Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Eye back in...rear brakes done

I tell you what...if it’s taken me a bit to get back at fixing things under the bonnet...I might wait a bit for an operation or an airline flight.

My MOT advised that my rear LS 400 pads were getting a bit thin. Following a horrid job replacing the fan bracket largely due to my rustiness and not wanting to strip down the engine front...I worried the brake job would be more of the same.

A quick prayer to Saint Eligius with apologies if he only covered unionised or professional mechanics...I pulled out my toolkit.

I managed to get discs and pads for £202 from Lexus Parts direct.

I didn’t mess about with the carrier 17mm bolts undone with my medium torque wrench and hammer and spanner on the carrier. 

Big joy was that the whole assembly looked freshly or recently serviced...not bad for goodness how many years. 🤭

The disc retaining screws looked new and came out a treat. The discs came off without drama...I cleaned everything with a brake cleaner and non contact areas with a wire brush. The parking shoes looked in very good order. (You were right Steve). No point touching those.

I used specific brake grease and only used copper grease for bolts and general contact areas. My trusty caliper compression tool made the caliper work simple. (I recommend as you can use on most vehicles and well worth having one).

On completion everything was torqued up. The brake fluid returned to the max level in the reservoir and...without adjustment...the parking brake only needs 3 clicks. 

So thanks to St Eligius.

:driving:

32901835-BF05-4F60-8E01-E0735B2B4416.jpeg

060219E9-E58A-4FCB-9AB3-FF1586B60A18.jpeg

ADBB3B30-C4F8-4287-A4F2-B097A97BFBA2.jpeg

464A83A3-74E3-4D78-91B8-F4040B59481A.jpeg

3FB0514D-27AD-4F43-9832-5E2712D383F4.jpeg

1F26FBE2-C691-4E07-8717-6761A86E3C29.jpeg

E1D82EA8-E729-4E58-9F2C-46F22E478A07.jpeg

DFD85C34-0C0A-4FF8-AC26-47EBF634F7EA.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tinonline said:

So thanks to St Eligius.

Apparently he is patron saint for horses, and with so many under the bonnet of an LS, he is for sure a beneficial saint.

The only problem I have had with the parking brake we cable seized up, but once sorted and new pads can park on the side of a cliff. 

• Like 2

I don’t know if this is a record but at 26 years old and just over 92,000 miles mine is still on all the original discs with just a perceptible lip.

Talking of horse power could you imagine a cart being pulled by 250 horses down the M1 😀

If you ever see a pile of manure in lane 3 take extra care!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think that's a brilliant record Steve  .........  my gf is so so hard, standing on the brakes, it scares me tbh ...  discs and pads last five minutes ...  well, a bit longer, but you get my drift !

Malc

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links