Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

14 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Wheels tend to be scabby. Welcome to the GS450h fan club.

Yep. The rims on my Mk4 tend to be prone to kerbing. Virtually every Lexus I see out there has major scuff marks around the outer edge of the rims. They just seem prone to it in general. American market vehicles that don't take kerbs into consideration? 

Lovely 3rd gen btw. Front end reminds me a bit of my old Soarer. 

3 hours ago, cruisermark said:

Congrats - how does it compare to the LS430 then?

The ls was 8 years older but actually a little lower miles. 

Ls was quieter and felt big .and had a few of the comon faults .

The gs is little more bumpy on the  rd and feels much quicker .

The cvt box is brilliant.

I think the gs has been maintained better even though its had a few owners.

Id honestly say the gs is one if not the best car ive driven. And ive had probably in excess of 120 .

The blue paint on it is probably the best ive seen. Far superior to the german cars ive had

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, superatticman
14 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Wheels tend to be scabby. Welcome to the GS450h fan club.

Yep. The rims on my Mk4 tend to be prone to kerbing. Virtually every Lexus I see out there has major scuff marks around the outer edge of the rims. They just seem prone to it in general. American market vehicles that don't take kerbs into consideration? 

Lovely 3rd gen btw. Front end reminds me a bit of my old Soarer. 

I’ve been super careful and not curbed any car wheels for maybe two years now touch wood I go out of my way to be Careful now After when refurbished all wheels on previous car.

3 hours ago, Riccccccardo said:

I’ve been super careful and not curbed any car wheels for maybe two years now touch wood I go out of my way to be Careful now After when refurbished all wheels on previous car.

You have hit the nail on the head Richard. Brains are free.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:52 AM, superatticman said:

The rims on my Mk4 tend to be prone to kerbing. Virtually every Lexus I see out there has major scuff marks around the outer edge of the rims.

Kerbing the near side rims was one of the first things I did with my IS250!

Mind you, it was my first experience of low profile alloys and our narrow country lanes were under snow, hiding the kerbs anyway.  Our local ChipsAway guy did a very impressive repair job but I quickly realised this could become an expensive habit.

Then I discovered Alloygator Rim Protectors.  Since then I merely feel reassured that any new scuff has saved me at least £60 a rim

In fact it’s an investment that has already been handsomely repaid.

14 hours ago, LenT said:

Kerbing the near side rims was one of the first things I did with my IS250!

Mind you, it was my first experience of low profile alloys and our narrow country lanes were under snow, hiding the kerbs anyway.  Our local ChipsAway guy did a very impressive repair job but I quickly realised this could become an expensive habit.

Then I discovered Alloygator Rim Protectors.  Since then I merely feel reassured that any new scuff has saved me at least £60 a rim

In fact it’s an investment that has already been handsomely repaid.

Lent

did you fit the protectors yrself or at a tyre shop

are they any good

1 hour ago, KayCee said:

Lent

did you fit the protectors yrself or at a tyre shop

are they any good

Taking your second question first: Yes.

Scuffs on the plastic rim protector are not very noticeable and can be smoothed away.  But would have been irritatingly obvious on an alloy rim.  And the rim protector is easily replaced anyway.  Fitted to a new wheel it provides instant protection.  In my experience, fitting one Alloygator was cheaper than having one scuffed rim repaired.

Fitting.

As it happened I was going to have a new set of Goodyear Asymmetric 5s fitted by a tyre outfit I’d used before - and saw they were Agents for Alloygator.  So a deal was struck!

Is it a  DIY job?
Well, the plastic rim needs a special tool to cut it, which shapes the end and punches a retaining hole for the small jointing piece.  But that may be available from Alloygator, along with the other components. Otherwise you need a soft-faced mallet and a tyre inflator.  They are best fitted with the wheel off the car.

I notice there a plenty of videos around on how it’s done.

You can also use them as a fashion statement!  I chose black to look like part of the tyre, but they come in a range of colours.

Frankly I can’t find a good reason for NOT fitting them.  To reflect on an early comment, I would suggest they are a no-brainer. 😊

PS. Had car detailed recently, which included wheel treatment.  I think you can see the Rim Protector on the wheels.

6071C2D5-2258-4171-8677-6E7AD51B6927.jpeg

Edited by LenT
Added image