Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rc 300H - Neutral Gear Noise

Hello, 

bought a Rc 300h 2016, everything fine. When Start in the morning the engine goes on after a few seconds. When I put it in neutral I hear this noise from under the car, this is only when the engine is on...did someone notice this too?  Thanks. Jan

3 hours ago, Jan winters said:

Hello, 

bought a Rc 300h 2016, everything fine. When Start in the morning the engine goes on after a few seconds. When I put it in neutral I hear this noise from under the car, this is only when the engine is on...did someone notice this too?  Thanks. Jan

Why on Earth do you want to put it in Neutral ?

Put it in Park, as per your Handbook.

57 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

Neutral is useful at traffic light; in Park the doors unlock

Handbook advice advises against putting in Neutral as it doesn`t charge the Hybrid Battery. Leave car in Drive with foot on Brake MN.

If you don`t have a Hybrid then ignore my input.

I am not sure on this, but it may be the transmission is fitted with an electrically driven oil pump as with the GS450H. This can be heard when the car is in ready mode with the engine not running.
As already pointed out by other replies the use of neutral should be avoided in all Toyota/Lexus hybrids. Holding the car with the brakes in gear does no harm, and in fact saves any energy produced by the engine while it is running, and stores it in the Battery for later use. The engine will continue to run if you have the heater turned on to enable cabin heating. In a normal car the mechanical energy produced by the engine is wasted, but in the hybrid it is turned into electricity that is then saved.

John.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MNMJ said:

Neutral is useful at traffic light; in Park the doors unlock

You could change this in settings, not to do so.  

1 hour ago, Britprius said:

Holding the car with the brakes in gear does no harm,

It only harms driver behind you, by burning your brake-lights into their retina. But does not hurt the car + it probably switches the engine-off fairly soon anyway 🙂

I add that in many new Lexus Hybrids there is the Hold button to keep brakes engaged in D when car is not moving.

Brakes are released just pressing right pedal to start moving.