Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

Just wanted to share my findings: I was looking for new 12V Battery for my GS450h (2008), and these will fit directly the battery tray in the trunk:

• Varta Blue Dynamic E23 570412063 70Ah 630A size (in mm): 261x175x220 
  • BOSCH S4 026 70Ah 630A, size (in mm): 261x175x220 
  • Yuasa YBX3030 12V 72Ah 630A SMF Battery, size (in mm): 260x174x225

The original Battery is Lexus 28800-31281 Panasonic S65D26L 57Ah 450A, size (in mm): 260x173x202.

I ended up buying the Yuasa YBX3030. Installation was really easy: the only thing you need to do is to remove the temperature sensor from OEM Battery and glue/tape it on top of the new Battery.

Picture of the temperature sensor on OEM battery:

DSC_0532.thumb.JPG.ed97a99b2baa41767b5836ed30d503b1.JPG

BR.Sami

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also some info here: 

The 4GS Battery tray will NOT accept the ~220mm wide batteries that the 3GS will, as I tried the S4 026 and absolutely no way it would go, but the Battery I mention in my post should also fit 3GS, just as another alternative. 

On a Lexus FB page someone is suggesting that the 12 v Battery needs recoding to the car and this needs to be done by the Lexus dealer.Is this the case?  It seems a bit over-complicated to me.  Also a flat Battery on the isleof Wight requiring a ferry trip to the mainland??? Not very practical!

• 2 months later...

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2021 at 9:10 AM, Sami Tilander said:

Forgot to send the final picture (showing the temp sensor + gas extraction tube)... here you go.

Capture4.thumb.PNG.87856e55876233509a03aaeb666d6758.PNG

(and no, there is no need to register new battery to the car as far as I know... I have not seen such option in the TechStream either...)

Sami,

Thank you for starting this thread. My Battery is the original dated -11106 and after an odd failure this week I have decided to replace it. I found prices for the three batteries in the first post of this thread on the Tayna website. I selected one and the site suggested an Enduroline because it was cheaper, higher capacity and longer warranty so I bought it instead. £59.95 + £7.97 delivery which is a huge saving over Lexus £230. although I will have to stick the temperature sensor on.

Before I start there is a cream thing mounted back right on the old Battery as shown in photo below. Does anyone know what it is please? Obviously a connector but i9s it simply using the Battery as a support?

Thanks

John

IMG_4614.JPG

Job now completed. I glued the temperature sensor on with a dab of Plumbers Gold.

I had to make a little male to male adaptor to fit the vent tube. There may have been one somewhere in the extremely thorough packing but I could not find one.

I tried to keep 12V connected as I changed the Battery but I knocked a lead off. The cabin was locked and with the new Battery installed I could not get in using the remote and had to use the physical key. Settings for seats, connected key fobs and windows were lost but fortunately all stuff in entertainment system - phone numbers, locations, radio station etc. - were retained.

Will this one be good for 15 years I wonder?

The temperature is a refinement no previous car of mine has had. What is controlled by the temperature of the Battery?

John 

IMG_4628.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the update John. Strange innit, old pal, how small tasks lead to almost major events ?

I now understand how the flapping of a Butterfly`s wings in S.E. Asia can  produce a Hurricane off the coast of Florida !🤣🤣

47 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

What is controlled by the temperature of the battery?

It helps to regulate the charging current. If a Battery is charged too quickly it can heat up too much, maybe buckling the plates and also causing too much gassing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

Thanks Herbie. 

As always this forum is a wonderful source of information and help.

Thanks especially to johntag and others behind the scenes.

John

I see John that you took a meandering route through a jungle and were rescued by some of the real stalwarts of this Forum.

Welcome home.👍

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Thank you very much for this thread. I am going to change my Battery for gs450h 2007. The one I am replacing is original Battery came with the vehicle. I am surprised to see how a Battery can stay active for 16+ years. So I was looking around for OEM. there is one available for £230 on eBay. Any reason for getting this or can I go with once of the cheap option from 3 mentioned above?

On 7/10/2021 at 9:58 AM, OldTrout said:

To answer my own question it is a little support which clips into a hole in the top of the battery.

I mistyped my old battery date. It is 011106 -1st November 2006. Is anyone still using an older battery?

John

Yes Still running my 2007 Original Battery

16 hours ago, MaJo said:

Yes Still running my 2007 Original battery

I had to replace the original last year. It "worked", but leave the car 'on' but without the hybrid system active for
more than a few mins and it gave up 😉

The hybrid system just means the load on the 12v is so low, pretty sure we could load half the boot up with lemons
with nails stuck in them and it would start 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am thinking of replacing my 12V Battery as well. Read somewhere that a bad 12V can also throw error code “Check Hybrid System” . And I got this error last week. But cleared the code it has not appeared since then. My hybrid system is working fine and hybrid Battery is getting charged too. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/10/2021 at 11:08 AM, OldTrout said:

Job now completed. I glued the temperature sensor on with a dab of Plumbers Gold.

I had to make a little male to male adaptor to fit the vent tube. There may have been one somewhere in the extremely thorough packing but I could not find one.

I tried to keep 12V connected as I changed the battery but I knocked a lead off. The cabin was locked and with the new battery installed I could not get in using the remote and had to use the physical key. Settings for seats, connected key fobs and windows were lost but fortunately all stuff in entertainment system - phone numbers, locations, radio station etc. - were retained.

Will this one be good for 15 years I wonder?

The temperature is a refinement no previous car of mine has had. What is controlled by the temperature of the battery?

John 

IMG_4628.jpg

So, you said that key fobs stopped working with new Battery, and you entered with physical key. So what happened next? I mean how to connect fobs to unlock car and start engine? 🙂 because tomorrow we are planning to change Battery.

• 2 months later...

I have another issue that you may be able to help me with. I have a low womping wine noise at 40-45 mph and again at 75-80 mph. I thought it might be drive shafts or diff as it comes from the back end but now Im not sure. Any ideas Peeps?