Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking for Rear outer light assembly

Hi everyone. Been searching for the rear outer light assembly for my (Registered 01/01/2004) Lexus RX300. Problem is when I search I get the choice of 2003 model which might be possible manufacture even when it was registered 2004 so I am confused as to whether they would be the same fittings. I have found one used because the price of a new one is ridiculous and from the picture might be slightly different and of course everything is plus VAT. Plus labour if they would deem to lower themselves to fit it. Tried to get a bit of information from Lexus franchise but the didn't reply, guess they only want to sell new cars. I have owned this car since 2010, the longest I have ever owned a car because it is so reliable. Anyone out there with advice or can guide me to a reasonably priced replacement would be much appreciated. I have given my search to "Find a Part" who check with car dismantlers but haven't got back to me.

Regards

From a parts point of view your vehicle is a 2003. That is when it would have been manufactured, and even if it was manufactured in early 2004 it would still be to the 2003 specification.

By outer do you mean the part attached to the rear wing rather than the tailgate - if so I believe the part codes are:

81561-48060    Left

81551-48060    Right

The part didn't change from 03 through end 05. I don't think it changed in the 06 facelift either so potentially the same part was used until the end of 08.

Don't get one for the 400h, they are different to the RX300/350.

Full part codes here:

https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2004_LEXUS_RX300~330~350_MCU35R-AWAGKW_8111.html

• Like 3

Thanks, that's all I wanted to know so I didn't make a mistake and only find out after I had removed the damaged one. Can't believe they are in such short supply considering when looking on the scrap sites, some look in quite good condition outwardly so I expect they are MOT failures. Thanks again and stay safe.

Regards

Hi, it certainly looks the same. I am reliably informed by ColinBarber that they are the same 2003/04. I will be happy to find out about your "option" used Drivers side (UK) rear outer assembly appears to be in short supply for the Lexus RX300, so reliable, everything one would desire in a car and sadly so unfavourable now. Thank you for your interest and i look forward to being emlightened.

Stay safe

Regards

• Like 1

Well in short I brought a second hand set in from Japan to fit to my RX which could be surplus to requirements now.

I can grab a few pics next time I'm in the yard (poor car has been crashed into and is awaiting repairs). 

Will also take a few pics to guide you through fitting a fresh lamp whilst I'm at it for information purposes.  Pretty certain you only need a 10mm socket and 5 minutes to swap one in but will update over the weekend. 

I would agree with you that used parts are hard to find for these machines, a good testament to their reliability but it certainly makes things difficult to source!

Sounds encouraging, the awkward question arises is price and how do I pay you? coincidentally I have found one on eBay, not in a rush though. Very kind of you to take the time to include fitting instruction. I did watch a YouTube video of some chap in USA showing how. It looks like on our model you have to remove the black cover in the tailgate channel and the bolts are under there but from the photo of the one on eBay it looks like it has a clip that locks in place. My light was damaged when I went to fill up and the previous user hadn't put the diesel pump back properly so when I removed the petrol gun it pulled the diesel pump out and it hit the top of the light breaking the plastic cover. Unable to get compensation from ASDA, said their CCTV didn't cover that area! Absolutely shocked at the price Lexus quoted + VAT and labour. Look forward to hearing from you.

Stay safe

Regards

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay.  I managed to spend a bit of time on Monday with the vehicle, under-estimated the faffing about required.  Battery was dead after two years idle but I managed to get it fired up in the end.

Right, mixed results.  Firstly I took a few pics to guide you through what's involved in replacing.

