Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys, 

I've just bought a 1998 LS400 gold edition, 157k. 

I've got several issues with it. 

Most of them I'm able to sort out without any problem.

When I bought the car transmission was overfilled by about 1ltr. After draining surplus I've noticed the oil was in really bad condition. I've just replaced the transmission filter and topped up oil. I've discovered about 5mm of metalic mud on magnets. I know that only about 2ltrs will drain. Should I flush the whole oil with new one using the cooling pipes or just go through few drains and top ups? I've read a lot about it and some people say that flushing can damage the transmission. 

When replacing the filter I realised that the front right wheel has got a lot of play so I took the hub off and realised that wheel bearing, track rod end and lower ball joint need replacing as well. The brake dust shield is so corroded and needs changing. I couldn't find any new shields anywhere. Do you know where I can get them from? Or will any other fit? 

The other thing I'm struggling with is locking system. When I open the car and will not insert the key into ignition widows and sunroof will open automatically. When driving I can hear locks attempting to open from time to time. The remote also stops working and when I use the key to open the door the alarm starts to go(happy neighbours in the early hours). 

Finally I think I will have to replace the starter as it ticks instead of cranking when cold. Last few frosty nights LED it to spinning even when I took the keys out of the ignition. If I replace the solenoids, plunger and clean the electromagnet will it be enough or I need to replace the whole thing(considering replacement of all seals) ? 

Any advice on this? 

Thanks

Marek 

Flushing can be bad if you connect a power flusher to the cooling pipes. If you just let the transmission pump out the fluid itself if you start the vehicle for a few seconds, then stop, top up and repeat you shouldn't have an issue. Only use the correct Toyota fluid.

Others may be able to advise on the locking issue, but your last point about unlocking with a key is correct - if the alarm has been set then the alarm needs to be unarmed with the fob otherwise opening the door will set it off.

Regarding the starter - make sure you don't just have a weak Battery before considering the starter. In theory the checking/cleaning the solenoid/plunger should be enough however changing the starter is a major, major job which you only want to do once so best just to swap the thing out so you don't need to go near it again - you will need many gaskets and many hours to do the change so it is both expensive and time consuming.

Thanks Colin Barber, 

I'm using Toyota Type 4 Oil as recommended. I was thinking about letting returning colling pipe to drain and immersing the sucking one in new oil. 

When replacing the solenoids and plunger I will have take the starter out anyway (meaning all new gaskets). Am I right?

Thanks 

23 minutes ago, forester831 said:

I'm using Toyota Type 4 Oil as recommended

👍

I was thinking about letting returning colling pipe to drain and immersing the sucking one in new oil. 

Yes that should work, just make sure quantities stay roughly together so you don't over/under fill. Remember to go through all the gears so all the fluid in the valve body gets refreshed.

When replacing the solenoids and plunger I will have take the starter out anyway (meaning all new gaskets). Am I right?

Yes 😞 

13 hours ago, forester831 said:

The brake dust shield is so corroded and needs changing

Lexus Parts Direct have them listed for £43.66 each, I had one replaced at Lexus in Nov 2019. Normally to replace them the wheel bearing/hub need to be removed but the mechanic at Lexus had a 'method' to replace it without removing them. If your replacing the wheel bearing anyway that isn't an issue.

Hi, 

So I've replaced the bearing which wasn't easy. Had to give the hub to local garage and they spent 1hour cutting the old racer out and pressing new bearing in. Charged £40 for the job. 

I have also replaced the lower ball joint and track rod end. It wasn't too bad as its only few bolts but I struggled a bit removing ball joints as they were stuck. You probably can imagine I have snapped the abs sensor(as they always do) so I had to stick it up with sikaflex as I can't find new one anywhere. Even the guys breaking some of the ls400s didn't want to sell just the sensor but the whole hub as the sensors like to snap. 

Going back to transmission liquid replacement. It didn't go as I wanted to do it because the sucking hose which comes out of the radiator doesn't suck. I think that the pump just pushes the liquid out and the pressure injects it back to transmission. I ended up disconnecting hose from radiator and letting it bleed with the engine running and shifting gears lever, while topping up oil through the dipstick tube. It worked quite well and I got most the oil flushed. After this I had to drive the car through all the gears just a few meters around to make sure the oil got everywhere. Few top ups were needed. 

Now it changes the gears smooth and drives lovely. 

I tried to upload few pictures but it says that upload failed.

Is there a maximum size for uploads? 

Thanks 

Marek 

A new sensor is listed around £300.00 from Lexus however Amayama do the same for around £130.00 but be aware of possible import taxes and fees adding another £30.00 odd onto the total.

Rockauto also do aftermarket replacements but they are as expensive as OEM from Amayama.

They also do the brake shields for £12.00.

38237213-5FDB-4E14-8B16-8BF95D44B83B.png

C8002E16-6918-47E4-A860-C9A75689D394.png

@steve2006 hi, I never knew about Amayama, thanks!

I need Actuator Assembly, Swing Grille which cost £500 from Lexus Glasgow or £360 from Lexus online but Amayama has it for £133! Is that for real?!

How long does it usually take for the part to arrive? Is it safe to order from them? Have you used them before? I understand that I might need to pay a VAT on it when it comes to UK. Thanks Steve.

59 minutes ago, Vlady said:

@steve2006 hi, I never knew about Amayama, thanks!

