Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Retro fit a heated steering wheel?

Hi there, 

I am curious to know if anyone has retro fitted a heated steering wheel on there 300H. Or has anyone tried using a heated steering wheel cover? While it's been very cold, I have noticed how cold the steering wheel gets and it seems an age before it warms up in the car. 

• Like 1

I had a heated steering wheel in the courtesy ES from Lexus Leeds recently. It was lovely! Really missed it over the last few weeks!

It all depends how much wiring is in place by default. If the wiring is there, its not a big job, you'll need the steering wheel and switch box.

• Like 1

Lexus tend not to fit looms for options not included in the build.

One would also need a change to the centre console to accommodate the  button plus there must be a module somewhere to control the timer function..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Lexus tend not to fit looms for options not included in the build.

One would also need a change to the centre console to accommodate the  button plus there must be a module somewhere to control the timer function..

Yeah I'm comfortable in putting in power to a new switch, there's plenty of spare switch places on my executive dash.... Lol 

2 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Presumably one would need to use Techstream to tell the car the heated wheel has been fitted? 

I've got that, but would probably avoid connecting it to anything smart. If it's a heater surely it just needs 12v's... Can turn it off manually when it has warmed up.. 

8 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Presumably one would need to use Techstream to tell the car the heated wheel has been fitted? 

The system, at least on the NX isn't that complex. It is a switch, that connects to the steering wheel. It doesn't interact with other systems or communicate via one of the buses - it uses dedicated wiring.

472610103_Screenshot2021-02-12at20_21_31.thumb.png.34f4fe33f5755eb8f6558cae3438c043.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

There's mention of steering wheel vibration and heater ECU?

Yes, from what I can tell it is within the steering wheel. It is on later NXs with lane departure detection which vibrates the wheel when you cross a white line - best to get a wheel without that feature to make it easier to fit on an IS, if your IS doesn't have that.

All this for the odd few occasions when the steering wheel is super cold on very frosty morning? Doesn’t seem worth it to me. I thought we all had driving gloves like Alan Partridge anyway! 😉😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

All this for the odd few occasions when the steering wheel is super cold on very frosty morning? Doesn’t seem worth it to me. I thought we all had driving gloves like Alan Partridge anyway! 😉😂

Yeah I do agree with you. I was hoping someone was going to say here's a heated steering wheel cover which works well... Then when it warms up take it off... Until the winter.. Lol 

13 minutes ago, Inazone said:

Yeah I do agree with you. I was hoping someone was going to say here's a heated steering wheel cover which works well... Then when it warms up take it off... Until the winter.. Lol 

All the covers I've seen don't look good. Just angle your heating vents towards the steering wheel 😉 

11 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I have driving gloves - they make such a difference.

Ah haaaaaaaaa.

• Haha 3