Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

12V Battery

13 minutes ago, Paresh said:

How can they justify charging £60.00 to fit the battery.

Someone has to pay for the coffee, and biscuits  along with the large glass showroom. You also pay for the service writer behind the counter, the spares counter guy, the mechanic that fits the Battery, and the guy washing of the car after the work is carried out.
These are just some of the benefits of using the dealer for simple replacement work.

John.  

8 minutes ago, Paresh said:

How can they justify charging £60.00 to fit the battery.

Because they are Lexus.

A lot of people on these forums think that their car is going to spontaneously combust if anything other than "genuine" Lexus parts come within a hundred metres of it, or if anyone other than a Lexus Technician who completed his apprenticeship in the 'Land of Lexus' and completed his training by drinking the tears of a purple dragon at midnight on the Winter Solstice, dares to go near it.

While people are happy to pay over the odds, prices will always remain high.

46 minutes ago, Herbie said:

You can easily fit it yourself, it's just the same as replacing the battery on any other car you've ever had, although the sunroof (if you have one) and windows will probably need resetting.

^^ It’s easy if you know how. Unfortunately I have no technical capability at all, and I have no confidence when it comes to such things. Ask me to translate Latin or Classical Greek, or to write an academic document, then I’m your man - but any sort of diy I’m just hopeless! That’s why I’ll get my battery fitted by Lexus, although at £150 fitted it is more than I’d expect. Still, for me it’s a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Interestingly I’ve called the local  Halfords, Kwik Fit and ATS and none of them could fit me in to do this (I suspect because of lack of parts availability) for between 1-2 weeks. Lexus Swindon can do it on Tuesday, so for the extra £25 it’s an obvious decision.

Some choose to pay dealerships to do all of their servicing and repairs and some don’t go near them. The rest are probably somewhere in between these two. No right or wrong and it’s a personal choice. Affordability and  peace of mind probably play a large part in people’s choices. I wouldn’t let Halfords anywhere near any of my cars but that’s a personal choice which I’m happy with. I wouldn’t dream of criticising anyone that does use them. I use the dealership too which again is a personal choice. Again, I understand why some won’t.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

It’s easy if you know how. Unfortunately I have no technical capability at all, and I have no confidence when it comes to such things.

I suppose it depends on if you have any inclination to learn what to do. If not, then that's fair enough, but since the advent of YouTube the phrase "I don't know how to do that"  doesn't really stand up any more if you're at least willing to have a go.

I repair computers for a living and a desktop tower is basically a desktop tower. However, laptops and notebooks are all different with screws in different places; some even have hidden screws and/or a certain sequence to dismantle them. If I'm faced with something I've never seen before and it's proving difficult, I head straight to YouTube where you can almost guarantee that someone has done it before and posted a video on how to get into the thing, so it's as simple as watching (pausing the video if necessary) and then copying.

There are plenty of videos showing how to change a car Battery, the one below being just one of them. The Battery may be in a different location on different cars but the principles of changing a Battery is the same for all cars.

I know, Ed, that you'll still stick to the dealer and that's fair enough. But if the video below gives even just one person the impetus to try it, the feeling of achievement when you've successfully completed something you've never done before - and even saved a few quid too - is great.

@Herbieover the years I’ve tried to do many different diy type things, many times. Even following instructions they never turn out right - it’s just not something that comes naturally to me. I’m useless at anything practical, mathematical, mechanical or scientific. No amount of trying will change that, it will simply cause me frustration, additional time and (probably) extra expense!

I actually lecture on something unrelated - a totally different type of skill. It’s something that comes naturally to me. The first thing the audience (usually Undergrads but sometimes Postgrads, Lecturers and business people) need to understand is never listen to somebody who says “...all you need to do is etc.” That person will be speaking from a position of confidence and natural ability, often unable to understand that others may feel very different. Instead, a better approach is to find a technique that works for the individual, especially if it’s something they will have no option but to do...

...In this situation, I’m taking my own advice. The technique that works best for me is to pay somebody else to do it!

