Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brilliant renewal on Ls400 insce

Hey everyone, wasn't quite expecting this from Saga for my renewal in February  .........  and I don't think it's a joke either sadly

I've yet to call them to have a serious discussion on their humour ...................

I'm on their Fixed 3 year cover which is meant to be to my advantage, I can change at any time I know

" We've slightly reduced your price which means your renewal price for this year is £ 371.12 .......................... Your price for last year was £ 371.13

Joy of Joy a whole one penny reduction ...........  come come, it MUST surely be a joke, taking the peeeee :unsure:

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

mine is limited to about 15k miles a year :wink3:..................... I always expect to do at least one 4k mile tour somewhere in Europe and then there's a tour or 2 of the UK too

Adrian Flux, jeez, hope you never have to make a claim ......  my personal experience of them is HIDEOUS and TERRIBLE

I wouldn't touch them again with even your bargepole

I've learnt that price is just one very very important factor with insce, the other is the ( in )credulity of the insurer and their ability to stick by you

Malc

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

This must be a software driven response to key words as after reading what has been recorded above no organisation in its right mind would offer its services !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The thing is, if you look after the pennies, in this case the penny, then apparently the pounds look after themselves!  It'll be interesting to hear what they say to you regarding their unbridled generosity. And as you can see above, AF is after your business again!!

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 8:12 PM, royoftherovers said:

This must be a software driven response to key words as after reading what has been recorded above no organisation in its right mind would offer its services !

Hi.

To be fair ever insurer or broker will have a certain percentage of negative comments. We take customer service extremely seriously and I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues with ourselves.

Regards,

Dan.

14 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

To be fair ever insurer or broker will have a certain percentage of negative comments. We take customer service extremely seriously and I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues with ourselves.

Regards,

Dan.

The general view of Members is that your performance is lousy and you will need to work extremely hard to win confidence on this Forum. 

It`s up to you. Dan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Malc

Hey everyone, wasn't quite expecting this from Saga for my renewal in February  .........  and I don't think it's a joke either sadly

I've yet to call them to have a serious discussion on their humour ...................

I'm on their Fixed 3 year cover which is meant to be to my advantage, I can change at any time I know

" We've slightly reduced your price which means your renewal price for this year is £ 371.12 .......................... Your price for last year was £ 371.13

Joy of Joy a whole one penny reduction ...........  come come, it MUST surely be a joke, taking the peeeee :unsure:

Malc

Excellent! 😄
My 2000 ls430 is insured with churchill limited to 1000 miles per year for £179.20 full comp.( this one has the towbar so is my 2nd car when i need it)
My 2005 430 is insured with carole nash for 10,000 miles per year full comp for £207.42
Total : £386.62

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update on all this mullarkey .....................  I'm very very  unimpressed with SAGA tbh

If I have a crystal ball they will reduce my premium for the coming year ( from 20th Feb renewal date ) and I've said I might do 5k miles a year .... who knows ......  and my premium is down to £285 

I asked about a refund for this past 12 months as my mileage was tiny and they told me to F... Off ( essentially )

Saga have made it a policy NOT to make refunds .....  I should have told them prior I wasn't going to use the car much in that year ...  well, where was my Crystal Ball then !!  who could have foretold about Lockdowns etc

Their Complaints Dept ( I didn't realise I was making a complaint, I just wanted my query escalated too someone who could help ) have told me the Complaint is closed and I can refer it all to the FCA whatever if I wanted too

NOW guys, what do you think ........  is what's happened with car insurance this past year, and for most of us personal drivers only ...... a breach of the insurers fiduciary duty .............. akin to PPI ?

If there's a likely thought or opinion on this I might well see if there's a Class Action going on somewhere about all this !

Should insurers get away with improving their bottom line profits at the unreasonable expense of their Policyholders ?  ......  as in PPPI .......  benefitting from premiums that policyholders could not get value from 

I'm overly irritated by all this with SAGA to be sure

Malc

Have you shopped around?

A Limited Mileage policy tends to have lower premiums because they are usually aimed at "hobby" cars that are not used as everyday transport. Is your Saga policy on that basis, or did they merely ask for an estimate? You mentioned an annual mileage of 15,000 earlier, which is higher than the usual average of 10 - 12,000 miles p.a.

In any event, the mileage limit on a Limited Mileage policy is just that, so if you do less there is unlikely to be a refund, but if you end up doing more then the premium will likely increase.

