Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GSF oil temp

A query for you F'ers or anyone in general tbh 😛 noticed in recent months that the oil temp doesn't go as high as it previously did at around the half way mark... unsure if cold weather related or underlying problem about to reveal itself? I thought it might have been because I had only been doing short trips, but I have just driven for a solid 90 mins between 50-70mph and it never rose any higher than that?

All comments welcome, unless you're about to tell me she's about to blow up, then 🤫 🤐🤣

497527243_2021-02-0918_18_34.thumb.jpg.e01fade29801c42b67ba89d53f7a1a95.jpg

I think it is just the cold weather. Took mine out at the weekend, only did around 12 miles but the oil temp ended up around the same place whereas it would normally be just under the half way mark in the summer.

The oil cooling system has a thermostat to allow quicker warm up but seems to open up and use the external cooler way before getting near half way on the gauge.

• Like 1

I had the same problem in mine, kinda freaked me out so I changed the thermostat and it was fine. Twice after changing it happened again so I switched over to manual and it shot up straight away. Even driving off in manual from the start it will come up almost twice as fast. 

Seems normal, especially at those constant speeds. If i drive around town, plenty stop start etc. it goes up to 3 bars on my ISF (normal running temperature) in around 20 minutes but on a longer commute i do twice a month im sat at 60-70 for most of the 35 miles without slowing or speeding up and it doesnt get over 2 bars until i reach my destination and park up.