Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus CT200h gearbox

Lecrolouis

I don’t seem to find a conclusive answer on line to this question, so hope those with more knowledge than I can help.

Is the CV gearbox an epicyclic type or a cone/belt?  2013 model.

Most short videos on line show the sun gear, planetary and ring gear but it doesn’t specifically mention this model.

Thanks in anticipation.

41 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Is this the one we have in the CT200H?

No. The CTdoes not have a transmission that has any ratio changes in the normal sense. It has no reverse gear or true neutral "that is there are no gears that come into mesh or go out of mesh".

The simplest way to describe it's operation is to liken it to a differential where power comes in at the input shaft. The one output shaft drives the wheels through a differential, and the second output shaft goes to a motor/generator. Varying the speed, and direction of this motor varies the speed of the drive output shaft. There is a second motor/generator on the first output shaft that can assist drive or used as a generator give regen braking. 

Reverse is done by reversing the electric drive motor, and neutral is accomplished by removing supplies to the motors.

John. 

• Like 2

These Weber Auto videos give a view on what's going on in the eCVT Toyota/Lexus box.

Perhaps you've seen these already?

Note: The large disc that looks just like a clutch is actually a torsional damper, which never disengages - it has no mechanism to disengage!

• Like 1