Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Green Light on Engine won't Start,

Tuppence

Hi,  Help.  IS 250 mfg 2005 

Engine started.  Decided to wipe dashboard, engine must have stalled, didn't notice.  When I did, green light still on, engine won't start, green light won't go off, on it's own or by pushing it.  

• Sad 1

Hi Hilary. What did you use to wipe the dash with? It seems strange that the engine died without you noticing. Silly question but is/was there petrol in the tank? 

It says in book "when engine stalls on collision (not the case) the fuel pump shut off system stops fuel so Switch to ACC mode or OFF then restart engine.

Is ACC mode the orange light?

And as I said it won't go off green, so battery's going flat isn't it.

• Like 1

Possibly flooded.

Have a look at the following which I copied from a ten year old post.

This morning my IS250 wouldn't start. The engine turned over but it wouldn't catch. This is the first time the car didn't start on the first attempt. I was fairly sure it wasn't a failing Battery because the engine turned over quite strongly and the lights were working well and didn't dim.

After trying this a few times over the space of about 15 mins, I gave up, emailed my apologies for the 9am meeting I knew I wouldn't make and called the AA. The big yellow van arrived within about 40 mins.

No sooner was Mr AA out of the van and he asked me if I had moved the car. I said "No", thinking he was asking if I had tried to roll it. He clarified, looking at my narrow-ish driveway and asked "Did you start it up to move it out of the way of someone else". I remembered then that I had moved it briefly the previous afternoon and not used it since. The engine was probably running for all of 15 seconds. He proudly proclaimed "That's it! It's flooded!"

Now, I didn't think cars flooded since the good old days of my mother, an old Fiat and a choke. (The three of them just didn't seem to work well together!)

Apparently, I'm now well-informed, that an engine can flood if it is left running for less than a few minutes. It was a morning of revelations for me.

Anyway, as Mr AA is explaining to me how to remedy the problem, I'm breathing a sigh of relief and hoping he's right, because I had visions of the car sitting on the back of a flatbed truck, on its way to Mr Lexus, with my credit card taped to the bonnet!

The trick to starting the flooded engine, I readily observed, is to depress the accelerator. This tells the car to stop pumping fuel to the cylinders. Smart, but too-smart for me. I'd never have guessed at that bit of counter-intuitive logic. But, it worked. After three cycles of cranking the engine with the accelerator depressed, presumably burning off the excess petrol in the engine, the car started with the accelerator released.

Hope this may be of help,

Dec.

• Like 2

Could have you introduced a static shock to it at some point? May have shut down the system.

May be worth disconnecting the Battery for a few minutes, then re-connecting and see what happens. Also a good idea to read the fault code if one has been stored BEFORE you disconnect the Battery but if there is an issue it will re-appear

14 hours ago, Beamish said:

The trick to starting the flooded engine, I readily observed, is to depress the accelerator. This tells the car to stop pumping fuel to the cylinders. Smart, but too-smart for me. I'd never have guessed at that bit of counter-intuitive logic. But, it worked. After three cycles of cranking the engine with the accelerator depressed, presumably burning off the excess petrol in the engine, the car started with the accelerator released.

Dec.

Thank you.

Had to do that few times with our now-gone Volvo S80 and RX350.

It feels counter intuitive, but does work! 

Thanks IS250 NEWBIE

I had to bite the  bullet and get a recovery veh here to take it to a garage.  I would not be confident enough to disconnect Battery and think you need a garage to read the codes.  Anyhow, my late hubby was automotive engineer, now I'm completely stuffed.   Waiting to hear from garage.  Expecting it to be expensive.

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, Beamish said:

Possibly flooded.

This morning my IS250 wouldn't start. The engine turned over but it wouldn't catch. This is the first time the car didn't start on the first attempt. I was fairly sure it wasn't a failing battery because the engine turned over quite strongly and the lights were working well and didn't dim.

After trying this a few times over the space of about 15 mins, I gave up, emailed my apologies for the 9am meeting I knew I wouldn't make and called the AA. The big yellow van arrived within about 40 mins.

No sooner was Mr AA out of the van and he asked me if I had moved the car. I said "No", thinking he was asking if I had tried to roll it. He clarified, looking at my narrow-ish driveway and asked "Did you start it up to move it out of the way of someone else". I remembered then that I had moved it briefly the previous afternoon and not used it since. The engine was probably running for all of 15 seconds. He proudly proclaimed "That's it! It's flooded!"

Now, I didn't think cars flooded since the good old days of my mother, an old Fiat and a choke. (The three of them just didn't seem to work well together!)

Apparently, I'm now well-informed, that an engine can flood if it is left running for less than a few minutes. It was a morning of revelations for me.

