Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello to all, 

I'm looking to buy a Lexus 460 with a solid service history.   

I have a budget of £9k cash and was hoping someone here might be interested. 

I have previously owned a GS450h 2013 and would like to return to Lexus with a V8 in the 460. 

Thanks  

I think the 460s are slightly disadvantaged because of the higher road tax they attract and they do come up more often compared to the 400s/430s - I've seen a couple of looked after cars in the the past couple of months - I think its just a case of keeping on eye on all the channels . . . .

Thanks for the replies.  

Can i ask is it possible to buy an older Lexus such as a 460 and then have Lexus put their warranty on it, if so what would the cost of a warranty be for 12 months for instance? 

Also how would i spot a faulty steering rack, as i understand these can result in a large bill?

51 minutes ago, Bubswiss said:

Thanks for the replies.  

Can i ask is it possible to buy an older Lexus such as a 460 and then have Lexus put their warranty on it, if so what would the cost of a warranty be for 12 months for instance? 

Also how would i spot a faulty steering rack, as i understand these can result in a large bill?

Car cannot be more than 10 yars old James and have covered less than 140,000 miles.

Where are you located ?

13 hours ago, Bubswiss said:

Thanks for the replies.  

James, If you search the Forum for 'VGRS issues' you will see a reply that I wrote on this subject. Basically, I had the problem but it was a computer glitch and no problem.  

I've owned my 460 for 8 years/70,000 miles and it is my daily runner. I owned a 400 for 15 years before that and the 460 has been every bit as trouble-free as the 400.

• Like 1

Hello James.

I am so glad you didn't decide this in October last year.

I decided to change from an LS400 with 265000 miles on it to an LS460.

I found one in the last week of October for £8950 with a full service history, most of it from Lexus, with only 42000 miles on it.

I am really happy with it, although I was really quite sad when I finally sold the LS400 and I watched someone else drive away in the car I had owned and loved for the last 12 years.

Just to clarify...

No, I don't want to sell it.

Steve.

IMG_4560q.jpg

• Like 1

It is a sterling example but that is reflected in the price the mileage is low at 70k but the 460 has a bad reputation for expensive front end replacement arms of which there are four at something in the region of £350 each and a complete strip of the whole front end to replace.There are other considerations as well this car as had four owners and the original owner who put a private plate on it did'nt keep it long. There are at least two owners on this forum who have regretted buying one of these after owning both ls400's and LS430's.

Most of the reviews of this model were a little downbeat and that is reflected in sales   volume they never really took off.

I advise a reasonably long test drive before buying one .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

There are at least two owners on this forum who have regretted buying one of these after owning both ls400's and LS430's.

With respect, Phil, not a very balanced post. There are more than two owners on this forum who do NOT regret buying a 460.......and, in my case, after owning a 400 for 15 years.

• Like 1

That is a lovely car with a comprehensive history,however it's still a twelve year old one and the price is bad comedy, with a three grand premium added you really have to want it. 

16 hours ago, Tulpen said:

With respect, Phil, not a very balanced post. There are more than two owners on this forum who do NOT regret buying a 460.......and, in my case, after owning a 400 for 15 years.

Fair comment Brian and I have to be honest it is a better looking car than the 400 but as the saying goes" Looks ar'nt everything."

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I bought my 2007 LS460 in August 2019, I px'd my 1995 LS400 (120,000 miles) for it. The 400 had rust problems in rear wheel arch area, in spite of my Waxoyl applications and occasional speedo/rev counter not working. I'd had the car 8 years and considered it a superb car.

Now the 460 is in a quite different class, good performance, much better brakes than the 400, but that was from a different era. No cam belt changes on the 460 so one less worry. Looks are subjective but I think the 460 has attained a real identity of it's own, largely unchanged to date, I don't really like the ugly front on the latest version. The 430 looked too much like a Merc 'S'. 

Not without it's problems though, MOT last year required upper suspension arms. This year MOT (this week) requires more bush changes and one suspension bag renewal. The horn stopped working recently, after doing some research it seems likely the fault is in the steering wheel - we'll see on that. The VSC warning light comes on occasionally and then goes off or I reset it. Haven't got to bottom of that yet, probably sensor. Changed the front passenger seat belt stalk last year as became faulty and after just buying the car had to renew 2 of the tyre pressure indicators (expensive) as the batteries had run out, tried to renew batteries but not possible.

I'm a great believer in good induction, bought a set of NGK iridium spark plugs (£307) and sport air filter.

• Like 2

Comparison of attention required on the different platform Mark 4 LS400 & LS460.

Mine went in for mot two days ago drove in drove out twentieth mot with pass and no advisory.

I have performed the following service requirements myself in the last six months, new set of Denso plugs £48 transmission fluid change £10 Differential oil change £12. I only change the engine oil every two years because I have only done 2k miles this year.

There are no issues with the car at all and it still looks like it came off the factory floor last week.

Someone on the forum approached me earlier this year with the question ,are you interested in selling your car , I do not need to print my reply.

• Like 3

Hi over the last 15 years I have been lucky to own an LS400, 430 x2 and a460 and combined have covered 170k miles in them mostly on business. My current 460 I bought at the end of last year and in total has 82k on it. I have had the radiator changed, wheels refurbed , tyres changed to Michelin Pilot 4 which are great and just had an EDT engine clean done which has made the car feel much newer. I will get the bumpers painted in the new year.  I have always garaged the cars and believe in preventative servicing etc but would say that having owned literally over 100 cars these are a great choice. My favourite is the 460 and once you own one of these three you don’t want to be without one. On my motorway trips I get around 31mpg sometimes more when being sensible and always use super unleaded. I am based in Hampshire and happy to show you mine if that would help in your decision. 

• Like 3