There do seem to be some insurers that acknowledge limited use during the pandemic, but whether that results in refunds seems to be a grey area. Mostly they say "talk to us".

22 minutes ago, Howplum said:

Mostly they say "talk to us".

Saga said that to me the other day ...  then told me to F / O  ............ I should have known in advance that I wasn't going to do the usual 12 / 15 k miles this last year ..............  anyone used last year's Crystal Ball ?

Simply for me, the insurers that aren't being " generous " in retrospective refunds should be actioned against as in the case of PPPI methinks .......  in these specific pandemic circumstances and Govt instructed lockdowns

BUT only if someone knows of a Class Action being considered then I'd be interested to hear .............  otherwise I'll accept that the insurers are being their usual self-centred selves

Malc

Insurance premiums are always going to be a hot topic. I am also with Saga, and although not the cheapest the premium I pay is very competitive. As already mentioned though an important point with insurance is how you are treated if you make a claim.

I was with Churchill, and had to make a no fault claim. I had written proof of the other parties liability. It took 2 years to settle the claim, and a further 3 years to get my excess refunded after countless phone calls, and emails to Churchill being bounced around various departments with calls never being returned.

When I made a no fault claim with Saga the difference in the way I was treated was incredible. When ever I called them I was informed they would ring me back shortly, and they always did within 10 minutes. The return call was always the same person knowing all the details of the claim without me having to go through things every time. They provided me with a new Mercedes C class for the duration of my claim with a fully comp no excess insurance policy free of charge for the duration of the claim. This against "a tin can on wheels (Crysler Spark)" that Churchill provided insurance covered on my policy.

Although I can sympathies with Malcolm he did take out a policy with Sags at an price he was prepared to pay for the yearly millage agreed .  Saga kept there part of the agreement as far as premiums not going up. Insurance also covers things like fire, and theft that is not millage dependent.
It is not Saga's fault he did not use up the millage quota. If he wished to buy insurance based on the actual millage done each year he should have bought from a company that was prepared to do this. You cannot go into a shop, and buy 1 kilo of nails, and go back a year later with 1/2 a kilo demanding half your money back.

John.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 8:02 PM, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

When I did this my quote was over £1200 when my typical renewal is under £200. There are at leased 40 companies that will insure me for under £350.

John. 

4 hours ago, Britprius said:

Insurance premiums are always going to be a hot topic. I am also with Saga, and although not the cheapest the premium I pay is very competitive. As already mentioned though an important point with insurance is how you are treated if you make a claim.

I was with Churchill, and had to make a no fault claim. I had written proof of the other parties liability. It took 2 years to settle the claim, and a further 3 years to get my excess refunded after countless phone calls, and emails to Churchill being bounced around various departments with calls never being returned.

When I made a no fault claim with Saga the difference in the way I was treated was incredible. When ever I called them I was informed they would ring me back shortly, and they always did within 10 minutes. The return call was always the same person knowing all the details of the claim without me having to go through things every time. They provided me with a new Mercedes C class for the duration of my claim with a fully comp no excess insurance policy free of charge for the duration of the claim. This against "a tin can on wheels (Crysler Spark)" that Churchill provided insurance covered on my policy.

Although I can sympathies with Malcolm he did take out a policy with Sags at an price he was prepared to pay for the yearly millage agreed .  Saga kept there part of the agreement as far as premiums not going up. Insurance also covers things like fire, and theft that is not millage dependent.
It is not Saga's fault he did not use up the millage quota. If he wished to buy insurance based on the actual millage done each year he should have bought from a company that was prepared to do this. You cannot go into a shop, and buy 1 kilo of nails, and go back a year later with 1/2 a kilo demanding half your money back.

John.

I used Churchill for 10 years without making a claim and getting a very tight rise each year but I was living in a remote part of Scotland I was on limited 5K mileage and was OK with that .Halfway through my last year I moved back to Lancashire and informed them of that ,they duly doubled my premium for the remaining six months citing the postcode reasons .I had a gun pointed at my head so had to accept it .The following renewal with direct line came in at what I had been paying in Scotland because this Postcode is a low crime area and there was no reason to up other than to rip the back out of my good nature.

I used a lot of bad language but the operative did'nt give a *hit and Churchill lost a customer so now I just play them off against each other every year because to my mind they are all chancers and charletons.

