Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS-F vs RC-F vs IS-F

I'm considering shopping for a GS-F (I know it could be a long wait).

I've had an IS-F and an RC-F in the past (both went to other forum members) but I've never even seen an GS-F.

How do they compare?

Also, can you fit a roof box to the GS-F?

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question but our RX won't take one due to the panroof so I thought I'd ask it anyway.....trying to see if it could replace the RX as the family car but it could be a tough sell to SWMBO.... 🙂

22 minutes ago, Dave400SE said:

How do they compare?

Very similar to the RC F. Same engine/transmission/brakes etc. The different is in the length, 12 cm extra wheelbase and 20 cm overall. RC F has the front end of the GS so has the same wheel track. I think the diff gearing is slightly different so RC F is faster accelerating.

A fully loaded RC F is only 20 Kg lighter than the fully loaded GS F so there isn't as big of a weight different as you might expect, although you shed a few Kgs if you have an RC F without the TVD and no options etc.

The GS build quality and spec is more inline with an RX rather than IS/RC. More soundproofing, HUD, larger infotainment screen, powered boot, powered rear blind, blind spot monitor and rear traffic alert is standard, auto seat heating/cooling etc.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

The only reason to go for a GS-F is if you want 4 doors (or to do some taxiing on the side).

Don’t listen to the hype about the GS-F being so much better than the RC-F.

Don't lie... It's not the only reason 5 Seats also 😂 (That's one of my reasons for buying a GSF 😅

1 hour ago, Dave400SE said:

I've had an IS-F and an RC-F in the past (both went to other forum members) but I've never even seen an GS-F.

How do they compare?

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question but our RX won't take one due to the panroof so I thought I'd ask it anyway.....trying to see if it could replace the RX as the family car but it could be a tough sell to SWMBO.... 🙂

If your near Colchester way I'm more than happy to show you mine 🤷.  Most UK famous reviewers like Chris Harris / Clarkson slammed the RCF but both loved the GSF based on its drivability. 

Personally I'd be happy with either. I probably would of saved 7 grand and gone for an RCF if I didn't need space for the kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arnett said:

Don't lie... It's not the only reason 5 Seats also 😂 (That's one of my reasons for buying a GSF 😅

If your near Colchester way I'm more than happy to show you mine 🤷.  Most UK famous reviewers like Chris Harris / Clarkson slammed the RCF but both loved the GSF based on its drivability. 

Personally I'd be happy with either. I probably would of saved 7 grand and gone for an RCF if I didn't need space for the kids.

There are many and varied reviews on the internet,but as a brisk but safety conscious road driver I don’t take a lot of notice of Clarkson and Harris reviews.

They both come from the school of “look how I can go on a deserted race track and get this car,that I don’t own,sideways on every corner.”

The RCF and GSF,as we know, are both great GT road cars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XK140 said:

There are many and varied reviews on the internet,but as a brisk but safety conscious road driver I don’t take a lot of notice of Clarkson and Harris reviews.

They both come from the school of “look how I can go on a deserted race track and get this car,that I don’t own,sideways on every corner.”

The RCF and GSF,as we know, are both great GT road cars.

The Harris review is entirely road focused for once rather than track, even the Clarkson one is more about fun factor and v8 essence rather than power numbers 🤷. Both of them approached the GSF review refreshingly different to there normal styles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arnett said:

The Harris review is entirely road focused for once rather than track, even the Clarkson one is more about fun factor and v8 essence rather than power numbers 🤷. Both of them approached the GSF review refreshingly different to there normal styles. 

I respect Harris, but it's beyond me how anyone can test an RC-F, pretty much dislike it and in the next breath rate a GS-F above an M5.

I've driven RC-Fs and GS-Fs back to back so many times - and I dare anyone to seperate their driving characteristics. 

Each to their own however, I am happy to hype about the GSF all day long and that is reflected in the fact that as used these things move so much more faster than both ISF and RCF - furthermore reflected in the strong values seen over the last 2 years.

Having owned all 3 along with an exhaustive list of many other marques these are my feelings and opinion

ISF - Special, I totally loved the first effort from Lexus with this car, it always felt so special getting in and starting, at the time there was an RX450h and GS300 on the drive, the ISF was something else however, in comparison to its German rivals the thing is harder over the bumps, brakes not competitive enough and substandard sport mode, the seats were nice but not special enough in comparison to that of the German stuff but once again as an overall first effort, I liked it, it felt fairly special – I am slightly surprised at the values that these ISFs still command, but the reliability of them in comparison to the German stuff is probably the game changer.

RCF - Meh! Not a bad second effort it was nice! The seats are amazing and make you feel special, exactly as a car of this cost should and the TVD (optional extra on base model) was amazing, coming out of the bends this gave the edge over the German rivals. The exterior styling was lovely, by far looked better on the drive than a friends RS5 that often came round, anyhow coming from an Aston background and also having a Jag XKR and having a vx220 for a week I was overall rather disappointed with the RCF. It did not make me feel special in any way - it just didn't feel like a GT car, where was the long, beefy, sweeping bonnet like that of the Jag or why was it not planted to the ground like the vx220 or why was the dashboard not sweeping like that of an Aston, why did it not growl and snap like that of a c63 coupe. Interior the car just felt very German and this was further reflected by the typical squared off German centre console. It was such a disappointment for me, not because the car itself was disappointing but in comparison to other GT cars in its league it just failed to compare on anything but the amazing seats. The awful heater sensor controls was the nail in the coffin for me! As I say, by no means was this bad car, but the LC is everything that the RCF really should have been! I won't comment on the LC as you haven't asked.

