Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Catalysts stolen this morning

1 hour ago, Robbo5 said:

I think they used something like this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-djr186z-18v-li-ion-lxt-cordless-reciprocating-saw-bare/8334r

The neighbour that phoned the police heard the cutting because I think their bedroom window was open, I heard nothing as my window was shut.

And when did the police arrive .................. they are ineffectual at best .

If you had the means to apply Rule .303 legally ,this could be stamped out in a few weeks .

and while Imat it , put lorry loads of drugs in every main square in the country/world  , so taking the money out of drugs ............problem solved . !!! .And before anyone asks .................Im a moderate !!!!

Police arrived about 20 minutes after the phone call to them which was about 18 minutes too late.

Rule 303 - if I knew I could get away with it then I would.

This is how these people make a living, taking drugs out of the equation they would still do it, it is easy for them and getting caught is just a way of life.

12 minutes ago, Robbo5 said:

Police arrived about 20 minutes after the phone call to them which was about 18 minutes too late.

Rule 303 - if I knew I could get away with it then I would.

This is how these people make a living, taking drugs out of the equation they would still do it, it is easy for them and getting caught is just a way of life.

ah but if you apply rule 303 it wont be a way of life ..................... pity this country doesnt enable its Law Abiding Citizens to correct this blatant thieving 

When they jacked up my other car at the side of the house, the MX5, I honestly thought that it would collapse because the cills are probably rotted through.

It would have been funny 😄 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robbo5 said:

When they jacked up my other car at the side of the house, the MX5, I honestly thought that it would collapse because the cills are probably rotted through.

He probably would have sued you and the accomplishes would have gone sick with PTSD 

15 hours ago, Robbo5 said:

I think they used something like this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-djr186z-18v-li-ion-lxt-cordless-reciprocating-saw-bare/8334r

The neighbour that phoned the police heard the cutting because I think their bedroom window was open, I heard nothing as my window was shut.

You are lucky to have windows like that! We moved a year ago into new build house by Persimmon and sound proofing is non existence, I can hear people talking outside, hell, I can hear dog owners telling their dogs "common boy", it seems like there is no standard on sound insulation in UK, very disappointed with the quality of newly built houses.

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

You are lucky to have windows like that! We moved a year ago into new build house by Persimmon and sound proofing is non existence, I can hear people talking outside, hell, I can hear dog owners telling their dogs "common boy", it seems like there is no standard on sound insulation in UK, very disappointed with the quality of newly built houses.

I only like old buildings. Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian. So much more character and built well. Good sized rooms and high ceilings. Even the 1925 detached bungalow we had in Porthleven, Cornwall in 1998 was a nice building.

James.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Robbo5 said:

It can happen... https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18197902.thief-crushed-death-car-trying-steal-catalytic-converter/

• Haha 1

Phoned one garage this morning to see if they could weld two pipes on and got a point blank no.

‘It’s illegal’ they said.

Went to another garage who have said they could do it for about £100 but it would fail an mot for emissions.

I thought emissions where not checked on a petrol hybrid but the tester insisted that they where.

Are they? Does anyone know for certain?

He said they leave the car running for 45 minutes to allow the engine to warm up and then test them, I’m presuming they leave it in neutral.

Hybrids are definitely not checked for emissions. Refer to testers manual I linked to earlier in the thread. 

The cats you've lost don't do much - on board cat efficiency is checked before the exhaust gets to them. 

Emission limits are not published for hybrids. 

Could you sleeve the pipes rather than weld? 

That’s what I thought but I’m no expert.

I’m just thinking to have 2 pipes welded in place for about £100 and worry about the mot come November.

I’m sure I could find 1 garage to pass it that others have used in the same situation.

Worst case scenario is I have to buy 2 cats from eBay totalling £500 and pay for them to be fitted come mot time.

1 minute ago, johnatg said:

Hybrids are definitely not checked for emissions. Refer to testers manual I linked to earlier in the thread. 

The cats you've lost don't do much - on board cat efficiency is checked before the exhaust gets to them. 

Emission limits are not published for hybrids. 

Could you sleeve the pipes rather than weld? 

I’ve read your link and explained this to the tester but he was adamant hybrids are tested for emissions.

So won’t be taking the car to him to test.

So far this is the only place I’ve found that will do the job and they are round the corner, can’t drive the car far as it sounds like a tank.

Not sure how they will join the pipes up, would they not sleeve over the ends and then weld or just weld edge to edge?

So sorry to hear this Ian. This is a huge problem nationally and I haven't heard of anyone convicted for this crime. I actually discussed this with my dealer who i bought UX from. I was asking how long for delivery of a new cat they didnt know or maybe didnt want to say. It has happened a bit in my town in fact my lad rung me today saying i want to watch out. On the UX forum it is mentioned and they say it is difficult to get at on the UX because its near the engine, ill be honest i don't know Maybe Colin will post he has an handle on most things. Ive read various articles what to do to help deter prevent the theft. 1) Park in a well lit area 2) Park with car close a wall leaving access only from one side 3) Put it in a garage. 4) get a door bell with a movement sensor on with an alarm notification (it doesn't have to be on a door). The crime is happening in daylight on main streets in supermarket carparks. If it happens to me i would certainly ring 999 if i saw the crime taking place if i didn't i would still report it. I would definitely claim on my insurance and fork out the excess. The insurers are in a better place to probably get something done about this than the general motorist. Someone posted about cctv there right what they say but if your there you can ring 999 at least. It takes around 2 mins to get one off maybe a bit longer if a cat lock was fitted but they would still have it. I read somewhere that lexus are letting customers buy the cats at cost, i say i read that somewhere so don't know how accurate that is. 

21 hours ago, Robbo5 said:

I’ve read your link and explained this to the tester but he was adamant hybrids are tested for emissions.

So won’t be taking the car to him to test.

So far this is the only place I’ve found that will do the job and they are round the corner, can’t drive the car far as it sounds like a tank.

Not sure how they will join the pipes up, would they not sleeve over the ends and then weld or just weld edge to edge?

I began to doubt my own assertion!  See here: https://www.gov.uk/emissions-testing

I knew I was correct - when we get our cars tested we don't get an emissions print-out - or has anyone here (with a hybrid) had one?

Of course, Colin is absolutely correct about the legality of altering emissions related equipment on a vehicle.

I also found that yesterday on the gov webpage John.

Just been back to the garage to ask them to do it and now they have refused, his gaffer said no after I had gone, no other reason given.

Well they made a nice clean job of cutting the cats off! No problem with the rear.

But is that heat shield bolted on to the pipe at the front? Can you get a shot of the pipe inside the heat shield (ie from further back but looking forward?)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links