Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheels

justo_bell

Hi guys new to this forum and looking for some advice on replacing wheels on my CT200. Current have 15 Inch S trim alloys which are not the most striking.I’m really considering putting a set of 17 or 18 inch alloys. Can anybody advise if this would affect the performance of the car?A friend of mine said it may put added stress on the gearbox and could even turn engine warning lights on. Any guidance appreciated cheers. 😁

If your CT200 is a 2016 I have seen only 16" and 17" wheels on them here.

More competent people must answer the question about stressing the gearbox. I believe it is the same as in all 2016 models and I have 17" on mine from factory. 18" would probably make the ride a bit uncomfortable.

215/45/17 is the standard lexus Ct 17" tyre size so i wouldn't of thought they would put

any stress on the gearbox as long at the circumference of the tyre is the same you wont

have any speedo discrepancies either

what is the tyre size of your 15" wheels it can then be checked to see what tyre size you

can go to keeping the speedo reading correctly

• Thanks 1

215x40-18 would be 12mm longer on the way with each revolution meaning close to nothing and could be the closest you can get tyres to the CT in 18”.

Wheels should be 7x18 and might be difficult to get in correct ET and bolt diameter circle.

I once had a car homologated with 5x15 front and 7x15 rear. Was driving with 7x15 front and 10x15 rear except yearly when going to get approval for the car so it was street legal.

The 17” OEM wheels give a good, firm ride and I am happy with what factory put in our car.

• Thanks 1

When choosing tyres for the CT it is important that you choose a low rolling resistance type. Failure to do this can have a dramatic effect on fuel consumption. In general going to tyres with a lower wall height "larger wheel size" decreases the mpg of the car. Going from 15" to 17" wheels can, and does reduce mpg by 5 mpg.
Handling will improve with larger wheels, but the ride comfort will suffer.

John.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Britprius said:

When choosing tyres for the CT it is important that you choose a low rolling resistance type. Failure to do this can have a dramatic effect on fuel consumption. In general going to tyres with a lower wall height "larger wheel size" decreases the mpg of the car. Going from 15" to 17" wheels can, and does reduce mpg by 5 mpg.
Handling will improve with larger wheels, but the ride comfort will suffer.

John.

Do you say that the cars with factory 16" wheels are running longer than the cars with 17" from factory?

Both are here in the ads shown with 3.8/100km.

if you look at the tyre labelling you can see which tyres have good ratings for

Mpg , Wet braking & Road noise

i normally look for tyres with at least a C for fuel , B for braking and 69Db or less for road noise

( A is best & F is the worst)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 200h said:

i normally look for tyres with at least a C for fuel , B for braking and 69Db or less for road noise

Your 300 probably has less road noice than our 200. I have an app in my phone so will try go see how much noise I have in the cabin on different road types, but on the good roads (not may of them here, no money to maintenance in Spain) I think noise level is good in the 200. Good enough to enjoy music while driving.

I consider handling (including braking) as most needed for a tyre and if other things are good, they are bonus.

On 2/13/2021 at 10:09 AM, 200h said:

215/45/17 is the standard lexus Ct 17" tyre size so i wouldn't of thought they would put

any stress on the gearbox as long at the circumference of the tyre is the same you wont

have any speedo discrepancies either

what is the tyre size of your 15" wheels it can then be checked to see what tyre size you

can go to keeping the speedo reading correctly

Just on this mate, sorry im not very savvy when it comes to these things buy if I was to buy 17inch rims online the corresponding tyre size I would  need is 215/45/17? 

50 minutes ago, justo_bell said:

Just on this mate, sorry im not very savvy when it comes to these things buy if I was to buy 17inch rims online the corresponding tyre size I would  need is 215/45/17? 

Yes if the OEM wheels. Yokohama DB E70J are the OEM tyre, at least in the UK. Of course you can fit other brands. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2021 at 1:00 PM, 200h said:

This is the Cross Climate:

https://www.oponeo.es/neumatico/michelin-crossclimate-215-45-r17-91-w-xl

all seasons and good even in winter.

Here are 2 summer tyres:

https://www.oponeo.es/neumatico/michelin-primacy-4-215-45-r17-91-v-xl-s1#326588902

https://www.oponeo.es/neumatico/goodyear-efficientgrip-performance-215-45-r17-91-w-xl-fp#329804968

The one from Michelin is supposedly giving better mileage, good braking in wet and even more quiet than the CrossClimate.

GoodYear did not have a Good name where I come from, but it seems it also should be better in one way than the CrossClimate.

Wonder if these numbers are valid information. If so both summer tyres are worth trying.

If correct the GoodYear should have better mileage and same noise level and the Michelin summer tyre have better mileage and less noise.

While living in Denmark I had wheels with summer- and wheels with winter-tyres and here on the island we have summer all year, so a summer tyre is all season here.

Never heard of these data before and if valid they partly could explain why I have poor mileage.  Thank you.