GSF - Amazing, by this point I recently had been rolling in a 300 plus bhp A4 and a brand new s3 of which both had spectacular power, was ok on the bends and was amazing on fuel. Upon seeing the GSF I just couldn't take my eyes off, as pretty as the RCF is, there is no reason why a GT car shouldn't be this pretty however, a 4 door medium size saloon is a lot harder to achieve such eye catching lines - the GSF achieved this so well. The interior, like the RCF is spectacular however, but unlike the RCF I see a much better laid out dashboard, no silly heater controls although, the mouse pad has been debated - personally I am ok with it and prefer it over the pad that comes in the new RX450 and RCF and in comparison to the original BMW "I drive system", it really is better. The drive and general characteristics of the GSF are back to back of that with the RCF of which says one of two things - the RCF failed as a GT car or the GSF is by far superior for what it is! I once drove an Aston rapide and it felt like a decent saloon but in no way was it similar to my vantage.

Conclusion, ISF, great, but is of course is aging. RCF nice, but much better coupes out there for similar money. GSF fantastic all rounder – clear why they are now holding/increasing in value and turning around faster than RCF and ISF.

• Like 5

On 2/13/2021 at 4:13 PM, Dave400SE said:

How do they compare?

I'm not far from you mate. Once this lockdown crap is over, get back in touch and can meet you at cheshire oaks or something so you can look mine over.

1 hour ago, bernie_the_bolt said:

I'm not far from you mate. Once this lockdown crap is over, get back in touch and can meet you at cheshire oaks or something so you can look mine over.

Thanks - I may take you up on that once possible. I'm based on the outskirts of High Peak (although it says Cheshire on my address/profile) so probably not too far away and lots of lovely driving roads near us (Woodhead, Holmfirth, Snake, Monsal Head, etc).

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

and the CT200h has sold more than all three combined. Is it a better car, or does price play a big part? :driving:

Price and the impending doom of the v8 and the fear of MPG scare mongering because "electric is better" except it's not.. but hey ho.

On 2/13/2021 at 4:13 PM, Dave400SE said:

How do they compare?

I have owned two ISF's over 9 years, so will of course big that up compared to the other two.  For me the ISF is that classic skunk works car seen from the 60s, 70s and 80s where a big standard salon is re-engineered to be a muscle/performance car mid-production.  It's those production and engineering compromises that really appeal to me about the car and make it a classic, whereas the RCF and GSF were designed the way they were from the ground-up as a new model.  It may be spitting hairs, but they are ones I would split.  Also, I think the ISF is more of a Q car, which again strongly appeals to me....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grey One said:

I have owned two ISF's over 9 years, so will of course big that up compared to the other two.  For me the ISF is that classic skunk works car seen from the 60s, 70s and 80s where a big standard salon is re-engineered to be a muscle/performance car mid-production.  It's those production and engineering compromises that really appeal to me about the car and make it a classic, whereas the RCF and GSF were designed the way they were from the ground-up as a new model.  It may be spitting hairs, but they are ones I would split.  Also, I think the ISF is more of a Q car, which again strongly appeals to me....

Was the GSF planned from the drawing board of the 4GS series? I have no idea but seems strange that it didn’t appear until the facelift 4 years later 🤷🏾‍♂️

I guess like all things it's down to preference. Personally the GSF styling does nothing for me. The only advantage would be the 5th seat, but there are plenty of other 5 seaters I'd choose first (other marks included). I think the RCF is nice but doesn't suit my lifestyle and again, the big grill front end is a bit 50 50 for me.

The ISF in its current form does it for me, style and shape wise. It might not be the best out of the block with its performance, but no car stays standard for me, so that's never been an issue. It also fits around my lifestyle and works better in the garage than it's bigger cousin the GS. 

All-in-all, they're all fantastic cars and with the ultimate selling point, reliability!!

20 hours ago, Grey One said:

whereas the RCF and GSF were designed the way they were from the ground-up as a new model

I recall reading somewhere that the RCF was a bit of a mash up, with a Franken-chassis made up of IS. GS and IS Convertible sections. It is why it is heavier than needed. Can anybody corroborate this?

It still a great car for me and on a par with the ISF

3 hours ago, MNMJ said:

I recall reading somewhere that the RCF was a bit of a mash up, with a Franken-chassis made up of IS. GS and IS Convertible sections. It is why it is heavier than needed. Can anybody corroborate this?

Pretty sure savage geese made comments about that aswell when they had it up on the ramp and really dove into car details.

On 2/18/2021 at 12:18 PM, MNMJ said:

Obviously the RC F is based on the RC chassis which itself is a GS series IV front end, series II IS Convertible mid and series III IS rear. Using different sections doesn't inherently make it heavy, they aren't cutting up three chassis and welding them together with extra plates of steel, however they purposely designed the chassis and body to be stiff which has made it somewhat heavy.

I assume the IS convertible mid chassis was used because that would have a lot of strength in it to compensate for no roof, but would also be heavy.

The GS front rather than the series III IS was used to make it easy to fit large wheels and the series III IS rear was the natural chassis choice for the RC and has wheels far back and low overhangs to help make the wheelbase as long as possible.

Lexus claim most of the weight of the RC is due to the passive and active safety design - wanting to get the 5* NCAP rating.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 6:30 PM, ColinBarber said:

I assume the IS convertible mid chassis was used because that would have a lot of strength in it to compensate for no roof, but would also be heavy.

And... I just speculate that Lexus planned to make RC convertible as well, so they took mid-section to support this option in case they decide to go that way and without the need for new chassis development. Obviously, they never made RC convertible, but there was certainly a prototype. Second, speculation - possibly the LC was what killed RC Convertible... as that market is already niche and both cars would basically compete each other.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a5976/2015-lexus-rc-convertible-first-look/

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1029411_lexus-cancels-rc-convertible-focuses-on-new-crossover-based-on-next-gen-ls-platform-report