12 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

they are all chancers and charletons.

yes I think so ...........  Saga have given me excellent prior years service ...........  A-drain F ( L ) ucks proved the exception methinks .........  I had other Ls400 insurances from time to time too ...  and Saga, god bless them, when I moved to my present postcode mid insce period quite FULLY OOOOVER-LOADED me knowing I couldn't do a thing about it, mid stream, other than pay-up

This I did, took my business to someone else following period then eventually back to Saga and hey presto ...  my postcode is NOT anything out of the ordinary and premium competitive ......  hence the mid-stream excessive loading at that time was the practice of " chancers and charletons."

But I might have mentioned that at the time ......  I've been on this Forum sooooo long

Can't see that any FCA or whatever is going to do a single thing about it eh !

Just knuckle down, tighten that belt a little and PAY-UP and for heaven's sake Malc, just stop whingeing :unsure:

Malc

But I'm digging my heels in and NOT going on a Saga Cruise, a Saga holiday,  buy Saga House insce, nor Health Insce nor Life cover etc etc:wink3:

• 3 weeks later...

ok guys this does continue, well, sort of .................... made zero progress on this and left it for the time being until I resolve the Saga insce on my Honda Legend .............  8th March raised the Q with them .... mid stream till 1st August renewal and limited 7500 miles for the period and just short of a £400 premium .........  ok at the time but with risk much now reduced ...........  covered 2460 miles thus far and that mostly taking me to and fro the hospital etc

BUT I thought I'd seek a reduction in the mileage insured and the premium ......  say to 3500 miles for the years existing cover

YES SIR that's fine, halve the mileage for the remainder period, to 3500, and you are due a refund of ( a mighty gob smacking )  £13 ........ on the premium of nigh on £400

for the 2nd time, both 8th March and now today I'm asking for the issue to be escalated .  let's see if someone does actually call me back today as promised eh !

I'm beginning to think the " uberimae fidei " concept no longer applies to the insce companies ...............  what good faith ? ........  does this not smack of a subversive sort of PPPI emerging over all of this :unsure:

Malc

Stay on the case Sherlock. Utmost good faith is a term not understood by people whose only motive is profit and personal gain.

My how times change Malc. I wonder how many of the so called leaders of Industry and or Commerce are members of their respective Professional Institutes, by examination ?

I had a call from a senior manager just now ..  as promised ......  and coz they failed to call me back at my 8th March enquiry they will give me £25 compensation for that alone ...............  I'm amazed tbh

Can't help at all, so it's now escalated at his suggestion to I guess the same Complaints Dept as before ...............  I said it's not a complaint, just an enquiry 

Interesting thing emerged from this last chat with Saga ..........  the FCA monitor all these internal complaints for volume etc ........ bet they never do anything with them tho' other than know what's going on if someone does actually complain to the FCA !

Oh for the glory days when I sat down with Roger DeHaan at Saga to discuss a business deal with him ......  his own 100% company  .....  life was full of " uberimae fidei " in those days ............  and we actually did trust each other ............  would anyone do that now I wonder :unsure:

Malc

On 3/12/2021 at 5:14 PM, Malc said:

and coz they failed to call me back at my 8th March enquiry they will give me £25 compensation for that alone ...............  I'm amazed tbh

OMG it's been credited to my card payment account today ........  £25

I'm still awaiting some sort of sensible response tho' to my query about the parsimonious £13 suggestion

I'll let you know more as they tell me

Malc

• Like 1

just spoken with a very pleasant lady from Saga Complaints Dept ...............  I reiterated I hadn't complained ........... they had spoken with the underwriters in this instance , they won't budge on the potential refund .....  max £13.23 ............  5 months to go till renewal and halving the agreed mileage to 3500 ............. so I pointed out again all the stuff above ......  no-way will their marketing induce me to buy anything further from them ....  at this time etc etc ............

so there we have it, a @£400 annual premium for 7000 miles .....  5 months to go and to halve the mileage to 3500 and it's just worth a miserly £13.23refund ........  which I declined ........... ho hum ...  s'pose they have to make profit somewhere .....  we'll just max use the Honda Legend ( this insured car ) for the next 5 months and save the Lexus for " best " .........  hahahahaha ....  I so so prefer driving my dear old Ls400 :thumbsup:

Malc

charletons and no-gooders the lot of them .....  may their profits be doused in freezing ice cream 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 2:39 PM, Malc said:

may their profits be doused in freezing ice cream

just dented their profits a little ..............  or a lot, and it's bitterly cold too, as cold as ice cream I'm sure   .....  new Honda Legend windscreen had to be fitted yesterday under the insce ..............but I contributed the usual £75 ? excess of course

Malc