Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is my 2005 Rx400h SE supposed to have a reversing camera?

Hi, 

I bought my first Lexus yesterday. So far so good, I'm trying to get used to all the electronica. Can anyone please tell me if it's supposed to have a reversing / back up camera? When I go into reverse nothing happens on the display, it stays the same.  It has (very quiet) sensors, but I'm sure I would find the camera useful. Is there something I'm not doing? Or does this model just not have one? Thank you!  :-)

I can't see any clues that I do have a built-in satnav - that explains that then, thank you!  Is there a reasonably priced reversing camera that works in the dark I could buy and fit (bearing in mind I am not a mechanic, electrician or Man)? I had to do some tight manoeuvring in tiny dark/rainy car park and had to rely on the parking sensors and it was rather nerve-wracking 😱

Got to be honest and say that as I've never needed to look for one, I'm afraid that I haven't got a clue.

I'm sure that Google will be your friend though Kettle. If you see something but want a second opinion before buying I'm sure someone will be able to help.

EDIT - scrap my earlier thoughts, I was getting mixed up with the RX300 where there is sometimes only a small display that shows things like airflow and so on. Now that I think about it I'm sure all RX400h's should have a camera with the display showing on the same screen where you see the energy flow and so on.

Of course, the camera only comes on when you select reverse so could you put it in reverse, with your foot very firmly planted on the footbrake so that the car doesn't go anywhere, and take a photo of the screen for us to see?

The first photo shows the sort of display that definitely will not have a camera, second photo shows a screen where a camera is a distinct possibility:

EDIT No. 2 - forget all this rubbish (I'm blaming it on being locked down for so long and too much beer) and just look at the bottom photo. You'll just about see the location of the camera in the top left of the number plate recess so that's where you'll find yours if you have one

nocam.thumb.jpg.767ec621be86f459106e9aa7b84f9ec1.jpg

cam.thumb.jpg.c32aeda135b49fc9b443a83cdb652d63.jpg

camlocation.thumb.jpg.6074abb6974ed5869bfebf11a6418b3f.jpg

31 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Now that I think about it I'm sure all RX400h's should have a camera with the display showing on the same screen where you see the energy flow and so on.

No, same as the 300 - only standard on the SE-L and option on SE. Nav and reversing camera come together, you cannot have one without the other.

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

No, same as the 300 - only standard on the SE-L and option on SE. Nav and reversing camera come together, you cannot have one without the other.

Aha, right, cheers Colin.

I sometimes think that time alone should mean that some stuff would be fitted as standard, ie, some of the 300s had a camera but the 400s, being newer, should all have them. Thanks for putting me straight 😊

1 minute ago, Herbie said:

I sometimes think that time alone should mean that some stuff would be fitted as standard, ie, some of the 300s had a camera but the 400s, being newer, should all have them. Thanks for putting me straight 😊

It's all a bit inconsistent actually. The series I RX all had a touch screen as standard, whether you had nav or not - if you pressed the Nav button it would just come up on the screen that Nav module cannot be found.

But on the series II they used the two different approaches - the smaller LCD for non-nav vehicles and the bigger LCD touch screen for vehicles fitted with Nav.

• Like 1

Thanks guys - Herbie, mine looks more like the one in the top pic (no lovely walnut though!). I'll double check camera on by reg plate tomorrow though to be sure ColinB, does this mean I have a series II? The manual is a bit generic I think. 

Worried now I might have a leaky boot after reading through this forum! Soon find out after all this precipitation! Haha 😳  I'll post pics tomorrow. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, putkettleon said:

does this mean I have a series II? The manual is a bit generic I think. 

Worried now I might have a leaky boot after reading through this forum! Soon find out after all this precipitation!

Yes you have a series II. In the UK the Series I was 2000 to 2003, series II 2003 to 2009, series III 2019 to 2016 and series IV 2016+.  The 400h was only available as a series II, it changed to the 450h with series III.

Certainly check the boot carefully and also look in the rear lights to see if any water is in the bottom of them.

4 hours ago, nelmo said:

TBH, sensors are better in the dark than the camera anyway. Unless there are streetlights, the camera is almost useless... 

About that...i was thinking to mount somewhere on the lower part of the boot 2xCree LED for having real reversing lights ...cause as you said earlier - w/o them camera is useless.

In the past I've fitted two reversing cameras with the screen stuck to the corner of the dash and they've been brilliant, and only about £20! The image is crystal clear and even works well in the dark, plenty on eBay.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

In the past I've fitted two reversing cameras with the screen stuck to the corner of the dash and they've been brilliant, and only about £20! The image is crystal clear and even works well in the dark, plenty on eBay.

What you mean by "two" ? Two at the same time ? How you fitted them into the satnav cables ?

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Really, this sounds interesting!

10 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Yes you have a series II. In the UK the Series I was 2000 to 2003, series II 2003 to 2009, series III 2019 to 2016 and series IV 2016+.  The 400h was only available as a series II, it changed to the 450h with series III.

Certainly check the boot carefully and also look in the rear lights to see if any water is in the bottom of them.

I shall. I didn't get chance today but shall have a good look this when I'm feeling brave

2 hours ago, impero said:

What you mean by "two" ? Two at the same time ? How you fitted them into the satnav cables ?

No, on two different cars, both LS's. The kits come with camera, monitor and cables, there's very little wiring to do.

This is one I fitted about 6 years ago, now they only cost about £18, and this is me not running my dog over!

post-32919-0-11637400-1359302105.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 9:04 AM, ColinBarber said:

Hmm. Not sure how to get the plastic trays out of the boot :-/ no water in lights though :-)