Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help the dummy please 😄

Nearing completion of the LS aside that f-ing AC pipe... car came with wear sensor light on the dash, no sensors in place so I bought a front and rear one on the advice that only 1 was needed for each pair. Am I an idiot? (please tell me). How many wear sensors are on a '96 LS, 2, 4, 8? Think my brain needs a wear indicator sometimes when it's time for a lie down 😆

I think mine were surgically removed and prevented from showing on the dash quite a long while ago ...  they became non-sensical in their operation ......  the annual service shows well in time the need for attention to the brakes etc

Just my indy doing what seems sensible on my specific car

Malc

There is one on front and one on rear as aforementioned but if using genuine Lexus pads the rear ones don't have a channel to place the sensor in. This is probably as the newer pads are used for many different models this was how it was in about 2017 anyway. I have wrapped the wires from the rear sensor together and wrapped them in electricians tape and have kept them out of the way of moving parts.

On the Mk4 the sensor sits at the bottom of the pad...in the fork of its body: that’s on an original pad. There is indeed a recess at the front pads and it is different to rear.

A small clip secures the sensors in place.

the fork end is bottom/solid end with hole is top: these are OE in the pic.

95625BB1-8792-42D6-95AC-8F4D255C1EAE.jpeg

Just seen this thread and would add that when I went to Lexus they wanted about ÂŁ160 for the sensor and eventually I bought one from china for a couple of pounds and it fitted and performed well.

My front sensor was Pagid P8656 from Eurocarparts at a stiff £45 but I baulked at the cheap ones although I think they might’ve been fine. 

The rear one could be re-used as although some wear was evident it wasn’t enough to bear the contact.

If you have time, Rockauto in the States might be a good source.

At some point I need to replace the rear one. It's tied up at the moment. Some butchery had gone on over the last 24 years and made it throw the warning even though there was nothing wrong with the pads. The fact it's like that does make me itch a little.

Reasonably priced from Amayama.

23 hours ago, Malc said:

they became non-sensical in their operation

I should explain ....  they showed up warning on the dash when there was about 10k miles left in the pads .......  irritating in the extreme

Malc

• Like 1

I wouldn't hesitate to buy aftermarket brake wear sensors, they're such a basic thing, and Lexus charge laughable prices for them.  I'd be more than happy to pay Rockauto £3.75 for them, I'd also be just as happy to join the wires and inspect the pads at service time.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links