Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

12 Vault Battery

Kas63

Hi guys thanks to this forum I was prepared today when my car wouldn’t start, I invested in a Tacklife jump starter when I bought the car as it’s parked in a garage that I have to drive into and don’t have access to another car to jump start it. Way back in the day, I expressed my concerns about this on here and I was told about jump starters, so thank you so much. My car is 3 years old and hasn’t  done 6000 miles yet, this was the first time it hasn’t started, drove it on Wednesday last week for a couple of miles, but the severe cold weather probably didn’t help. 

My question is how long do you need to drive the car to put some charge back in ? I drove  it up and down a couple of duel carriageways for about 30 minutes would that be enough or should I expect another flat Battery tomorrow as I do need to go out. 

Thanks Karen 

30 mins will give you enough charge for it to be okay tomorrow but it wouldn't have charged it fully - that would take something around 3+ hours to achieve.

The best thing is to charge the Battery fully using a charger. Then aim to charge it for at least an hour every week (either via a charger or just using the vehicle) to put back in what is lost whilst the vehicle is sitting there unused.

For the vehicle to charge the Battery, you don't actually have to drive it. You can leave it in Park, in 'Ready' mode and let the hybrid system charge the Battery. The petrol engine will turn itself on and off during that time but the 12v Battery is always being charged.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

30 mins will give you enough charge for it to be okay tomorrow but it wouldn't have charged it fully - that would take something around 3+ hours to achieve.

The best thing is to charge the battery fully using a charger. Then aim to charge it for at least an hour every week (either via a charger or just using the vehicle) to put back in what is lost whilst the vehicle is sitting there unused.

For the vehicle to charge the battery, you don't actually have to drive it. You can leave it in Park, in 'Ready' mode and let the hybrid system charge the battery. The petrol engine will turn itself on and off during that time but the 12v battery is always being charged.

Thank you for your advice, I will start the car on a regular basis and let the hybrid charge the Battery. I like driving cars but removing batteries and charging them, that’s is not in my skill set. I was just pleased knew how to use the Jump starter, was nervous at first, but now I know how it works. . 

• Like 1

Hi Karen

Judging by the thread title your Battery is not the usual one but the rarer 12 Vault version.

If the Tacklife Jump start doesn't work for any reason, you could try doing this.    Simone Biles - Vault 1 – 2018 U.S. Gymnastics Championships – Senior Women Day 2 - YouTube

SORRY! 😄