Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF 6-year service - spark plugs

Hi everyone, my RCF is going in to Lexus for its 6-year service this week (the big one! ££££) and I will be having the spark plugs changed as per the schedule. My car only has 20k miles on it so do you think the plugs are worth keeping or selling? My car still has over a year of the Lexus extended warranty remaining so I’m definitely having them changed out. Your views are welcome. Cheers

I don't want to appear sarcastic, but is this a serious post? Who would risk fitting second-hand spark plugs?

In the old days I would use a good old plug to trace a missfire, and then replace with new. I know they're expensive, but??

If it's the 6th service I shouldn't think the oil has done many miles. Perhaps offer that free to sweeten the deal? ( that is being sarcastic )

Thanks Colin - I thought the requirement to change the plugs, like the service, was every 6 years *or* 60k?

PRT68 - given my understanding that the plugs had to be taken out to keep my warranty, I was wondering if they would be worth keeping that’s all. Lexus charge £300 for them (fitted), so I thought something so lightly used could be of use in future. I wasn’t sure to be honest, so a non-sarcastic ‘no’ would have sufficed.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Plug schedule is every 60k miles - no time period. Therefore request the plugs aren't changed and get a discount from the standard 60k service price.

Yeah I also believed this was the case. 

Bloody iridium sparks 😂📈

9 hours ago, Keith_W said:

Thanks Colin - I thought the requirement to change the plugs, like the service, was every 6 years *or* 60k?

No, spark plugs are an exception to mileage or age. They don't degrade with time, only use. Same for all Toyota vehicles.

220896179_Screenshot2021-02-01at09_08_04.thumb.png.ee47fc202e4afa411f0c9c9864682ab4.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BillNick said:

Interesting. It would make the 6 year package a lot cheaper.....but how that will stand up in your history is another question 🤔

Dealers can be inconsistent but some would write no plugs on the service book for that service. The invoice would probably state the same or show a 20/40k service was carried out rather than 60k (if there is nothing else special about 60k (cannot remember)).

• Like 1

Blimey Keith. £300 to change 8 spark plugs? Now I don't know if there's a difference between the plugs in the 5.0 little V8 to the 2.5 V6 but fir my is250 Lexus Stockport quoted £25 per plug.

I can't see why you are concerning yourself so much regarding the plugs in your spectacular 20k mile car. Leave them be unless you have noticed a deterioration in performance in your car. Don't you have a service plan on your car? 

My RC-F is due its 6yr service this August. When I book it I will challenge the plugs as I have only done 25k.

That said, I will be 1 year into a 2yr warranty which I intend to uphold so they might insist....still, 10% Gold Member Discount will help too.

Mines going in for its biggie service next couple of weeks as I’ve tipped just over 70k in mine...i bought my car to be driven not used as a driveway princess 😂.... independent Toyota garage doing mine as wayyyyyyyy way cheaper than lexus stealers as its the same oil and filter etc used by Toyota, had Toyota independent from lexus service all my lexus from a LS400,GS450,LS600,SC430 and the RC F, no complaints and more money saved to put back in as fuel for way more smiles per mile

Thanks everyone. I don’t know why the plugs are so expensive but that’s what Lexus charge.
Vlad, I don’t have a service plan - just a Lexus warranty.

The service plan says 60k miles for the plugs (which sounds right for iridium plugs across all other manufacture types as well), so I won’t have them changed. 

3 minutes ago, mr2lad said:

Mines going in for its biggie service next couple of weeks as I’ve tipped just over 70k in mine...i bought my car to be driven not used as a driveway princess 😂.... independent Toyota garage doing mine as wayyyyyyyy way cheaper than lexus stealers as its the same oil and filter etc used by Toyota, had Toyota independent from lexus service all my lexus from a LS400,GS450,LS600,SC430 and the RC F, no complaints and more money saved to put back in as fuel for way more smiles per mile

Good shout, I’m going to stick with Lexus while I have a warranty. Mine was a driveway Queen for the previous owners - I use it as a daily!

3 hours ago, Keith_W said:

Good shout, I’m going to stick with Lexus while I have a warranty. Mine was a driveway Queen for the previous owners - I use it as a daily!

I do a 600ml commute one way to work and return home 2wks later then after a week off back up north again, 

I live in Surrey and work out of Aberdeen... I look forward to the drive every time 👍🏻

14 hours ago, Keith_W said:

Same for me. I bought it on 23900 in October, now on 25,500 despite lockdown restrictions.

Only wish I had somewhere to go each week like you do @mr2lad

21 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Blimey Keith. £300 to change 8 spark plugs? Now I don't know if there's a difference between the plugs in the 5.0 little V8 to the 2.5 V6 but fir my is250 Lexus Stockport quoted £25 per plug.

I can't see why you are concerning yourself so much regarding the plugs in your spectacular 20k mile car. Leave them be unless you have noticed a deterioration in performance in your car. Don't you have a service plan on your car? 

I recall when I had my IS250 changing 3 of the plugs was straightforward but the inlet manifold had to be removed to get at the other three.

I can’t imagine the a plug change on the V8 would be an easy diy job.

On 2/2/2021 at 2:09 PM, XK140 said:

I recall when I had my IS250 changing 3 of the plugs was straightforward but the inlet manifold had to be removed to get at the other three.

I can’t imagine the a plug change on the V8 would be an easy diy job.

Nothing too difficult but certainly adds time:

• remove power steering ECU
  • remove Battery
  • remove Battery tray
  • unbolt engine room relay block 1 and cable clamps so it can be moved out of the way
  • unbolt engine room relay block 3 and cable clamps so it can be moved out of the way

then you can get to all the coil packs/plugs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluethunder said:

@Keith_W Hi Keith, did you speak to Lexus about not changing the spark plugs for the 60K service? 

I need to book the same service next month and in a similar position to you in terms of low mileage.

Had it serviced today. Dealership agreed that the plugs did not require replacement. As was mentioned on this thread, the schedule in the service book says iridium plugs require replacement at 60k miles only and not every 6 years. £300 (ish) saved!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2021 at 10:20 PM, Keith_W said:

Had it serviced today. Dealership agreed that the plugs did not require replacement. As was mentioned on this thread, the schedule in the service book says iridium plugs require replacement at 60k miles only and not every 6 years. £300 (ish) saved!

Which dealership was that, mate? Cheers