Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h Radiator Replacement Cost

Hello all, I've noticed a small leak on the passenger hand side of the car the other day, that seems to be coming from the radiator. Upon further inspection, I found that both sides of the caps were dripping a little.

There is no record of the radiator to be ever replaced and I think it's about time.

What are the reasonable costs associated with replacing a radiator (I don't believe it is a hybrid radiator that is leaking, but will monitor both levels and report back shortly)? What if, it's the hybrid radiator, how much would that set my back? Would you trust a good non-Lexus mechanic / garage to do the work for any of the above tasks?

EDIT: the leak is definitely the engine radiator and not the hybrid radiator. I've checked the coolant levels last evening and now, and the level has decreased a little - dipped by about a nail size.

Can't seem to edit my post further. I got a quote for the radiator from a very good local garage. They want £237.95 + VAT for the part alone. They want £27.95 for the Toyota Super Long Life pink stuff and £113.75 + VAT for labour. They can fit my own part so I'll go via that route.

I note that Eurocarparts sell EIS radiator for £110, Neisenns £182 and DENSO £328 - all ex-discount. I don't see how the EIS and Neisenns differ much in terms of quality. What would you recommend? I know people say DENSO was OE however I've read that their quality went down and a lot of the US folks had the DENSO changed 2-3 times within a space of 3 years, therefore I am not entirely sure that DENSO is as good as it once used to be.

50 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Thanks for sharing. To be honest, I'm not too fond of buying something so cheap. Don't get me wrong, I obviously want to save money, however if it's so cheap then I always question its reliability and durability. I have further reviewed the EIS radiators and they seem to fail quite bad (works out £71 after discount at Eurocarparts), so I went ahead and bought Neissens for £124 after discount with p&p. I've read that a lot of the folks on here fitted Neissens rads on their LS, GS and RX models. I also read on BMW forums and other car forums that Neissens seems to last a lot longer and is on par with OE.

Hello

I would recommend the DENSO one because that is the OEM radiator.(Denso company guarantees its products)

Of course we have the choice, but keep in mind that this will be for your own car.

As you can see in the link above, there is no name available for the producer.

At the end it is your choice what you use on your car.

Cheers

Denso supply the original rad, but they also make replacement products that aren't always of the same quality. Maybe that is the issue found in the US, or there was some old rusting stock somewhere or people didn't use the correct pre-mixed Toyota coolant.

In Europe, given the number of RXs sold, I wouldn't be surprised if all the replacement options come from the same factory, possible Denso in Japan. Not sure it would warrant the time to design and manufacture a radiator that would sell in very small numbers, especially as most owners would go to Lexus for an original part.

• Like 2

Cost? £85 Nissens rad. Back ache. A lot of swearing getting the underside rusted in rad bolts out. Rust welded in top screws - I had to lift casement shroud and slide out rad. But it’s working good now. Temp gauge sits at 55%

Thanks for response guys.

As stated above, I bought Neissen's rad. DENSO is good, but their replacement products aren't on par with the factory built stuff - of that makes sense. People on here have vouched for Neisenn on their LS and GS models, so I've decided to go with that.

Local garage is charging me £120 to fit the radiator. They also source Toyota's Super Long Life pink coolant at £27 per 5 litres. I don't currently have a drive so fitting one myself wasn't an option.

I have lost about a size of a nail and a half of coolant since the issue was spotted. It is dripping from both sides of the radiator caps at the bottom. Inverter coolant seems all good.

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I also need to replace the radiator on my 2007 RX400h and I'm looking at Advanced Radiators Ltd, Tyne and Wear, who are offering a 5 year guarantee. Pricey but I'm hoping it will last. Has anyone had any experience of this company and their products?

While checking the screws and bolts securing the radiator, I've found the two 8mm screws/bolts at the bottom of the air con and main radiators are seized solid. Any advice, please, on how to remove them? Would drilling the heads off get me anywhere?

Many thanks.

11 minutes ago, regularguy said:

While checking the screws and bolts securing the radiator, I've found the two 8mm screws/bolts at the bottom of the air con and main radiators are seized solid. Any advice, please, on how to remove them? Would drilling the heads off get me anywhere?

No idea about the company in Tyne & Wear but as for the seized bolts, I've had great success with this stuff in the past.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Herbie said:

No idea about the company in Tyne & Wear but as for the seized bolts, I've had great success with this stuff in the past.

That's worth noting Herbie.  I have used a mixture of ATF and acetone on seized nuts and bolts with some success since reading about it on an American forum some years ago.  Interesting it came second to liquid wrench in this test and watched a lot of videoed  tests this quick talking no bull guy has done.  As he showed, heat is usually best but not always practical to use.  Maybe ice would help but not tested. 

• Like 2

Herbie, you are a star! Worked a treat. Thank you.

Thanks Barry14UK. Interesting stuff.

Re Advanced Radiators Ltd, they replied to my emails regarding suitability of one of their products almost by return. However, when I emailed them for confirmation of their 5 year guarantee and terms and conditions of the guarantee, as it is not mentioned in their website Ts & Cs - no reply. After 3 days still no reply so I conclude no 5 year guarantee either!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links