Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering wheel leather compressed/dented

Hi,

Currently looking at a 300h which has compression/dents to the upper steering wheel leather.  It seems the last owner didn't expect their steering lock to damage or didn't really care about it which is a shame.  Does anyone have any solution to restore it as best as possible?  

Lexus Stoke have quoted me £1800 for a replacement which is not ideal

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 19.31.53.png

• Sad 1

Plenty of suggestions on YouTube, surprisingly.  Mainly the VERY gentle application of heat with a moving hairdryer, sometimes assisted by using finger pressure to move the leather.

However, one showing how just gentle heat removed what appeared to be a substantial circular dent in the side of a Bentley car seat was quite impressive!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HM48 said:

Hi,

Currently looking at a 300h which has compression/dents to the upper steering wheel leather.  It seems the last owner didn't expect their steering lock to damage or didn't really care about it which is a shame.  Does anyone have any solution to restore it as best as possible?  

Lexus Stoke have quoted me £1800 for a replacement which is not ideal

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 19.31.53.png

If the people selling it wont put it right then walk away.

• Like 3

If you care about your car, you care about the steering wheel... and trim, and bodywork, and servicing and...

If not...?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

If the people selling it wont put it right then walk away.

That's what I'm thinking, the seller isn't even willing to reduce on price either.  Also some other issues have popped up, although the seller has sent pictures and some videos (which look ok but doesn't compare to seeing in person), he hasn't mentioned condition at all and just describes it as a 'nice car', since I've asked for details on the condition, I've had no response yet. for £30k I would have appreciated a little more information about a car I can't even go and see.  Might just hold off until I buy from a dealer or I can see in person.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, HM48 said:

That's what I'm thinking, the seller isn't even willing to reduce on price either.  Also some other issues have popped up, although the seller has sent pictures and some videos (which look ok but doesn't compare to seeing in person), he hasn't mentioned condition at all and just describes it as a 'nice car', since I've asked for details on the condition, I've had no response yet. for £30k I would have appreciated a little more information about a car I can't even go and see.  Might just hold off until I buy from a dealer or I can see in person.

Yes,  it's a private sale so the risk is all yours. It all depends on how experienced a restorer you are.

You could always ask to have it inspected by such as, say, the AA/RAC or even a friendly Lexus mechanic.  But if the owner's even slightly evasive, the best advice generally is to walk away.  And I think Piers makes a good point - if the owner's not taken the same kind of care that you would expect yourself on the bits you CAN see, who knows what horrors await on the many more bits you can't!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HM48 said:

Hamza, I would not dream of paying £30k for a private sale. You will not have any warranty from the seller and he`s not displaying the sort of attitude that would endear me to him. Walk away.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Hamza, I would not dream of paying £30k for a private sale. You will not have any warranty from the seller and he`s not displaying the sort of attitude that would endear me to him. Walk away.

I agree, definitely avoiding now.  I'm currently looking for my first Lexus so I really appreciate everyone's advice on this. Just to add I believe I've found an ES300h F-Sport which fits my needs much better, doesn't look as good but has way more features and looks great in it's own way 🙂 (And as a bonus it's from a Lexus dealer!)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HM48 said:

I agree, definitely avoiding now.  I'm currently looking for my first Lexus so I really appreciate everyone's advice on this. Just to add I believe I've found an ES300h F-Sport which fits my needs much better, doesn't look as good but has way more features and looks great in it's own way 🙂 (And as a bonus it's from a Lexus dealer!)

You must buy from a Lexus Dealer for that sort of money Hamza. Good luck.

• Like 3