some on auto trader but they’re in the £3,000-£5,000 range, which I feel is too expensive... I’m more for someone who has maintained the car for years and just wants somebody to continue maintaining the car for years to come. 

You mean it's more than you want to pay? And you're hoping you might get one from someone who doesn't know what they've got? Well, stranger things have happened :biggrin:

Prices are rising, no doubt about it. If you want one I suggest you act sooner rather than later or be prepared to put some work in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alexander-Lexus said:

I’ve seen some on auto trader but they’re in the £3,000-£5,000 range, which I feel is too expensive

I don't think £3,000-£5,000 is expensive for a good example that has been well maintained and looked after. To quote Howplum, "they have their foibles" and are not immune to the common issues that can affect any car so research on here will stand you in good stead. There is a silver 1997 on eBay at the moment, currently £950, which looks like it's been stood quite a while so may not be in the best shape underneath. That car could be a bargain or it could be a total lemon, if it was near me rather than Clacton-on-Sea I may have been tempted to have a look myself.

Good luck in your search but I think it will be a waiting game for a good one to appear or buy cheaper and do work on it, iirc rich1068 bought a very very good one recently so they do appear for sale from time to time.

• Like 2

I would say that your looking at a car that is at best going to be 3 years older than your GS300, and if anything like mine at an age where even though looked after things like seals are really starting age, rust bubble now appearing and other stuff (such as SatNav display faded when cold) that is making me think do I spend £2K+ really get the car back to really nice (has had new shocks and brakes in last two years) running condition.  

I have not been in a GS300 for a good ten years, and I cannot recall if I thought it was a better car then LS but certainly a smaller boot.  To me its the quiteness of the LS that still gets me, and with that in mind I am prepared to see my 209,000 mile 21 year old car be with me for a year or two more before I decide if it is time to move on, and it would probably be a GS of some sort I would be looking at.

I think if you bide your time you could get away with spending under £3K, but less and less I think.  I am quite shocked at how few LS400 there are on eBay or anywhere else compared to 3 years ago. 

That one in Clacton certainly worth an day out from Oxford, as it seems in good internal nick compared to the Mk3 I got back 10 years ago (with 150,000+ on the clock), only advice is the ECU problems with Mk3 might need looking into. Reason I say that was mine was becoming undriveable before I gave it to a mate for spares.

59 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

that is making me think do I spend £2K+ really get the car back to really nice (has had new shocks and brakes in last two years) running condition.  

in a heartbeat ....... I wouldn't hesitate, if that's all it takes to get her to where you want her to be

Jeez, that's just a couple of months or so finance on a new car !

Malc

2 hours ago, Malc said:

Jeez, that's just a couple of months or so finance on a new car !

My thoughts exactly, I just want some nice spring weather so I can jack the car up sort some things out.  I only hesitate because still recovering from Covid and Heart Attack not yet in a fit state, and all that lovely weather we had in Lockdown one was when I was in hospital, so the car has had no TLC for nearly a year now (apart from new rear shocks).

The wife keeps saying I should get a newer car, she does not quite get that this LS is the best money I have ever spent to date,  I wonder if her 3 year old Mazda will get to see it's 21st birthday.  The Mazda 2, nice car for trips to the shop, but God forbid the prices when all the dashboard frippery starts playing up, and not the quietest car on a the motorway.

Hi all. There are some about, the problem is when I do the MOT checks on Gov.uk and see that some are corroding underneath and the owner hasn’t fixed it for a few years I don’t fancy the punt - I suppose I could always use that to haggle price down. There’s some on FB market place for a reasonable price; not sure how much I trust FB marketplace lol.

There are plenty of 2nd gen GS300 available, some reasonably cheap as well - even saw one with cloth interior! Loads of IS200 and the odd first generation GS300 around as well. 

Maybe some transparency of numbers etc might help with future purchase and what you want to pay, nothing to hide and happy to help fellow LOC members 😉

Purchased by '96 LS400 for £1300, I have replaced wheels with aftermarket and the suspension for coilovers. I have put a new AC condenser and dryer unit. I have serviced the power steering reservoir seals, added back the original airbox and slam panel intake. Rear discs and pads changed. I have replaced headunit backlight bulbs, hopefully fixed a wiring gremlin related to door locking and windows opening. I converted headlights back to stock from HIDs and replaced a few bulbs here and there. The Battery has been upgraded and bonnet struts have been replaced. Including car price I am currently at £3.5k total spent. I admit I have saved money by doing things myself and making use of mates rates from a friend who is an autotech.

I was fortunate to be given a look at the cars history by the owner before me, it had received a new starter motor, alternator, timing belt and water pump all within the past 5 years. I serviced instead of replacing the power steering pump that was leaky.

I have to get a new exhaust and new windscreen at some point. So probably pushing £4k by then. It will also require a full respray as the paint is knackered. I also need to get the rear subframe out/ thoroughly checked including brake hard lines (known issue) but I don't enjoy lying on the ground in the freezing cold 😄 if I were to get it resprayed and check the subframe/ brake lines and then put the car up for £4-5k - I don't think I would classify that as a rip off? (Opposing opinions always welcome), plus prices will start to lift with time.

The links above regarding 'thing to look out for' are really worth a read. Can help you dodge a bullet or provide ammunition for haggling.

I was offered a very very well looked after LS from a member on here when I was first looking, but I wanted a bargain to restore myself. His price was somewhere in the zone you've mentioned and I thought it was reasonable and I don't think £5k is too bad if you know the history and the car has been loved.

