Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2011 - RX 450h Tailgate motor failure.

Yesterday I had a Lexus service and it was found the tailgate motor was defective. (No explanation on the cause of defective) Quoted £1226.92 to replace. I can not open the tailgate as instructed by the manual, key fob or manual lock from inside the boot area and outside. Switch in glove compartment in "on" position.

Is £1226.92  excessive? I was advised by Lexus that I can not open the tailgate until the motor is replaced, does this seem correct? If so, how do Lexus open the tailgate to replace the motor?

Prior to the service, 2 weeks ago, I had a flat Battery, could this have contributed to the failure?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

George

In your shoes I would ask the Lexus dealership the question posed here as to how they would open the hatch.  Additionally, I would ask how their figure is broken down into parts and labour.   I would then ask another Lexus Dealership to price for this job.  If the motor forms the greater part you could try sourcing one from a breakers. 

1 hour ago, George Phillips said:

I can not open the tailgate as instructed by the manual, key fob or manual lock from inside the boot area and outside. Switch in glove compartment in "on" position.

Do you mean that you can't lower the back seat and lean over to release the tailgate by using the manual lever like below?

2021-02-19.thumb.png.588bfb0641421a47656827535297b642.png

If that doesn't work then as Barry said above, ring Lexus and ask them how to do it.

There are a few tailgate lock/latch/motor assemblies on eBay from Lithuania, this one being just under fifty quid including postage.

This one at £102 including delivery

This one at just under £90 including delivery

Some people on here and also in our 'sister' group on Facebook have had parts from Lithuania and have all been happy with what they got, so I wouldn't worry about being ripped off or anything like that.

If you are not happy with spending that much and you are happy to open it manually for a while get a good piece of string and tie it to the manual release under the cover (in the picture above ) then loop it through the cargo holder on the passenger side of the boot and run it towards the rear door if you need to get in just pull the string and have someone lift the boot lid 

• Like 1