Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Proud owner of a Lexus GS 460 .  I've recently fitted a set of Borbet LX 19 inch . Which in my opinion complements the car . Obviously kept the original 18s . Only other modifications to the vehicle is the exhaust system. I have fitted a Tenabe Medallion which sounds real nice improves the sound of the V8 but not over the top.  I've kept the original exhaust. 

What I am really on here for is advice on choice of engine oil. When I bought the vehicle 18months ago it was on 37860 miles it's only on 39200miles now . Weekend milage. In that time I've changed the oil twice and bought the engine oil from Lexus dealer at a cost of approximately £200 with the filters. 

what I would like advice on is do you think I am wasting money buying from the dealer . Considering the car take 8.3 litres which bis obviously a lot of oil each service . I've seen some suggestions about something like Helix 5w 30 fully synthetic 5litres just over £20. Would people agree or disagree this oil is equivalent and the same compatibly as the recommended Lexus genuine product . 

I would like to change the oil quite regularly due to not much millage. 

By the way since the photos I've bought full set of vented Black diamond discs. Quality plus enhances the look of the alloys

IMG_20200831_182225137_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200831_182256701_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, John Smit. said:

37860 miles it's only on 39200miles now . Weekend milage. In that time I've changed the oil twice

there is really no need to change the oil at that rate . any fully synthetic oil of the correct specification will do . Recommended 0W20  @7500-10000 it appears .

• Like 2

Very nice looking car.

The new wheels really suit the car and give it a more modern look.  A little like the newer LS460 F Sport wheels to my eye.

I always use Mobil 1 but as Nick says, any genuine oil meeting the correct spec. should be fine.

May I ask how far back your Tenabe exhaust goes, is it essentially both rear boxes and tails or have you changed anything forward of that? Always nice to hear a bit of V8 burble. 👍

11 hours ago, nicnac said:

there is really no need to change the oil at that rate . any fully synthetic oil of the correct specification will do . Recommended 0W20  @7500-10000 it appears .

I've researched it a bit more and I agree with you .. Think I'm going a bit over the top and wasting money at that rate. 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Neil E said:

Very nice looking car.

The new wheels really suit the car and give it a more modern look.  A little like the newer LS460 F Sport wheels to my eye.

I always use Mobil 1 but as Nick says, any genuine oil meeting the correct spec. should be fine.

May I ask how far back your Tenabe exhaust goes, is it essentially both rear boxes and tails or have you changed anything forward of that? Always nice to hear a bit of V8 burble. 👍

I've just checked out couple of images of the LS 460 f sport. On quick glance they look very similar.. That's exactly what I was trying to achieve, give it a more modern and sporty look but keeping it subtle. 

Regarding the Tenabe I've only changed what you've said.. the both boxes and the tails ... Quality made exhaust mind can't hear any booming in the cab at any revs just the sweet sound of the engine ... I rarely us the music system it spoils things ... Lol.

Thanks for advice on oil.. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, shafque said:

Hi John. 

What's the petrol consumption like on these things? 

Hi..

In the real world...  I remember when I bought the car I drove it back on quite long trip mainly motorway's... I think I averaged 60mph = 32mpg  That is the best you will get ... The short runs I do 3/5 miles stop/starts. etc proper urban driving  14mpg.  I would probably say average driving 24mpg 3/5mile trips . There and back I mean. 

But if you love everything else about the car ... It don't matter.  

Not that bad really for a 4.6

Great car John!

The paint looks like brand new.

Exhaust and wheels looks very nice too.

Regarding oil I do have the same question. I bought my 450h 1 month ago, although the car only driven 3k km in 1 year and oil looks clean, but I'm preparing to change it some time soon. And I have the same question as you, Lexus oil vs third party oil.

13 minutes ago, ThE_0nE said:

Great car John!

The paint looks like brand new.

Exhaust and wheels looks very nice too.

Regarding oil I do have the same question. I bought my 450h 1 month ago, although the car only driven 3k km in 1 year and oil looks clean, but I'm preparing to change it some time soon. And I have the same question as you, Lexus oil vs third party oil.

Hi .

The paintwork is very good it's obviously been detailed... Only marks are little stone chips lower front spoiler.. 

No marks inside benefits of low miles I suppose .. one previous elderly owner who looked after it .

I get the same answer of friends of friends or are fitters... John oil is oil mate.. if you feel better and think it's of benefits just buy reasonably cheaper full synthetic and change it more often... So, I suppose there is no correct answer but like to listen from advice to way things up.  I'm sure the dealer will say bring it in many times as you like .£££. lol. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Smit. said:

Hi .

The paintwork is very good it's obviously been detailed... Only marks are little stone chips lower front spoiler.. 

No marks inside benefits of low miles I suppose .. one previous elderly owner who looked after it .

I get the same answer of friends of friends or are fitters... John oil is oil mate.. if you feel better and think it's of benefits just buy reasonably cheaper full synthetic and change it more often... So, I suppose there is no correct answer but like to listen from advice to way things up.  I'm sure the dealer will say bring it in many times as you like .£££. lol. 

Regarding the Lexus dealer near me ... When I bought the vehicle I bought all service parts from them including Plugs .(Didn't need to change plugs mind).  Plug stem seals. Etc. Loads of stuff.. All cheaper than aftermarket. Which was surprising.  Apart for Engine oil .. They have had good offers on engine oil mind but never when I wanted it . 

Good guy in service department Lexus nearest dealer ...

• Like 1