Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Recomendations

Hi Guys,

I bought 2 x Michelin Cross Climate tyres for the front of my car 2 years ago in October as the forecast was for a pretty poor winter - it never materialised.  Last November I put 2 mid-range all season tyres from Kwik-Fit on the rear and last winter wasn't bad either.  This one hasn't been bad so far, ice and snow wise, in the West Dunbartonshire area.  I had the car serviced last month and was told I was down to 3mm in both front tyres so need to renew very soon, the back tyres were both 7mm.  Thing is in the 2 years and 7 months I have owned the RX400H I have only done 16,000 miles.

I know that all season tyres wear quicker than normal summer tyres, but they are a damn sight more expensive as well.  Due to the fact that we have been getting kinda mild winters  and I will probably only keep the car for another couple of years (It's 13 years old next month) I am thinking of just putting mid-range summer tyres on.

I'd really like your thoughts on this matter guys, and any recommendations for reasonably priced (but decent) tyres.

Thanks

Isn't the RX400h mainly FWD...add to the equation the weight of the car you're not going to get brilliant wear on any tyre. Also need to consider the mid-range ones may well be a harder compound. I'm running GoodYear Wrangler All Weather tyres on the RX450h. The fronts DO wear quicker like yours have. When I had the RX300 I used Kumho's and they worn quite evenly. Anyway, could be worth switching to the same brands all round?? 

• Like 1

Friend of mine has an RX400h and seems like he is changing his front tyres every 2nd year and the rear ones are totally fine, I think this is just mostly a front wheel drive car which always uses more front wheels/rubber. 

I would get the same tyres all round too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Friend of mine has an RX400h and seems like he is changing his front tyres every 2nd year and the rear ones are totally fine, I think this is just mostly a front wheel drive car which always uses more front wheels/rubber. 

I would get the same tyres all round too.

Seems as if he`s got more money than sense Vlady ?

Tyres should be rotated to equalise wear and then all replaced as a set.  You will get some differences depending who is doing the testing.  Also, some tyres work better on some cars than others.  Drivers can also have individual preferences but don't get the opportunity to check a lot of makes/models so a pretty good indication is what members largely favour.  It would be nice if we could have a poll to establish this. 

I much prefer the Cross Climates to the Dunlops my car came with.  I asked Lexus Cheltenham what drivers were fitting most and they told me Cross Climates.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Seems as if he`s got more money than sense Vlady ?

That's probably true John, he also buys used tyres that don't last long. Still doesn't change the fact that the front axis uses rubber more than the rear.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vlady said:

That's probably true John, he also buys used tyres that don't last long. Still doesn't change the fact that the front axis uses rubber more than the rear.

Aye - cheap shoes always wear our quicker

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 10:05 AM, Illogan said:

Aye - cheap shoes always wear our quicker

Can't comment Dave, he was buying them cheap but not sure if they were cheap because they are used Premium Tyres or used and budget tyres. I do not see logic in it as I think this is your and your family safety. I think I could go used tire but only as a temporary solution, like until I get a proper tire delivered and then fitted.

• Like 1