Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel consumption IS300H

Just filled the car again.

33 l

410 km

around 8 l each 100 km.

Very far from what is shown on the web from Lexus. 3.8

Hope that pollution data are more correct or I am not doing as good for the environment as I thought I would driving a hybrid.

Or maybe something is wrong with the car, but less than 1000 km after service where they told me everything is in perfect order.

Full tank and 645km is shown:

20210223_095016.jpg

2 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Just filled the car again.

33 l

410 km

around 8 l each 100 km.

Very far from what is shown on the web from Lexus. 3.8

Hope that pollution data are more correct or I am not doing as good for the environment as I thought I would driving a hybrid.

Or maybe something is wrong with the car, but less than 1000 km after service where they told me everything is in perfect order.

Full tank and 645km is shown:

20210223_095016.jpg

You will never reach 3.8 l/100k except for short stretches where you can keep a nice steady 60kmh - 80kmh sort of speed - then you can achieve very good results. In mixed driving over a long period of time (ie 12 months to account for all weather temperatures) then around 6 l / 100km is achievable so long as you are not racing everywhere and have a nice mix of decent length runs so the engine is fully warmed up etc. - which is in-line with the WLTP figures (I think we can all forget about the old figures now!). If you are seeing 8 l / 100km then it is most likely down to a) short runs in cold weather or b) hard driving

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

If you are seeing 8 l / 100km then it is most likely down to a) short runs in cold weather or b) hard driving

Short runs happen. Long runs too. Cold weather in The Canary Islands is when it is 15 degrees Celsius at night. In the last 15 years there has been snow in 2000 m above sea level less than 15 days. We live sea level.

Hard driving? Maybe. I drive as I did before in a Golf 2.0tdi DSG (auromatic) and VW claimed 5 l per 100 km. I did a bit worse: 6 - 6.5 l per 100 km. VW a little optimistic. Lexus a lot more. After all it is not a big engine. CT200H.

The cars I had before I do not know anything about how much they consumed or polluted.

The CT is better for me as no black smoke is ever coming out behind it. It is quiet and far more comfortable with all the automatic functions it has and the audio is the best I have heard in any car.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 9:10 AM, Linas.P said:

If that would make you feel better my RC200t does 22MPG... well that is a surprise even fore me, I was not expecting it to be fuel efficient, but I didn't know it was THAT inefficient. 

slezy_53424162_orig_.jpeg

On 2/23/2021 at 1:03 PM, Las Palmas said:

Short runs happen. Long runs too. Cold weather in The Canary Islands is when it is 15 degrees Celsius at night. In the last 15 years there has been snow in 2000 m above sea level less than 15 days. We live sea level.

Hard driving? Maybe. I drive as I did before in a Golf 2.0tdi DSG (auromatic) and VW claimed 5 l per 100 km. I did a bit worse: 6 - 6.5 l per 100 km. VW a little optimistic. Lexus a lot more. After all it is not a big engine. CT200H.

The cars I had before I do not know anything about how much they consumed or polluted.

The CT is better for me as no black smoke is ever coming out behind it. It is quiet and far more comfortable with all the automatic functions it has and the audio is the best I have heard in any car.

Weather warmer here today - 15C - just done a 130 miles (210 km) trip in my IS 300h - this was a mix of motorway, single carriageway and through towns (with about two-thirds on the motorway and making good time). Overall consumption for the journey was 52mpg on the car computer (4.5l / 100km). This is what I expect to see when the temperature is around 15C based on a few years of ownership over which I have now done 55,000 miles (88,000 km) in the car. 

16 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Weather warmer here today - 15C - just done a 130 miles (210 km) trip in my IS 300h - this was a mix of motorway, single carriageway and through towns (with about two-thirds on the motorway and making good time). Overall consumption for the journey was 52mpg on the car computer (4.5l / 100km). This is what I expect to see when the temperature is around 15C based on a few years of ownership over which I have now done 55,000 miles (88,000 km) in the car. 

I believe it is due to AC constantly on + audio and especially the hills here. Even in the city there are areas at sea level and areas 300 m above. Engine is running constant when going up and as soon as it goes down again 8 bars in hybrid Battery are full and then there is no more space for power in there when braking. If crawling and annoying the other drivers on the road I can get it down to 6 l / 100km. Driving normal it is 7.7 and if going in the mountains 8. And at service less than 1000 km ago I was told that everything is perfect. Maybe if turning off AC and audio it will use a bit less.

Ac would have minimal impact, maybe little bit in CT200h, but even then only if you stationary - just my guess but in stationary car it maybe going to be 5% more, but when you driving ... maybe 1%. Don't quote me on these number, I am just saying AC will have very small impact to consumption, audio wouldn't be noticeable at all.

Mountain on other hand could be the case! I remember renting little C2 in Tenerife and we decided to visit some sightseeing places little bit more towards the centre of the island (meaning going to mountains)... I didn't make much inland, the mountains just got so steep that tiny car could not get-up to them even redlining in second gear.