Remove the trim inside the boot compartment:

20210228_143551.thumb.jpg.81b36083bfdcd41109628602b5e8e978.jpg

Disconnect the three connections (the two bulbs just twist out and the connector unclips):

20210228_145407.thumb.jpg.79f7ad5f1ea5c064d24cc7171f084411.jpg

The lamp is held by three 10mm nuts which just need undoing, two pictured and one out of shot:

20210228_143601.thumb.jpg.fff423c962c6ff2cdb58879616a2617c.jpg

20210228_144743.thumb.jpg.0cdecf88a79fb713eaf1598bdd0b7201.jpg

Tools involved:

20210228_144343.thumb.jpg.52dd69554a56a04fdcf84ebc6027085f.jpg

Lamp loose:

20210228_144739.thumb.jpg.8827abab2aa4ad3e5d3cb267d3e3d9d2.jpg

And out, you can see the three threaded bars to aim for once it's out:

20210228_144840.thumb.jpg.77762e59aa9ebfa796491e30f135d4c7.jpg

It's a bit fiddly for access, especially if you have digger buckets for hands.  Be careful not to drop any of the 10mm nuts into the quarter panel.  There's a gasket between the lamp and body so it might need swapped across to your replacement lamp.

Bad news is I think we can rule out the lamp set I got from Japan as there's a circuit board missing.  Wouldn't want to add to the hassle by selling something that isn't complete.  Looks like I'd need to swap it across from old units to make them work.  Shame as they are in decent nick:

20210228_143720.thumb.jpg.be8b1a15ca8ff44efa554907dd8d7128.jpg

Is it just the lenses you need of is your housing damaged too?

Hi there Jaystar77, Sorry didn't mean to hassle you I think it was the sunny weather. The damage to my housing it to the plastic outer casing. As I said it was a diesel pump gun that landed on the top and put a hole in it at the top, which has let the rain in. Didn't realise there is a circuit board involved. Also I had been LED to believe the bolts holding the assembly in were accessed from the outer tailgate frame but I bow to your experience. I will have to have a look inside the boot compartment. Thanks for getting back to me. Tried to upload a photo but failed. There is a hole in the outer glass (plastic) at the top.

Had a look inside the boot area and you are right it is fiddly, must have done that on purpose so it made it difficult for DIY. Managed to send a picture, as you can see I have covered it with cellotape. Pity you can't just change the glass (plastic) part like in the old days. Are the set in your photo the one to buy. Just as a point of information where are these based, just in case you are close enough for me to click and collect if we go ahead and to save any more of your time it might be best if you can give me a price.

Regards

Stay safe

769054350_RX300rearlight.jpg

Hi David,

You possibly can change the lense piece once the unit is removed, it would certainly make things easier than swapping the circuit board by the looks of it.  

Let me have another look at them this weekend to see what's possible.

These are spares so I can always fire what you need in the post then we can square up via paypal if need be.

I'll report back after I've looked into it.

Cheers,

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning Jaystar77

Had a word with the parts department at Lexus Reading. He tells me the outer lens is not replaceable it comes a one unit. What surprised me, apart from the price was that when you buy it brand new it doesn't come with the circuit board. It didn't sound as if it might be a difficult job so give me a price and I will make the decision whether to accept your deal or buy the one on eBay that looks complete.

Regards

Morning David,

I managed to have a poke at this one yesterday thinking that the lense might be removable but it appears that the unit is glued together so heat would be required to split it.  Seeing as these ones are without the circuit boards it would make more sense to purchase the complete one from eBay - at least that would give you one less thing to worry about when replacing the lamp.  Swapping this bit looks awkward as access to the screws that hold it is restricted.

Hopefully the images above should save you a few quid on the fitting at least!

If you hit any difficulties give me a shout back 🙂

Good morning Jay, yes I was thinking the same, the one on eBay has the electric cables attached so could possibly just be a straight swap. They appear to be open to nearest offer. Thanks for all your help and advice and I am sure the pictures you posted will help, pity it is not the other side because I am right handed but will have to use left hand to release and refit the nuts, not so dexterous. I will try to update you as and when I fit the replacement. Incidentally the Lexus price was £170 without the circuit board. Thanks again

Keep safe  

I'm intrigued by this now.

It's been more than three years since we traded in our 2005 RX300 so my memory may be playing tricks on me, but I don't remember seeing this circuit board that you're talking about.

I'm almost sure that the RX300 uses standard filament lamps and as such I can't imagine what a circuit board would be doing in there; I would have thought it would just be a connector that the lamp plugs straight into. I think the RX400h had LEDs as standard so they definitely would have a circuit board.

