Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How do you start a crowdfunding thing? I have a great idea!

Yesterday I had to make a trip to the pharmacist to pick up some pills for Mrs Mincey. It was snowing so I thought I'd drive. There was no snow settling on the road or paths though - driving in the snow without winter tyres would be foolhardy. I parked outside the pharmacy and went in, observing the social distancing and mask wearing roles of course. 

When I came out, I started the car up and put it in drive. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! "What on Earth could that be?" I wondered. I checked the instrument panel - no flashing lights. BEEEEEEEEEEEEP! I then noticed that the Park Assist was going nuts (as an aside, I nearly drove into a wall recently because the sensors had been turned off when it was serviced. The car, not the wall). I've never seen the sensor showing red. "Hmm, that's queer" I thought. I then realised that there was probably snow or some other obstruction on the sensor. I switched the engine off, got out, cleared the badge of a few flakes of snow and got back in again. This time there was no BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. Hurrah.

I then drove to Sainsburys to get some essential items. When I came out, started the car and put it in D, can you guess what happened next? Yes, you're not wrong.

So, my idea which needs crowd funding is... a device to clear snow from the front parking sensor. I haven't decided yet whether it will be a wiper, some kind of blower or a heating element. I could of course just remember to give it a wipe whenever it's snowing. Oh and it does stop going BEEEEEEEEEP at about 10mph (the speed limit in the Sainsburys car park - I wasn't going to get out and clean it again) and there appears to be a volume off icon on the Park Assist display, but by the time I'd noticed it, I was doing 10mph. Then I reached the traffic lights at the car park exit. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!.........

I've a feeling your crowd funding may not draw a crowd on this one, more like a small gathering!  We hardly seem to get snow on the West Sussex coast, something to do with the downs I'm told.

40 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I haven't decided yet whether it will be a wiper, some kind of blower or a heating element.

Heating element might be too slow and wouldn't work for mud. A blower would be ok for newly settled snow. Volvos used to have baby wipers on the headlights, matching the grown-up wipers on the windscreen, which was very cute. But I think the best answer, especially if crowdfunding is paying, would be a chauffeur.

19 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I've a feeling your crowd funding may not draw a crowd on this one, more like a small gathering!  We hardly seem to get snow on the West Sussex coast, something to do with the downs I'm told.

The answer is the same way one cleans one`s posterior !

As James stated in his final paragraph.

Must admit I thought the badge on the front was a protection cover/window for the radar sensor (cruise control and pre-crash etc., detection) and the park assist was the small acoustic sensors along the bumper line. Four front and four rear, at least on my RC.

16 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Must admit I thought the badge on the front was a protection cover/window for the radar sensor (cruise control and pre-crash etc., detection) and the park assist was the small acoustic sensors along the bumper line. Four front and four rear, at least on my RC.

You may have a point - I can't remember seeing any sensors on the front of the car and assumed that the big bad boy in the middle did the work. There's a sensor on each corner though:

image.png.e9704cafc169d0659be0bcc65329507a.png

11 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

On my RC the two front centre sensors are well hidden in the grill, difficult to spot..

When it has warmed up a bit, I'll go and have a look!

7 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

The answer is the same way one cleans one`s posterior !

As James stated in his final paragraph.

Nope, I don't understand that reply at all!

7 hours ago, Thackeray said:

Heating element might be too slow and wouldn't work for mud. A blower would be ok for newly settled snow. Volvos used to have baby wipers on the headlights, matching the grown-up wipers on the windscreen, which was very cute. But I think the best answer, especially if crowdfunding is paying, would be a chauffeur.

You've just reminded me that my dad had a Chrysler Alpine with headlamp wipers - they were bristles, not like conventional wiper blades. I can't really remember how effective they were.

Ok I've scrapped the idea of designing a wiper device for the Lexus badge as I've found the front sensors. They're either side of the numberplate. I shall have to come up with another idea...
image.thumb.png.08a666f1d9829e2b198c2e5d3ab37ab9.png

• Like 1

heres an idea for you james a heated reversing camera.

the times i get to work and then cant see as the camera

has had moisture blown over the lens giving a distorted image

Vw hide their camera behind the Vw boot handle

this keeps the lens clear from frost and blown water

1 hour ago, 200h said:

heres an idea for you james a heated reversing camera.

the times i get to work and then cant see as the camera

has had moisture blown over the lens giving a distorted image

Vw hide their camera behind the Vw boot handle

this keeps the lens clear from frost and blown water

That is an excellent idea - my wife's Ioniq could do with one of those too. A combined heater/wiper unit. I like the idea of that. I like it a lot!