I need Actuator Assembly, Swing Grille which cost £500 from Lexus Glasgow or £360 from Lexus online but Amayama has it for £133! Is that for real?!

How long does it usually take for the part to arrive? Is it safe to order from them? Have you used them before? I understand that I might need to pay a VAT on it when it comes to UK. Thanks Steve.

I’ve used them once and had no problems at all, the parts come from either Japan or the UAE.

The estimated delivery time is provided on the website when you select the part you need but is generally within a couple of weeks, if the parcel does get stopped for customs you can make payment online by card with delivery a few days later.

If you look at my examples the sensor is 2-5 of March the brake cover 7-16 March.

Paying by credit card gives you full protection over £100.00 should something go wrong.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

A new sensor is listed around £300.00 from Lexus however Amayama do the same for around £130.00 but be aware of possible import taxes and fees adding another £30.00 odd onto the total.

Rockauto also do aftermarket replacements but they are as expensive as OEM from Amayama.

They also do the brake shields for £12.00.

38237213-5FDB-4E14-8B16-8BF95D44B83B.png

C8002E16-6918-47E4-A860-C9A75689D394.png

Thanks for the help Steve2006. I will definitely buy few parts from them. Didn't even know amayama before. 👍 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, forester831 said:

Thanks for the help Steve2006. I will definitely buy few parts from them. Didn't even know amayama before. 👍 

No problem, always glad to help fellow members.

I have full access to Toyota databases so if you need part numbers just let me know.

• Thanks 1

Amayama are fine. No problems ordering from them but note that if they show >1 of an item it can mean the part ends up unavailable. I've had that a couple of times. Full refund given of course.

15 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

No problem, always glad to help fellow members.

I have full access to Toyota databases so if you need part numbers just let me know.

That's amazing, makes life so much easier. 

Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, forester831 said:

That's amazing, makes life so much easier.

Amayama ordering ....  my specifics when ordering the UCAs ......... delivery quite prompt yes .........  final delivered price, was 

Amayama book price say £130 ...  carriage/delivery, VAT and Customs Duty and Royal Mail £12 handling charge ( for the documentation I believe ) = another say £130 ............  yes a 100% uplift ...........and all payable by card when you're told the item is ready for delivery to your address .......  you may need to chase the delivery company too when you're advised by Amayama of despatch / tracking ...  after a few days

BUT still maybe only 50% of the Toyota / Lexus book price for the part tho' :thumbsup:

Good Luck with it all

Malc

• Like 2

5 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I’ve used them once and had no problems at all, the parts come from either Japan or the UAE.

The estimated delivery time is provided on the website when you select the part you need but is generally within a couple of weeks, if the parcel does get stopped for customs you can make payment online by card with delivery a few days later.

If you look at my examples the sensor is 2-5 of March the brake cover 7-16 March.

Paying by credit card gives you full protection over £100.00 should something go wrong.

It would be good to get it by 5th of March but when you proceed with order you get the following message:

image.thumb.png.beaf742b90a2d9f49e10695882649ab2.png

It might take much much longer than couple of weeks! But it is so much cheaper than what Lexus UK wants!

The worry I have is that I already disassembled the Grille so the car will be stationary (if I order via Amayama) for weeks! 😞

2 minutes ago, forester831 said:

Why don't you put it back together and wait for delivery? Have you tried car breakers? There's few on ebay. Or I'm getting something wrong?

Ordered. 🙂

We can use my wifes car but probably will put it back together anyway, it will limit the chances of parts being lost!

On 2/17/2021 at 8:46 PM, forester831 said:

The other thing I'm struggling with is locking system. When I open the car and will not insert the key into ignition widows and sunroof will open automatically. When driving I can hear locks attempting to open from time to time. The remote also stops working and when I use the key to open the door the alarm starts to go(happy neighbours in the early hours). 

Hello again, 

Today I managed to get car into self diagnostic of remote locking. It looks like my remote system is working fine as it responded to every button on remote but it doesn't open or close the car. Could you point me to where should I head next? 

I'm planning to strip the drivers door to have a look at wiring as it does not operate central locking with key on this side. 

Make sure the Battery in the remote fob is good ( put in a new one) because operating does not make it good .Go through the set up procedures for remote locking they are in the archives first disconnect the Battery and leave for ten minutes and reconnect,then start the set up procedure before you start stripping down the door ,the door wiring is on a loom that connects all the electrics in the door and is a bind to get at furthermore it is unlikely to be the wiring as the area is sealed in you are not dealing with ford build quality on a Lexus.

Hi, 

I've replaced the Battery in remote and it didn't change anything. After going through self diagnostic and reading the repair manual it clearly comes to the fact that the transmitter and receiver are ok. Manual says that other components are faulty. 

When opening the door with key manually central locking works ok now.

What else should I check?

Would it be faulty wireless opening ecu? 

The car had a leak from top of windscreen and maybe some water got near this ecu as it's located above cd changer?

Please give some advice as it's drives me mental. 😵

Cheers 

The circuits to the operating components are ok so the wiring is ok ,the switches that operate through wireless commands are not so it can be one of two things ,programming and ECU commands it may be the ECU but changing it will raise other issues as it is coded to the fob .The failure of these components is rare on this car so I think the answer to the problem is in the programming and is out of line somewhere.Start from scratch and re programme the set up from scratch .