Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300h 2017 front right wheel bearing

Hi, I wonder if someone can help.  I have a 67 plate is300h with 60k miles.  My front wheel bearing is gone.  Is this a premature wear and tear or is it in line with what the mileage and of the car?  Lexus have quoted £540 just for the part.  Also does anyone know if there are any other alternatives or is lexus the only supplier?  Will a pre facelift model wheel bearing fit? I hope I made some sense as I am clueless when it comes to cars. Thanks

35 minutes ago, Hamza_2803 said:

Hi, I wonder if someone can help.  I have a 67 plate is300h with 60k miles.  My front wheel bearing is gone.  Is this a premature wear and tear or is it in line with what the mileage and of the car?  Lexus have quoted £540 just for the part.  Also does anyone know if there are any other alternatives or is lexus the only supplier?  Will a pre facelift model wheel bearing fit? I hope I made some sense as I am clueless when it comes to cars. Thanks

Hi Hamza. It could be wear and tear and it could be premature. Depends on many things.

Going forward ,why don`t you consider taking out a Lexus Extended Warranty which for an average of £40 odd per month will cover you against any Electrical or Mechanical failures for 2 years. You can then renew for a further two until the vehicle is 10 years old.

Considering that you say you are clueless, it could be a very sensible move for you.

Good luck.

Hi Roy, thanks for the reply.  I was considering taking out the extended warranty.  Will the wheel bearing be covered under this and if it will be, would they not turn around and say it was a pre existing fault and would not cover it?  Thanks

58 minutes ago, Hamza_2803 said:

Hi Roy, thanks for the reply.  I was considering taking out the extended warranty.  Will the wheel bearing be covered under this and if it will be, would they not turn around and say it was a pre existing fault and would not cover it?  Thanks

I would not expect it to be covered, buut if you speak nicely to the Lexusman who sells you the Extended Warranty, you just never know !

Do you know if Lexus will resolve an issue after the expiry of the warranty if the car was bought and maintained by the dealer.  I have heard that in some cases other brands may cover for a further 6 months after the 3 yeras warranty has come to an end. 

3 minutes ago, Hamza_2803 said:

Do you know if Lexus will resolve an issue after the expiry of the warranty if the car was bought and maintained by the dealer.  I have heard that in some cases other brands may cover for a further 6 months after the 3 yeras warranty has come to an end. 

If you don`t ask nicely (and try to look sad and downhearted and despondent ), you will never find out Hamza.😢😢

• Haha 1

£540 for a wheel bearing?? Are you sure that's not for all 4?

Have a look at this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS200T-IS300H-Hybrid-2015-Front-Wheel-Hub-Bearing-Fast-Dispatch-/202967180472?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

You could have it fitted by any decent car mechanic who has the right equipment, I wouldn't anticipate paying more than 2 hours labour charge.

• Like 1

Two different suppliers at RockAuto - £23 or £51 + delivery + VAT + customs.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lexus,2017,is200t,2.0l+l4+turbocharged,3394018,brake+&+wheel+hub,wheel+bearing+&+hub,1636

You cannot take out a warranty and get a pre-existing fault repaired.

If you were to get the vehicle repaired (with a genuine Lexus part) and take out a warranty then the bearing would be covered if it were to fail again in the future provided you haven't damaged it via a damaged or incorrectly sized wheel/tyre.

3 hours ago, Hamza_2803 said:

Do you know if Lexus will resolve an issue after the expiry of the warranty if the car was bought and maintained by the dealer. 

That would be at Lexus GB's discretion - and you could claim that it started to fail within the warranty period.

I managed to get it for 115 and fitted for 60.  Didnt realise how much of a rip off dealers are.  This was my first major issue and hopefully last until I sell this car.  Thanks for the help and advice everyone and for that eBay link.  I would have ended up buying one from the dealer for 540.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 1:20 PM, royoftherovers said:

Hi Hamza. It could be wear and tear and it could be premature. Depends on many things.

Going forward ,why don`t you consider taking out a Lexus Extended Warranty which for an average of £40 odd per month will cover you against any Electrical or Mechanical failures for 2 years. You can then renew for a further two until the vehicle is 10 years old.

Considering that you say you are clueless, it could be a very sensible move for you.

Good luck.

How’s your commission going on the sale of Lexus warranties? 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

How’s your commission going on the sale of Lexus warranties? 😂

Nice thoughtful and really well structured question Paul old pal.

Would be welcome if it were so, but all I`m trying to do is to make Members`aware of its existence because for a relatively small amount monthly it can pay huge benefits ( a bit like the lottery, I suppose)😉

I've had the Lexus Extended Warranty on my 2014 IS 300h since the initial 3 year warranty expired and have made two claims now - one for a low windscreen washer reservoir sensor that stopped working - I was told that would have been ~£400 to replace (!) if I had not had the Extended Warranty - and one for both front wheel bearings (went in at about 80k miles for one wheel bearing making a noise and they did that one and then when they compared the new one to the other (old bearing) side took it on themselves to do both - no complaints from me) - didn't ask what that would have cost. All in, including the fact that I have breakdown cover (for both me and my wife's car) and MoTs included in the Extended Warranty I feel I am breakeven, maybe better, and so for ongoing peace of mind will continue with the Extended Warranty for as long as I own the car or until I am unable to have cover due to its age/mileage if I keep it that long. Like most warranty/insurance policies, each person will have their own appetite for risk - all cars can go wrong - even Lexus.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Phil. That`s what I do too. Claims are infrequent if at all, but my goodness they can amount to large sums.

Some Members choose not to take the Warranty out while others are not even aware that for a relatively small average monthly payment they can enjoy peace of mind for up to 10 years or 140,000 miles.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hamza_2803 said:

Yes I was abit shocked when he said 60.  Didnt argue with him at all.  Can I just ask, I am out of warranty right now.  Can I still extend it or is it too late for me to do so? 

You can take out a Lexus Extended Warranty for a 2 year term, every 2 years until your car is 10 years old Hamza

4 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Nice thoughtful and really well structured question Paul old pal.

Would be welcome if it were so, but all I`m trying to do is to make Members`aware of its existence because for a relatively small amount monthly it can pay huge benefits ( a bit like the lottery, I suppose)😉

It’s a risk and reward thing and everyone has a different view of both of those I think. Glad to hear you are not personally profiting from all these warranties you keep pushing 😉😀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hamza_2803 said:

I see.. I thought you could only extend it before the original warranty expired.  Will definately extend.  Its good to have that peace of mind! 

They might want to check that the car is all ok (no outstanding faults) before they will put the Extended Warranty in place - they will advice when you talk to them on that if needed. Also, note that if you take Extended Warranty then you MUST have the car serviced on schedule by Lexus dealers as part of the Extended Warranty conditions. Until the car is 5 years old this will be the full price servicing - see: Lexus Vehicle Servicing & Maintenance | Lexus UK - scroll down and enter the car model to see prices - but after 5 years old it can be done by Lexus as an Essential Care service (which is about one-third cheaper than the under 5 year old servicing costs) - see: Lexus Essential Care | Lexus UK - scroll down to enter the car model to see prices - the IS 300h isn't listed yet but it's very close to the IS 250 in costs when I have mine done under Essential Care.

• Like 1