Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Electronic Bullying

Twice now I have left my wife in the unlocked car while I go round the corner to a shop. Each time the doors have locked and the alarm has gone off. She can neither get out of the car nor stop the alarm. It seems there is no way to choose whether you want or don’t want to set the alarm. My last two cars over 6 years ownership have both worked with the key in my pocket so it’s difficult to remember to leave the key in the car with the passenger. This is bad design!

I would just like to understand this issue better.

You stop the car, switch off, get out of the unlocked car (with the key in your pocket), walk off and the car locks and alarms itself.

If I have understood this correctly, then there is certainly a fault in the key detection system. On our NX you can get out and leave the car unlocked with no issues and it does nothing but sit there.

• Like 1

Go to page 84-86 in the manual. It seems as though the system sets after 30 seconds if you walk away with the key, but there are customisable options for situations where - such as the example given in the handbook - leaving a pet inside the car, such as being able to disable the alarm using the button on the roof by the rear view mirror. 

I haven’t read it fully, but the answers do appear to be available. 

Thanks for replying Malcolmw but yes that’s what my car does. The button mentioned by First_Lexus works when I lock the car on a ferry for instance but I haven’t tried that leaving the car unlocked. If my wife can stand it I’ll try that next. 

29 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Go to page 84-86 in the manual. It seems as though the system sets after 30 seconds if you walk away with the key, but there are customisable options for situations where - such as the example given in the handbook - leaving a pet inside the car, such as being able to disable the alarm using the button on the roof by the rear view mirror. 

I haven’t read it fully, but the answers do appear to be available. 

Hallelujah !!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tuneless said:

Thanks for replying Malcolmw but yes that’s what my car does. The button mentioned by First_Lexus works when I lock the car on a ferry for instance but I haven’t tried that leaving the car unlocked. If my wife can stand it I’ll try that next. 

Now, how did I know that when I haven`t got wot you got Paul ?

On the basis of what you wrote you effectively walked away from an unlocked car ! But Lexus wouldn`t let that happen would it ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tuneless said:

I could be wrong, but I think as long as the car isn’t double locked - and I think you’d have to do that specifically by double tapping the exterior handle - your wife should be able to unlock the doors even when locked using the button on the driver side armrest, next to the electric window switches.

Well, I have read pages 84 to 88 and 116 onwards in the manual and I don't understand it. The alarm does set 30 seconds after you lock the car. The car does automatically lock after 30 seconds if you unlock it and don't open a door but what it does not do is lock itself and arm the alarm if you get out and walk away leaving it unlocked. Can you indicate where this is expressed in the manual.

I have washed the car many times leaving it unlocked on the drive with the key well away from the car.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

Well, I have read pages 84 to 88 and 116 onwards in the manual and I don't understand it. The alarm does set 30 seconds after you lock the car. The car does automatically lock after 30 seconds if you unlock it and don't open a door but what it does not do is lock itself and arm the alarm if you get out and walk away leaving it unlocked. Can you indicate where this is expressed in the manual.

I have washed the car many times leaving it unlocked on the drive with the key well away from the car.

Really sorry, but it’s not a problem for me so I’m not going to spend time going through the manual when others can do that! I was simply trying to help.

My NX locks itself when I’m cleaning it. My previous NX did the same. Perhaps your car came with some of the security features disabled? Since it doesn’t impact me I’m afraid I’m not going to waste any more time on it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Really sorry, but it’s not a problem for me so I’m not going to spend time going through the manual when others can do that! I was simply trying to help.

My NX locks itself when I’m cleaning it. My previous NX did the same. Perhaps your car came with some of the security features disabled? Since it doesn’t impact me I’m afraid I’m not going to waste any more time on it.

You little Tinker. Well said.

41 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

Same here!

On 30/01/2021 at 6:45 PM, royoftherovers said:

The wife was left in an unlocked car so, one might ask why the alarm went off if the car was unlocked ?

I think he's saying that he left it unlocked, but after he walked away it locked itself and set the alarm. This is not my experience at all, I didn't know you could set the NX to auto lock in these circumstances.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 4:34 PM, malcolmw said:

I would just like to understand this issue better.

You stop the car, switch off, get out of the unlocked car (with the key in your pocket), walk off and the car locks and alarms itself.

If I have understood this correctly, then there is certainly a fault in the key detection system. On our NX you can get out and leave the car unlocked with no issues and it does nothing but sit there.

Yes, same here. I can walk away after exiting the car and it does not lock itself. 

I need to touch the front of the handle or the key fob to lock it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

My NX doesn’t auto-lock. A 65 plate Luxury.