Can you just confirm, for the sake of my addled brain, where this circuit board is please?

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

I'm almost sure that the RX300 uses standard filament lamps and as such I can't imagine what a circuit board would be doing in there; I would have thought it would just be a connector that the lamp plugs straight into. I think the RX400h had LEDs as standard so they definitely would have a circuit board.

All UK series II RXs have LED rear brake lights - if nothing more than a safety feature. The circuit board is a circular designed PCB with the LEDs directly mounted to it. If you google 81553-48060 or 81563-48060 you will find pictures of them.

• Thanks 1

If you require new light clusters for UK vehicles I'd strongly recommend you stay away from non-European clusters or at least do research. Regulation regarding indicators, brake lights, fog lights and distances between them are different in different regions. Vehicles in Japan for example don't tend to have fog lights and have dual brake lights on each side - the clusters are therefore not plug and play.

Hi Colin Barber. Clicked your link numbers and all I got was a Volvo. As I said in my message about when I spoke with the parts department at Lexus Reading he asked for my registration which i presume gives them all the details of my vehicle. he then went on to tell me the price was £170 excluding the circuit board. When I look at the one on eBay there does appear to be some kind of printed circuit board but also it does appear to show the leads going to where the bulbs are. I will see if I can take a picture of it. Might also be an idea if I look in the manual about replacing bulbs. Oh for the good old days when you just removed a few screws and replaced the glass.

Regards

OK guys here is a picture of the one on eBay, claims it is for the 2003/4 RX300. Good clean lens undamaged, bit ropy inside. It's green part that might be a circuit board. What do you think. I have made an offer but will not decide until you give the OK.

713663383_Lexusrrearlight.thumb.jpg.224c6321bd62653382f0ed9e9b381587.jpg

13 minutes ago, Antique said:

Hi Colin Barber. Clicked your link numbers and all I got was a Volvo.

Sorry, those weren't meant to be hyperlinks - I've edited. The part codes were just for Herbs so he can see the boards we are talking about.

Yes the light clusters come without the LED circuit board - you are meant to transfer from your old one.

368150295_Screenshot2021-03-15at15_37_08.thumb.png.06b00ca978ea0cd4733b54db4809497e.png

• Like 1

Yeah, my research went as far as checking the part numbers so the Harrier rear lights are technically the same units.  It's just I was a bit thrown by the missing LED boards.  

Few pics to show the bits in detail:

20210228_144840.thumb.jpg.2bd968f4787818a0316c27c5e56233ff.jpg

I'm hoping the board is simply held in with those two torque bolts 

20210228_144923.thumb.jpg.36311b09240276c98b61a030f9572f7e.jpg

This is a pic of the Japanese unit which is missing the board:

20210228_144925.thumb.jpg.1d7b929ea0a006c50276c93f83120e54.jpg

You can see there are still two regular bulbs involved as per the diagram:

20210228_145407.thumb.jpg.001e4608ee642ee80087acaf83a56403.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK! update. I received the used replacement rear light for my Lexus RX300 and a good point was it still had the bulb and fittings in so i could practice removing them. I gave to be honest I was not looking forward to this job. I started off removing the panel in the back of the car but struggled to remove the bulb fittings, especially the one right out of sight, didn't have enough strength in my fingers to turn it. Eventually got them all out and started to release the 3 nuts only to find 2 were 6MM and 10mm so more aggro. I think Lexus made this job very difficult on purpose so they can charge a fortune for doing it. So with a small spanner, because a socket was not possible on 2 of the nuts I managed to get them off without dropping any. Replacing was a little easier because of lessons learnt but still very difficult because of needing to get the nuts tight enough. So after a few cut knuckles finally back inn now all I needed was to find it didn't work, because it is impossible to connect up before fitting. Eureka, all works. If I am ever faced with this job again I will scrap the car instead. Used light in great condition, good value at £65, still not sure how one would exchange the circuit board though.

Any way thanks everyone for your help and encouragement.

Stay safe

• Like 2