Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Since Lockdown the car has only been used for short local, shopping trips.  Not enough long journeys to sustain the Battery capacity.

Following another non start this morning, with Temperatures close to zero, time has come to replace it.   My recent purchase of a Battery booster

unit has saved me a lot of time and hassle.  The present Battery is a three year old Halfords unit.  No problems with it up till now, but lack of use

seems to have LED to some deterioration in the Cells.   Recently, my local Garage who I use frequently and trust, recommended only two Battery

makes for this size of engine.   Yuasa or Bosch.   He said that others are not up to the Power required to start a V8 and will deteriorate sooner than expected.

Price is not a problem, and I am being persuaded towards Yuasa,  but any comments would be appreciated.

52 minutes ago, Howplum said:

I found that Lexus batteries are competitive and will fit perfectly.

I agree with that.

In 12 years of driving a couple of LS430s I've had to buy 3 new batteries and each time a genuine Lexus/Toyota Battery from the main dealer has been the cheapest option by far.

Supprising realy given the price of their Bonnet gas struts ! ! !

John N

I've never fitted a Yuasa Battery in a car and I never will.
I got put off in the early Noughties when many of their motorcycle batteries had an issue with cracked welds that they refused to even acknowledge was an issue. I personally had 2 separate batteries that failed with that issue, one after a mere 3 months (warranty claim refused claiming I had not followed correct use,... I fitted it in the motorcycle and rode the motorcycle), and the other was just over 1 year old (1 year warranty only!).
That put me off the company for life.

On my motorcycles I use MotoBatt AGM batteries now.
My LS430 currently has a Duracell DA70 fitted and it's done sterling service since I bought the car so it's at least 3 years old.
I normally buy Varta batteries for my cars and have yet to have a bad experience with one.

12 hours ago, bobjol said:

The present battery is a three year old Halfords unit

If it's of any interest, I have put the question to Yuasa UK technical (in Swindon fwiw); do you make Halfords own-brand batteries for them?  The techie confirmed that they do, or at least did, this was four years ago.

But, 10 months ago, I bought from Halfords a Yuasa motorcycle Battery (pre-filled with acid before being put on display, due to the new acid sale regulations), and it was sat at 11.4 volts - they didn't seem to have any regime for maintaining that slow-selling item before its eventual sale, I confirmed with their telephone helpline.  I wonder if that applies to car batteries, hopefully not.  They were happy to refund me for that one - no problem at all.

28 minutes ago, Boosh. said:

If it's of any interest, I have put the question to Yuasa UK technical (in Swindon fwiw); do you make Halfords own-brand batteries for them?  The techie confirmed that they do, or at least did, this was four years ago.

But, 10 months ago, I bought from Halfords a Yuasa motorcycle battery (pre-filled with acid before being put on display, due to the new acid sale regulations), and it was sat at 11.4 volts - they didn't seem to have any regime for maintaining that slow-selling item before its eventual sale, I confirmed with their telephone helpline.  I wonder if that applies to car batteries, hopefully not.  They were happy to refund me for that one - no problem at all.

I'm in favour of Lexus dealer supplied battery: good experience - they did the swap too on the spot - all part of the purchase.

Having some experience of the blessed factory supply chain...a company might manufacture for another under a different brand however the specification might be very different and so the quality. Often you get what you pay for - or over-pay for.  

I'm on my second Lexus (LS400 for 10 years and now LS430) and have always had Lexus replace my batteries (best price, they fit and replace, under warranty, when/if bas).  They tend to last (meaning replace before you can't start the car) about 2-3 years.  Have used a Bosch S5 on my Porsche and it seemed very good just two reservations : I had to order mine online so a bit trickier to ensure fit and if you have to send it back it's not very convenient.  On the plus side the Bosch S5 warranty was 5 years, the Toyota 2 years.

Best Battery ever: Battery that was fitted from the factory to my VW which lasted for 10 years and then one morning zero!  No idea what it was as at the time I was too busy getting the RAC out to replace it. 

I've had 2 Bosch batteries in 11 years, so quite happy with them - and they fit correctly. However, due to lockdown my car isn't used much at all, so i give it a charge every month to keep things fine. Worst batteries I've had were motobat for my bikes - 1 lasted ok, the other 13 months. My biking friends have had similar experiences with them, so I guess it's just your luck. incidentally, the 18 year old Battery on my V8 Morris Minor is still fine.

Pete

13 minutes ago, Howplum said:

V8 Morris Minor

Going totally off topic, with apologies to the OP, I wonder if anyone has put a Lexus V8 in one.

There is one local to me, plus a few others in the UK. It's quite a wide engine and fills the engine bay. Obviously, not much of the original minor is retained to fit it. Mine are Rover 3.9 and Chevrolet LS1.

Pete

Thanks for all replies to this Topic.   There are no Lexus dealers within allowed travel distance in my area, so it has to be a local purchase.

One point of interest is the plastic cover which holds the Battery in place along with the hold down rods.  Does this mean that I have to get

a Battery which is the exact dimensions as the present unit and also has the Positive terminal on the left hand side?  Online searches for a Battery

throw up several variations for the LS430.  Some have right hand side Positive and dimensions much larger and smaller than present one.  

Some exact Battery dimensions would be a great help, thanks.

I strongly recommend AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt ) type batteries these days.  I use a "shopname" brand with a 4 year warranty. In my two LS400. a 70 Ah works fine.  It is the cold start spec that tells you how it will manage the really cold winters here in Sweden. A bigger 95Ah standard type Battery is typically inferior. The AGM batteries typically have several times faster charge rate hence will accept charge after start fast instead of slow. They also discharge slower when left idle and survives deep discharge better. An AGM Battery typically costs more but also lasts longer.  

A Yuasa Silver was what I settled for a couple of days ago.  5 year warranty and higher capacity.  Had to go for Halfords as they are the closest

supplier to me.  (1.5 miles).  Fitter told me that they were running low on stock due to high sales volume and erratic supply chain. The old unit he was replacing had the positive terminal on the left hand side, but he had produced a Battery with the positive on the right side.  He turned the Battery around and fitted it with no problems.  The cables to the Battery had enough movement to accommodate the terminals on the new unit although they were further away now.   Not sure why old and new batteries were different.  Car started immediately and with a lot more oomph!!   All good now and bring on the next snow blizzard.  (which only seems to be a few minutes away).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bobjol said:

A Yuasa Silver was what I settled for a couple of days ago.  5 year warranty and higher capacity.  Had to go for Halfords

and the magic price was ?

Malc