Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX hybrid starting after a few days

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

Lexus Swindon think the battery will need replacing as it shouldn’t be totally dead after the use it had the other day. They can check it all out, that’s what warranties are for!

If it's any consolation, mine went the same way. After it first went flat, it never held charge for more than 48 to 72 hours. At least the replacement didn't break the bank (£90 ish). No problems since, touch wood.

29 minutes ago, Martin J said:

If it's any consolation, mine went the same way. After it first went flat, it never held charge for more than 48 to 72 hours. At least the replacement didn't break the bank (£90 ish). No problems since, touch wood.

^^ Indeed. It’s not the car's fault that we are in lockdown and that I’m hardly using it.

It does make me wonder though. It’s three years old in June, and my mileage will drop - because I won’t be going into the office regularly again - to maybe 5k a year. It feels like a lot of money to have sitting on my driveway looking nice, so I’ve started to consider buying something like a Fiesta instead which would be more sensible not to mention far cheaper.

For what I need now I need to think about such things. Nice car, but worth all that money when hardly being used? I’m not convinced... 

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ Indeed. It’s not the car's fault that we are in lockdown and that I’m hardly using it.

It does make me wonder though. It’s three years old in June, and my mileage will drop - because I won’t be going into the office regularly again - to maybe 5k a year. It feels like a lot of money to have sitting on my driveway looking nice, so I’ve started to consider buying something like a Fiesta instead which would be more sensible not to mention far cheaper.

For what I need now I need to think about such things. Nice car, but worth all that money when hardly being used? I’m not convinced... 

I’ve been having these thoughts too

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Martin J said:

^^ Fitted price at Lexus quoted to me this morning is £150 (they say that’s a fixed price) so you did well at £90! Can’t be done for a few days so it’s a good job I don’t need to go anywhere...

On 2/18/2021 at 12:00 PM, Grumps said:

Halfords do a replacement battery for the NX with a 5 year warranty. Fully fitted for my NX for £127

^^ Mine was sorted today, with the usual great service from Lexus Swindon. All in price was only £90 as @Martin Jnoted - no idea where the £150 quote came from, but I’m happy!

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 3:34 PM, First_Lexus said:

^^ Lexus Swindon think the battery will need replacing as it shouldn’t be totally dead after the use it had the other day. They can check it all out, that’s what warranties are for!

Lexus are happy for you to spend your money, but before you do, consider buying one of these. I have one and its great. My auxiliary Battery is 10 years old.https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GB20-UltraSafe-Lithium-Gasoline/dp/B015TKPT1A/ref=sr_1_5?crid=VK6W676J5FBZ&dchild=1&keywords=jump+starter&qid=1614168620&sprefix=jump%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-5

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Lexus are happy for you to spend your money, but before you do, consider buying one of these. I have one and its great. My auxiliary battery is 10 years old.https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GB20-UltraSafe-Lithium-Gasoline/dp/B015TKPT1A/ref=sr_1_5?crid=VK6W676J5FBZ&dchild=1&keywords=jump+starter&qid=1614168620&sprefix=jump%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-5

John, I’ve got a CTEK charger and reconditioner for my garage queen MINI - car is 2004 and owned from new. Current battery fitted in 2008 and still fine.

Haven’t been using it on the 12v Lexus Battery as a) the Lexus lives outside, b) I wasn’t sure if trickle charging a hybrid was a good idea (interestingly second AA man said that you can, but personally he wouldn’t) and c) the manual suggests a few things that I - as a non-technical type of chap - just wasn’t sure about. 

To be fair the car hasn’t been used regularly since March and the 12v lasted almost a year before it gave up. With the vaccine programme and general positivity about the situation later this year I doubt this will be an issue again as the car will get regular use again. Hurrah!

Trickle charging a Hybrid via the CTEK is fine Ed. My GS lives outside too, but with the mini jump starter, it can start most cars batteries which are flat.

My Merc estate has covered just 192 miles in the last 12 months and it has started first time every time each week. I moved it forwards and backwards on the Drive yesterday, just to satisfy myself that Brakes etc were not solid. It has been in PARK with the Handbrake off. 

32 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Trickle charging a Hybrid via the CTEK is fine Ed. My GS lives outside too, but with the mini jump starter, it can start most cars batteries which are flat.

My Merc estate has covered just 192 miles in the last 12 months and it has started first time every time each week. I moved it forwards and backwards on the Drive yesterday, just to satisfy myself that Brakes etc were not solid. It has been in PARK with the Handbrake off. 

^^ Yes, same sort of regime I have with the MINI. Currently 12k miles in 16 years, all dry and Summer only. 

13 minutes ago, Al D-Much said:

Strange to see all these battery concerns / issues. My Dad’s CT was left for 3 months unused. No problems at all, started up first time.

Then he's very lucky and must be the exception that proves the rule. I would think it's very unusual for a 12V Battery to hold its charge that long when unused, but excellent that it did.

• Like 1