Anyway, as Mr AA is explaining to me how to remedy the problem, I'm breathing a sigh of relief and hoping he's right, because I had visions of the car sitting on the back of a flatbed truck, on its way to Mr Lexus, with my credit card taped to the bonnet!

Dec.

This is exactly what happened to me.......or maybe that was me.  RAC man said to try and never just start the car to say reverse it out of a parking space as the engine will be sucking petrol from a cold start.  Stopping the engine then leaves a lot of petrol in the system and floods the engine.  RAC man did exactly the same thing to get the car started.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tuppence said:

Thanks IS250 NEWBIE

I had to bite the  bullet and get a recovery veh here to take it to a garage.  I would not be confident enough to disconnect battery and think you need a garage to read the codes.  Anyhow, my late hubby was automotive engineer, now I'm completely stuffed.   Waiting to hear from garage.  Expecting it to be expensive.

I would be surprised if it is expensive as it did start and run.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2021 at 5:38 PM, Beamish said:

Possibly flooded.

This morning my IS250 wouldn't start. The engine turned over but it wouldn't catch. This is the first time the car didn't start on the first attempt. I was fairly sure it wasn't a failing battery because the engine turned over quite strongly and the lights were working well and didn't dim.

Dec.

Did the same with my old Honda accord. AA man got it going in 2 minutes. Same exactly.

• Like 1

Same with VolvoC70 in the past.  Since then I’ve always run a car up the road and back rather than just move it.  Solution in this case was remove fuel pump relay and crank the engine.  Excess fuel then blown out of the system.

• Like 1

Adge,  Thanks for that reply.  Car still at garage, not heard anything.  I could not move the car though.  Green light on, no engine starting, couldn't switch green light off.

• Sad 1

“About 50 miles worth”

That prob equates to just over a gallon  sloshing around in bottom of tank, 
Note the fuel pump ( electric powered) is IN the fuel tank and submerged in the actual fuel, it is this fuel that keeps it cool so if you use your car constantly on low/very low fuel levels then the pump is not effectively going to get cooled and may actually fail due to the fact that fuel was constantly low!

I see people all the time at fuel pumps just putting £10 of fuel in and wonder how Their fuel pump is holding up?

Thanks Texus,

I think actually the "distance left" was saying between 60 and 70.  Was going to go to garage for petrol while out with dogs.  Don't run it low all the time, fill use it, fill it.

Garage emailed to say they have looked at the electrical fault on my car and will tell me more on Weds.

No, it went to Toyota Limoges late yesterday, I emailed this morning, no reply.  Language a bit difficult for me with French and cars so didn't phone, will have to if I don't hear Fri am I suppose.  But they will find the most expensive to do even if it doesn't need doing.  Past experience, but can't do anything about that.  Was trying to avoid it going there.

So I plucked up the courage to phone them today.  They have had it a week tomorrow and they have not found the problem, they are continuing to look.

How long should I let them "look" for and given it won't start I am just stuck with paying for them to "look" forever.  As well as living in the countryside.

Have never take car into Lexus for work - only the one time with an old IS200 when i wanted the cam belt changed - over 13 years of owning a Lexus i have never needed to put it into a garage. (touch wood) ... Anyway, will they give you a report of what they have looked at or changed, at this point in time are they replacing parts trying to find the issue or are they just investigating... not sure how a dealer would approach this ? have you agreed a cost or have they indicated a cost for time taken to investigate?

It's difficult due to my lack of French.  Then there's them.  He is just going to continue to look and will phone me when he's found something.  End of conversation.  So not counting the fact that I don't know anybody I have to try to find someone who can/will at least advise, would prefer someone who speaks Fr and Eng and knows about cars.  Not much to ask!!!  Your comments above have given me some pointers about what to ask them etc.  They like to be difficult and not use email which is easier for me I could understand that more than tel.call and have time to work out a reply.  They are nasty with a smile I feel when you go there.  

I'm very surprised at the behaviour of that Toyota dealership. I can only assume they or at least the person you deal with are racist. Personally I'd contact the dealer manager and put your concerns to them. I think they're fobbing you off. 

Find a lexus dealer and phone them. I bet you get an English speaking person. 

Thanks for that.  They are the only one for miles.  Foreign vehicles not that popular in France so always been difficult to find a garage to deal with and only this one Toyota and one Mazda (used to have Mazdas before my late hubby bought this rubbish object).  It is only recently garages say "all makes" for repairs, as does the 1st one it went to but they can't cope very often.

Am going to try to find a auto expert type person they have here to sort out problems in case one can help, also there is a retired UK Toyota workshop manager around, have asked a contact if I can phone him for advice, don't expect him to get involved and of course people don't want to, understand that.  He'll know a reasonable time to "look" for the problem.  Maybe what it might be.  He did confirm to be a few years ago when I did take the car to him that they were trying to cheat me and probably had with what had gone before.  (only 12K).