Thinking I was going mad, I’ve checked again this morning. As I thought, when unlocked and left alone it auto-locks - including folding the mirrors - after about 25 seconds. All I can suggest is that there’s a setting somewhere which some cars have disabled (or enabled depending on how you look at it).

@First_LexusWhen you unlocked it, did you open a door or just leave it? If you don't open something then it does, indeed, relock itself.

I have had a look through the locking options and can't see a setting that would enable this feature. Oh well...

8 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

@First_LexusWhen you unlocked it, did you open a door or just leave it? If you don't open something then it does, indeed, relock itself.

I have had a look through the locking options and can't see a setting that would enable this feature. Oh well...

As I said in an earlier post, when I clean the car - so doors open to vacuum - it is always locked again by the time I’ve gone inside and gone back out again. One of my neighbours mentioned it once, thinking it was some sort of witchcraft as there was nobody around...

...so, either my car is unique (unlikely) or - as the OP finds the same thing - there is a setting somewhere that can be amended. I always assumed they all did it, and never gave it a thought until this post, as most keyless entry cars from other manufacturers do the same thing (well, MINI, BMW, and VW definitely do).

When I wash my car, I always unlock it, open and close one of the doors and then put the key on the shelf at the back-end of the garage and then no problems. if I just unlock it without opening a door, then it will lock itself again.

I'm pretty sure that my car won't lock itself again if I have opened and closed one of the doors.  I would have to physically do it myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

As I said in an earlier post, when I clean the car - so doors open to vacuum - it is always locked again by the time I’ve gone inside and gone back out again. One of my neighbours mentioned it once, thinking it was some sort of witchcraft as there was nobody around...

...so, either my car is unique (unlikely) or - as the OP finds the same thing - there is a setting somewhere that can be amended. I always assumed they all did it, and never gave it a thought until this post, as most keyless entry cars from other manufacturers do the same thing (well, MINI, BMW, and VW definitely do).

Will definitely be an option within the software parameter.......the sw used on a range of cars is identical and depending on what options are built into the car, physically, the SW is either enabled or not.  For example......on a Mazda 3 I had I bought a new steering wheel with cruise on it, checked that the correct sensor was behind the brake pedal, took the car to a Mazda dealer and asked them to enable cruise within the sw.  They said they had never done it before but would try it.  Hey presto.....cruise enabled on a basic spec Mazda 3 for about £120.  Also, different countries have different rules for how things work....like auto locking 10 secs after driving off etc. so maybe the car was set up differently.  Suggest head to a good Lexus dealer and ask them to programme it the way you want it but be prepared for some blank stares from the technicians.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KenMavor said:

Will definitely be an option within the software parameter.......the sw used on a range of cars is identical and depending on what options are built into the car, physically, the SW is either enabled or not.  For example......on a Mazda 3 I had I bought a new steering wheel with cruise on it, checked that the correct sensor was behind the brake pedal, took the car to a Mazda dealer and asked them to enable cruise within the sw.  They said they had never done it before but would try it.  Hey presto.....cruise enabled on a basic spec Mazda 3 for about £120.  Also, different countries have different rules for how things work....like auto locking 10 secs after driving off etc. so maybe the car was set up differently.  Suggest head to a good Lexus dealer and ask them to programme it the way you want it but be prepared for some blank stares from the technicians.

That isn't typically how Toyota build their vehicles. You will have different ECUs with different part codes and different software options available in different parts of the world and you cannot just enable a feature that is available in the US on the European vehicle, and you cannot easily load different firmware on them to change the region.

They also don't fit sensors to vehicles that don't have that option installed. In most cases a different wiring loom is used so even the wiring to the sensor doesn't exist. There are exceptions to the rule but in most cases this is true.

With regards to auto locking of doors. I'm not aware of any UK Lexus having that feature up to at least 2016. Maybe it is something that has come in on the newest models?

12 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Thinking I was going mad, I’ve checked again this morning. As I thought, when unlocked and left alone it auto-locks - including folding the mirrors - after about 25 seconds. All I can suggest is that there’s a setting somewhere which some cars have disabled (or enabled depending on how you look at it).

I’m going to check mine again now! I know it auto-locks if I don’t open a door after unlocking it. Pretty sure if I unlock it then open a door and shut it again but not lock it and then hide the key in the garage that it doesn’t auto-lock. This is what I do when I was it. I will check this. Might be me going mad 😂

20 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I’m going to check mine again now! I know it auto-locks if I don’t open a door after unlocking it. Pretty sure if I unlock it then open a door and shut it again but not lock it and then hide the key in the garage that it doesn’t auto-lock. This is what I do when I was it. I will check this. Might be me going mad 😂

No, you're right, that's correct. I do this when I'm cleaning it too.

• Thanks 1