Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

4 hours ago, stringbender said:

I've lost count of the number of times I keep getting "we value your privacy" on this site. Do others keep on getting the same request or is it just me ?  I agree to all but it doesn't seem to last.

Alan

Hi Alan

It sounds like you are not accepting 'Cookies' which pop up originally on the site when logging in.
Unfortunately, we have to display this notice by law and if you accept them and the 'Cookies' then it should not appear after that.
Any further problems just drop a message to us and we can look into it further

Usually all websites have "cookies" so basically either you set up your browser to clean up everything at exit, either you have a proxy that filters them.

In both cases you need to manually agree those terms every time you enter on this site.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 2:25 PM, Lexus Owners Club said:

Hi Alan

It sounds like you are not accepting 'Cookies' which pop up originally on the site when logging in.
Unfortunately, we have to display this notice by law and if you accept them and the 'Cookies' then it should not appear after that.
Any further problems just drop a message to us and we can look into it further

Thanks Steve,

Seems I'm the only one. I do "accept all" when asked and will mail if it happens again. Bound not to now !

Alan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2021 at 10:41 AM, stringbender said:

Thanks Steve,

Seems I'm the only one. I do "accept all" when asked and will mail if it happens again. Bound not to now !

Alan

We value your privacy pops up once again. "Accept all"  pressed as I've done many times before. At least I got a month this time.

If, like me, you delete all your browsing history (including cookies) every time you close your browser, you will get the Privacy Pop ups the next time you visit the website.  It is the cookies that store the fact that you have pressed the "Accept" button.  Unfortunately, it is also these cookies that enable other websites to track your every move throughout the internet, hence why I delete them every time.

14 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Try Duckduckgo as an alternative to the invasive Google. 

Yes, DDG, as an alternative to using the Google search, can definitely help with privacy when searching, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo, but it is the actual browser you are using to access the internet that does all the tracking of cookies, history etc. 

5 hours ago, Herbie said:

Use an adblocker.

I use Firefox browser with the AdBlock Plus plugin and don't see any ads or popups at all.

As do I.   And no pop-ups at all

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Try Duckduckgo as an alternative to the invasive Google. 

Thanks. So it's Google again. Not the club website. As someone once said " Google knows more about me than I do !

Alan

I seem to recall Alan they have 220+ "data harvesting touch points" on every individual in the UK.

CNET. Com have a good article on accessing your information on file, deleting it, and limiting future collection - search for how much on information does Google have on individuals

57 minutes ago, stringbender said:

Thanks. So it's Google again. Not the club website. As someone once said " Google knows more about me than I do !

Alan

It is not necessarily Google.  Terminology can get confusing.

A "Browser" is the tool you use to access the internet (e.g. Internet Explorer (Microsoft's browser). Chrome (Google's browser), Safari (Apple's browser), Firefox (another browser independent of the main operating system's own browsers).  These browsers track your movement around the internet - where you've been, what you've clicked on (i.e. you clicked "accept cookies") etc. etc.

A Website you use to do searches (e.g. www.google.co.uk, www.duckduckgo.com, www.ask.com) will present results based on what they know about you (using your internet history, cookies etc.).  Generally, websites are accessed by you using a browser.

So,

• If you use an apple device, using Safari to browse the internet, the issue will be nothing to do with google (including if you come to this LOC website). 
  • If you use an Android device, using Chrome to browse the internet, the issue will be with google. 
  • If you use Safari, go to www.google.co.uk to perform a search, it'll be google looking at your Safari history and cookies and present results based on what it can find out.  If you then come to the LOC website, the issue is nothing to do with google.

As mentioned above, if you use "plugins", these can block ads and prevent history being recorded/read.

Ultimately, we are all tracked everywhere we go, both in reality and virtually. The only escape is if your parents never registered your birth and you were never 'on the radar'.

In reality, being tracked isn't really all that bad as it allows us to have Internet access at an affordable price. The true cost of providing all the infrastructure and all the associated equipment/admin etc., etc., without us handing over our privacy would mean ISPs would need to charge us £200-£300/month, maybe more.

It's us and our data that the modern world runs on; we are the commodity that keeps the Internet hamsters running in their wheels.

Having said that, have you ever just tried putting your own name into the Google search engine? Hardly anything comes up for me at all.