1 hour ago, Alexander-Lexus said:

There are some about, the problem is when I do the MOT checks on Gov.uk and see that some are corroding underneath

Going off the LS400 I purchased in Oct 2019 the areas to look out for concerning corrosion are listed below. I have posted some information about all this, have a look at my posts which will give you some insight on what to look out for and other stuff as well. The stuff below might be alarming but like with any other old car things can be fixed/sorted with some time and effort and surprisingly little money.

Rear subframe. This suffers, can look worse than it really is (as with other cars) and is often mentioned on MOT’s. Mine did look really grotty but I got it jacked up, wheels off and scraped, wire brushed everything I could get to then treated it with some rust converter (copious amounts sprayed and then worked in with a brush). Once dried etc sprayed with Dynax stuff. It wasn’t like new but better than leaving it to rot through. Unless a previous owner has sorted this out it probably won’t look pretty.

Rear inner arches and especially the bottom at the boot end and cill end. The corrosion into the cill area is often mentioned on the MOT as ‘ Rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings Inner arch’ or something similar. Around the inner rear arch lips where the under seal is thinner is another potential area. On my car there were holes into the boot area both sides and into the cill area both sides on the bottom of the rear arches. It’s a very similar story for the IS200 as well. I sorted this out during the first lockdown, it was back breaking and time consuming work but is fixable if not too far gone. Unless you can get the car on a ramp, clean all the crud out of the arches and have a really good look round you probably won’t notice this. I could probably detect these problems without the car being on ramp but that’s only because I know exactly where and what to look for.

Generally underneath on the floor pan was pretty good, exhaust to cat clamps/flanges were starting to go though. Suspension components rusted and seized but that’s not unique to the LS400.

18 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

I have to get a new exhaust

I'm flabbergasted at that !  ..........  mine's 232 k miles and 25 years young and my indy assures me the actual exhaust is " like new " still .....  but he has welded the mild steel bits from time to time at tiny cost

Malc

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malc said:

I'm flabbergasted at that !  ..........  mine's 232 k miles and 25 years young and my indy assures me the actual exhaust is " like new " still .....  but he has welded the mild steel bits from time to time at tiny cost

Malc

Manifolds are fine but from the end of the Y piece back it has been butchered beyond belief, it has been made into a single exit, has about 4 different diameter pipes and the joins are all either corroded to dust or smothered in the worst exhaust chewing gum.

Have a friend who does projects as pocket money and he is going to help me out with making a custom one 😄

• Like 1

1997 MkIV/Series 2 facelift for sale on Gumtree, looks tidy enough and has all 3 keys. Drivers seat will probably need some work though from looking at the pictures (or lack of a full picture of the drivers seat)

https://www.gumtree.com/p/lexus/lexus-ls-saloon-1997-automatic-3969-cc-4-doors/1395783197

3 hours ago, Razor61 said:

1997 MkIV/Series 2 facelift for sale on Gumtree, looks tidy enough and has all 3 keys. Drivers seat will probably need some work though from looking at the pictures (or lack of a full picture of the drivers seat)

https://www.gumtree.com/p/lexus/lexus-ls-saloon-1997-automatic-3969-cc-4-doors/1395783197

Dunno where he gets 159g/km from when the actual figure is 292g/km, but other than that, and the drivers seat needing some love, looks like a decent buy.
At those kinds of prices you are gonna have to deal with rust underneath. If you want a rust-free example you'll be looking at well over £5k, probably closer to £10k.

5 hours ago, Razor61 said:

Drivers seat will probably need some work though from looking at the pictures (or lack of a full picture of the drivers seat)

Looks a little worse than mine, but my seat still perfectly nice to sit in, and I notice that the metal rivets on jeans are a pain for scratching leather seats, where my missus parks her bottom has plenty of grazes, so I have given up trying to keep the passenger seats looking new.

I would be having a good poke in the rear wheel arches to see where the tin mice have been, but anyone Dorset way might be able to pick up a bargain that needs some TLC.  

15 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

so I have given up trying to keep the passenger seats looking new.

but your car IS 21 Years young and no one could expect seats to be like new :yes:

Malc

• Haha 1

I have a LS400 P reg that I would be willing to sell to somone who wants to give her TLC. It failed the MOT for the first time in the 20 years that I have owned it. A broken spring front nearside and small welding rear offside. Both fixed and sailed through MOT (December 2020). I am based in Surrey. I discovered this site because I want to pass the car on to an enthusiast. This car has never let me down.

• Like 2

and the LPG additionally should be a good addition too, especially if you're going to do some serious mileage in her .......  I know I would be doing 12/15k miles a year if it wasn't for this Lockdown mullarkey   ...........  maybe ask Bluesman ( on here )  what his view might be ?

Malc

This is probably more in the OP's price range. On the plus side the timing belt has been done and the heated seats work, apparently! I'm not sure about the long term caring owner criteria though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS400/303867684860?hash=item46bfece7fc:g:TPgAAOSwRnZgFqZJ

1 hour ago, Howplum said:

This is probably more in the OP's price range. On the plus side the timing belt has been done and the heated seats work, apparently! I'm not sure about the long term caring owner criteria though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS400/303867684860?hash=item46bfece7fc:g:TPgAAOSwRnZgFqZJ

I did see this one on eBay but the rear arches are rusted with one pictured. There is another one for £1500 but the arches are worse and the front wing is really bad.