😅

• Like 2

I'm all for people doing things themselves, part of the reason LOC exists, and would encourage people to have a go, and if it was to replace a pollen filter then everybody should try, but replacing a Battery does come with some risks as it is a store of a lot of energy and contains dangerous chemicals. Therefore I don't advise pressuring people to try it as their first DIY job.

• Disconnect the +ve terminal first and touch the spanner against some metal work could result in the spanner welding itself to the vehicle, burning a hole right through the bodywork, burning yourself or the battery actually exploding with the resultant acid going everywhere
  • Putting the new Battery in the wrong way around and connecting it up will hopefully just blow fuses but could damage the vehicle electronics - either way added expense and inconvenience
  • Car batteries are heavy, easy to slip when removing it from the vehicle and dropping it causing damage to the vehicle, Battery or yourself

But there certainly isn't a need to pay a Lexus dealer to do the work. Any garage/mechanic can do that for a fraction of the cost, or find someone to help such as a neighbour or local LOC member etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

I suppose it depends on if you have any inclination to learn what to do. If not, then that's fair enough, but since the advent of YouTube the phrase "I don't know how to do that"  doesn't really stand up any more if you're at least willing to have a go.

I repair computers for a living and a desktop tower is basically a desktop tower. However, laptops and notebooks are all different with screws in different places; some even have hidden screws and/or a certain sequence to dismantle them. If I'm faced with something I've never seen before and it's proving difficult, I head straight to YouTube where you can almost guarantee that someone has done it before and posted a video on how to get into the thing, so it's as simple as watching (pausing the video if necessary) and then copying.

There are plenty of videos showing how to change a car battery, the one below being just one of them. The battery may be in a different location on different cars but the principles of changing a battery is the same for all cars.

I know, Ed, that you'll still stick to the dealer and that's fair enough. But if the video below gives even just one person the impetus to try it, the feeling of achievement when you've successfully completed something you've never done before - and even saved a few quid too - is great.

Well done you.....

6 hours ago, Herbie said:

Because they are Lexus.

A lot of people on these forums think that their car is going to spontaneously combust if anything other than "genuine" Lexus parts come within a hundred metres of it, or if anyone other than a Lexus Technician who completed his apprenticeship in the 'Land of Lexus' and completed his training by drinking the tears of a purple dragon at midnight on the Winter Solstice, dares to go near it.

While people are happy to pay over the odds, prices will always remain high.

Depends on your skill set and your confidence in learning new skills, I will try anything within reason but know my limits, you fix computers, if you wanted a wall plastering is it as easy as going on you tube? Don’t think so

Whether the job is easy or not to change the 12v Battery in an is300h after reading the unfortunate situation Rayaans suffered I'd personally get Lexus to change the Battery then if by any chance something happens like the radio unit going kapput then they'd be liable. Totally bazaar the situation Rayaans has found himself in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derant said:

Apologies Herbie I quoted the wrong post from you

No worries Antony, I know which one you meant.

Of course, it is as you say, knowing your limits. I'm of an age where apprentices had to pass City & Guilds instead of these new-fangled NVQs and the apprenticeships were four years long. To take your example of plastering, a very good mate of mine is a City & Guilds qualified plasterer and his skills are amazing.

Would I ever be as good as him? Of course not - but watching YouTube videos gave me enough confidence to attempt plastering a whole wall when he'd broken his leg and couldn't do the job for me. No doubt Dave could find a zillion faults with it but I made a passable attempt at it and was well chuffed with the result. It was only a very small wall in a downstairs toilet with nothing complicated, and I would never, ever, attempt to plaster a ceiling - getting plaster to defy gravity like that is more akin to the Black Arts!

But it was still something that I'd never done before and only because YouTube exists did I attempt it.

7 hours ago, Herbie said:

I'm of an age where apprentices had to pass City & Guilds

Me too, my apprenticeship was 4 years full on but at the end of it I had the mindset that most things were worth attempting especially as I was at sea and there was no help to call on.  It's stood me well for later in life and as a result I've had some very interesting and diverse jobs.  BUT, it's a personal thing and not for everyone, I'm glad that everyone is not as bloody minded as I am 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1