Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto boot lid open mod IS F

Hey folks, lockdown weekends are a tad boring, so decided to try a wee mod to allow my boot lid to open automatically. 

Works a treat.

Changed ONE of the stock boot lid struts with the below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-TAILGATE-BOOT-GAS-SPRING-STRUT-FOR-BMW-3-SERIES-E46-TOURING-99-05-51248232873-/183830220075?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Tried it with both replaced, but makes the boot pretty hard to close, with just one replaced, the opening is smooth and closing is a doddle.

Not sure if this is a known mod but it’s a nice addition, no adverse effects  that I have noticed!

Video for demo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up, my struts have been really weak since i bought the car but having just looked at how easy they are to replace i feel a bit ashamed having left it for 5 months! I've ordered the ones in your link, it may be that one of them may not be strong enough with how weak my standard ones seem to be but we shall see. If thats the case ill fit both or perhaps one new one to spec!

4 hours ago, scott-o said:

Thanks for the heads up, my struts have been really weak since i bought the car but having just looked at how easy they are to replace i feel a bit ashamed having left it for 5 months! I've ordered the ones in your link, it may be that one of them may not be strong enough with how weak my standard ones seem to be but we shall see. If thats the case ill fit both or perhaps one new one to spec!

I found having both replaced it was a fair push to close the boot, with 1. Changed it felt ok. 

now... how do we get it to auto close, some sort of pulley on a motor connected to a switch attached to the boot lid somehow  ... need to think about that one. And then never do it haha 

23 hours ago, Arqum said:

I've seen this mod being done, only hesitation I have is that there is mention of a gap on the side the strut is installed. If it will net moisture in who knows? 

Don’t see a huge  difference. Drivers side has the new strut, passenger side stock strut. Maybe a tad more gap, but pretty sure the seals are still touching the boot lid ...

My car is covered in snow, and lots will melt soon on the boot lid, so will see if anything gets in! Hope not.

52804B70-D6CB-406E-8DE4-0D9F19E58A18.jpeg

A637C335-34D0-4107-8C09-0AAD332EE1D9.jpeg

On 2/11/2021 at 1:28 PM, G10RRE said:

I found having both replaced it was a fair push to close the boot, with 1. Changed it felt ok. 

now... how do we get it to auto close, some sort of pulley on a motor connected to a switch attached to the boot lid somehow  ... need to think about that one. And then never do it haha 

The system would be easy, just salvage it from almost any SUV since like 2010.. almost all Audi, BMW, Lexus have it. The question - how do you programme to do it? Obviously, you can as well salvage the buttons, but doing it via key may be much more difficult. 

On my RC the boot opens itself, but closing it is real pain. Really could not understand how they managed to put it in NX which is cheaper car and not RC... it is not like they were trying to save weight!