Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GSF Battery problem or CTEK issue?

As our GSF does about 10 miles a week at the moment, I have kept it connected to a CTEK MXS 5.0 on the weekends when it doesn’t move.  

Today I noticed that the CTEK has thrown up an error code 5 ( cannot keep a charge) and then a code 2 (cannot accept a charge) when I reset the device. The Battery measures 12.6v when standing with the engine off and the car has no issues starting.  Is this a sign that the Battery is on the way or is the CTEK faulty?  The CTEK is hard wired in using their comfort connector and is just under one year old  

Thanks for your reply Colin. 

I will double check the connectors. The car sits just outside of our garage and I use two CTEK extension leads to reach the CTEK charger fixed to the wall inside the garage. So I will check that no moisture has gotten  in to them. The connectors attached to the Battery looks as good as new. 

The car is only parked up on the weekend and does about 2 miles a day on the weekend. I didn’t think there was a problem until today, so I have never measured the voltage directly after it had been charged. 

3 minutes ago, BillNick said:

Just checked my battery health via my tracker and it says 12.4v. Is that so bad?

Should I get trickle charger? Bitterly cold out, but even so I am probably doing max 100 miles per week at the moment...

12.4v is around 75% charged. That isn't a state you really want to leave a lead-acid Battery in as it will start to degrade. Either charge it up fully once every week or two or permanently connect it to an intelligence charger (e.g. CTEK or Noco).

I've had mine permanently connected to one of these for the last 10 months.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/battery-chargers/noco-genius1-1-amp-battery-charger-230262.html

I've a higher powered one for charging batteries, but this is fine to slowly charge up a Battery and then leave it maintaining a float voltage to stop discharge.

Wow and thanks to you guys, I am truly learning as I have very little knowledge about my cars and how to keep an eye out for matters as discussed in this thread,really appreciate the vast knowledge you guys have and truly enjoy reading the inputs 👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

I had to pop out to work last night so took the F for a drive. Started with out any problem, as usual and by the time I got back home the Battery measured 12.7v on the multimeter. Hooked up to the CTEK and no issues this time. I will continue to monitor the issues over this week. 

1 hour ago, F.A. said:

Does anyone know if the GSF is fitted with a normal or AGM battery? 

Just nip outside for a quick look and let us know will you because your profile says you've got a GSF?

• Haha 1

Thanks, very helpful. I do have one but I wanted to double check with people who have more insight on here. Isn’t that what this forum is for, and not cocky comments like the above? 

The type of Battery is not obvious from the top. 

'Normal' Battery would be a wet lead acid Battery.

AGM is an Absorbent Gas Mat Battery, with the acid held in suspension within a glass fibre mat. Much safer when used within the passenger cabin, much reduced risjk of acid spills.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

Have you used this set up successfully in the past, in particular the ‘ two CTEK extension cables’ connected together? As I’m thinking there might be some voltage drop issues, I’ve looked on the CTEK website but it does not say you should only use one extension though! Also this very cold weather at the moment is Not helpful for charging vehicle batteries or their very existence! Like me they do not like or perform well in cold conditions!

3 hours ago, F.A. said:

Thanks, very helpful. I do have one but I wanted to double check with people who have more insight on here. Isn’t that what this forum is for, and not cocky comments like the above? 

The type of battery is not obvious from the top. 

Whilst it might not be the most helpful reply, there is a glimmer of truth to it.  It would probably be much easier for you to go take a picture of your Battery then it would be for us to figure out what the GSF uses.

Then, once the info is available, I am sure the people on here will do what they can to determine what type of Battery it is.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Whilst it might not be the most helpful reply, there is a glimmer of truth to it.  It would probably be much easier for you to go take a picture of your battery then it would be for us to figure out what the GSF uses.

Then, once the info is available, I am sure the people on here will do what they can to determine what type of battery it is.

Exactly.

I said it half-jokingly and suppose that would have worked better if I'd also used a smiley emoji, so that's my fault. But it was also meant as a bit of a prod as well.

I think my track record on here will show that I like to help people whenever I can and that I'm happy to do so, but I also think people should do a bit of work themselves before asking for help. A quick googling may have brought up the answer or, given that he has the very car and Battery in question sitting a few feet away from him, a quick look or a photo to post on here would have been good.

It just seemed a bit lazy to me but I appreciate that that's down to my own interpretation and I meant no offence, so I apologise.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Exactly.

I said it half-jokingly and suppose that would have worked better if I'd also used a smiley emoji, so that's my fault. But it was also meant as a bit of a prod as well.

I think my track record on here will show that I like to help people whenever I can and that I'm happy to do so, but I also think people should do a bit of work themselves before asking for help. A quick googling may have brought up the answer or, given that he has the very car and battery in question sitting a few feet away from him, a quick look or a photo to post on here would have been good.

It just seemed a bit lazy to me but I appreciate that that's down to my own interpretation and I meant no offence, so I apologise.

I have read your posts in the past and particularly regarding car electrics and have always found them useful, which is why I was disappointed  with your response. However no harm done. 

Not sure why people think that I didn’t have a look first or check on google before I posted on here 🤷🏾‍♂️  Those were the first things I tried.  I will think twice about posting in future. 

4 hours ago, Texas said:

Have you used this set up successfully in the past, in particular the ‘ two CTEK extension cables’ connected together? As I’m thinking there might be some voltage drop issues, I’ve looked on the CTEK website but it does not say you should only use one extension though! Also this very cold weather at the moment is Not helpful for charging vehicle batteries or their very existence! Like me they do not like or perform well in cold conditions!

Yes, I’ve been using two extensions for the past few months with out any issues. I think your theory about the cold weather has something to do with it. Thanks for your reply. 

15 hours ago, F.A. said:

Does anyone know if the GSF is fitted with a normal or AGM battery? 

Normal.

AGM are normally only fitted to vehicles with start/stop, hybrid, or batteries in the cabin/boot. They tend to state AGM on them but it is not always visible when installed in the vehicle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Normal.

AGM are normally only fitted to vehicles with start/stop, hybrid, or batteries in the cabin/boot. They tend to state AGM on them but it is not always visible when installed in the vehicle.

Thanks Colin.