Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm sure this has been covered in the past but I can't find much info.  The HID dipped bulbs are excellent but the main beam is always like the second pressing of the grape, has anyone tried different bulbs, if so any links?  Ta.

I have considered using LEDs for the high-beam (9005/HB3) but they would have to be CANBUS compliant and I don't use high beam often enough to need it to be really good. There are some 10000 Lumens per bulb LEDs out there now if you can get them to fit in the LS.

I've used 9005/HB3 OSRAM NightBreakers to good effect in motorcycles before if you are not keen on LEDs.
However, they don't last anywhere near as long as lower output halogens.

If you do find some that work well, do let us know :thumbup:

3 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

I have considered using LEDs for the high-beam (9005/HB3) but they would have to be CANBUS compliant and I don't use high beam often enough to need it to be really good. There are some 10000 Lumens per bulb LEDs out there now if you can get them to fit in the LS.

I've used 9005/HB3 OSRAM NightBreakers to good effect in motorcycles before if you are not keen on LEDs.
However, they don't last anywhere near as long as lower output halogens.

If you do find some that work well, do let us know :thumbup:

I'd happily use LED's if I could find some that would be a direct fit without showing all the warnings but I haven't found anything.  I see Rockauto sell bulbs with varying degrees of light improvement, a claim of 60-100%. About £25 for a pair delivered and I'm guessing the brighter the bulb the shorter the life.  I might just give them a try.

On 1/27/2021 at 3:33 PM, The-Acre said:

I'm sure this has been covered in the past but I can't find much info.  The HID dipped bulbs are excellent but the main beam is always like the second pressing of the grape, has anyone tried different bulbs, if so any links?  Ta.

Hi Phil

I remember putting some Philips bulbs in my 430 - I cannot remember which ones.  However, the colour temp is important - don't go above 5200K.  Don't be pulled in by the marketing BS about brightness and don't put blue ones in - humans don't see blue that well even if you thinl they look good.  This is why very white light are not always easy to see with - you see red, green and blue and slightly yellow lights are easy to see with.  If I find what I bought I'll let you know :).  I know what I bough made a huge difference.

FYI I can change the colour temp of my office lights between 3000K, 4000K and 6000K - 4000K is the most comfortable and easyist to see by.

Bren

23 minutes ago, brendangeorge said:

and slightly yellow lights are easy to see with

aha, maybe that's why the car headlamp producers enable the light lenses to yellow over time ........  built in safety by deterioration :unsure:

Malc

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brendangeorge said:

Hi Phil

I remember putting some Philips bulbs in my 430 - I cannot remember which ones.  However, the colour temp is important - don't go above 5200K.  Don't be pulled in by the marketing BS about brightness and don't put blue ones in - humans don't see blue that well even if you thinl they look good.  This is why very white light are not always easy to see with - you see red, green and blue and slightly yellow lights are easy to see with.  If I find what I bought I'll let you know :).  I know what I bough made a huge difference.

FYI I can change the colour temp of my office lights between 3000K, 4000K and 6000K - 4000K is the most comfortable and easyist to see by.

Bren

You're a gent, thank you.

1 hour ago, Malc said:

aha, maybe that's why the car headlamp producers enable the light lenses to yellow over time ........  built in safety by deterioration :unsure:

Malc

Now you tell me, I polished my headlights today!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links