What I am saying - if you have steep inclines they will hurt your economy a lot.

2 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

I believe it is due to AC constantly on + audio and especially the hills here. Even in the city there are areas at sea level and areas 300 m above. Engine is running constant when going up and as soon as it goes down again 8 bars in hybrid battery are full and then there is no more space for power in there when braking. If crawling and annoying the other drivers on the road I can get it down to 6 l / 100km. Driving normal it is 7.7 and if going in the mountains 8. And at service less than 1000 km ago I was told that everything is perfect.

AC in hot weather will increase consumption but in my experience only about 5% on a decent journey - maybe a bit more for around town. As for hills then if the Battery is regularly full going downhill then that would impact consumption too, however I like hill walking and had 3 weeks in the Lake District last year and over that time despite regular up and downhill runs  consumption was not much different to my local area in the south of the UK which is relatively flat. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Ac would have minimal impact, maybe little bit in CT200h, but even then only if you stationary - just my guess but in stationary car it maybe going to be 5% more, but when you driving ... maybe 1%. Don't quote me on these number, I am just saying AC will have very small impact to consumption, audio wouldn't be noticeable at all.

Mountain on other hand could be the case! I remember renting little C2 in Tenerife and we decided to visit some sightseeing places little bit more towards the centre of the island (meaning going to mountains)... I didn't make much inland, the mountains just got so steep that tiny car could not get-up to them even redlining in second gear.

What I am saying - if you have steep inclines they will hurt your economy a lot.

See above - in my IS 300h hills don't seem have a big impact on overall consumption but in the smaller engine CT200 could have a bigger impact I guess. 

4 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

See below - in my IS 300h hills don't seem have a big impact on overall consumption but in the smaller engine CT200 could have a bigger impact I guess. 

+ it depends on the hills themselves. As I said in Canary island there are areas with quite steep hills. In other hand - you right if you came-up, you must come down, meaning that particularly in hybrid energy lost going-up can be captured when going down. Although some people don't take advantage of this and just brake down the hill, instead of allowing regenerative braking to do it's thing. The only problem I can see with this - if downhill road is very steep and twisty, then Lexus regenerative braking is not aggressive enough to go down without braking.

11 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

+ it depends on the hills themselves. As I said in Canary island there are areas with quite steep hills. In other hand - you right if you came-up, you must come down, meaning that particularly in hybrid energy lost going-up can be captured when going down. Although some people don't take advantage of this and just brake down the hill, instead of allowing regenerative braking to do it's thing. The only problem I can see with this - if downhill road is very steep and twisty, then Lexus regenerative braking is not aggressive enough to go down without braking.

Yes lots of steep hills requiring a lot of mechanical brake use on the way down would indeed move the balance to higher consumption - in the Lake District (and most of the UK I have driven in) other than a few well known steep sections I have found that with forward planning and judicious use of the brakes a lot of the downhill can be done with regeneration and not so much mechanical brakes keeping the energy used going up and energy harvested coming down more balanced. 

7 hours ago, Linas.P said:

+ it depends on the hills themselves. As I said in Canary island there are areas with quite steep hills. In other hand - you right if you came-up, you must come down, meaning that particularly in hybrid energy lost going-up can be captured when going down.

Hi Linas,

CT has no problems climbing, but engine is running (not nearly as noisy as I read in some reviews of the car) and yes when sitting waiting in the car while wife is in a shop (many places accept only one person at the time) I keep AC running. It may be winter, but sun is shining.

Still no problem at all. First car I can sit in having decent temperature here while parked.

When all 8 bars are full no more room for power in the hybrid Battery. When going down longer tours I place gear selector in B. Slows down quite good.

• Like 1

Actually I forgotten that having AC on CT prevents engine from shutting off, so yes it may have impact. As well if you waiting with engine on for long time it will obviously impact your mileage figures. It is not like it uses a lot of fuel, it is just that you not moving at all and that gives inflated consumption figures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Actually I forgotten that having AC on CT prevents engine from shutting off, so yes it may have impact. As well if you waiting with engine on for long time it will obviously impact your mileage figures. It is not like it uses a lot of fuel, it is just that you not moving at all and that gives inflated consumption figures.

That is what I thought and if somebody (not you) think that I am not happy with the car. Completely wrong.

The car I am most happy with.

Also loved the Smart Roadster Coupé (go-kart for 2 people), Toyota MR2 cabriolet (almost a go-kart) very old Opel GT (nur fliegen ist schöner), even older MB 300SEL 6.3L (air suspension and org. Würtzelholz (not plastic) inside) complete luxury.

Cars I did not like: Toyota Supra 3L with removable roof (engine problems, yellow light, when driving faster than 160 km/h; Toyota could not solve it on a brand-new car), Peugeot 106 Rally (rear ventilation windows closing when driving faster than 30 km/h plus constant different error lamps caused by various ground connections that were not made to a cold climate), old MB 230G off-roader (military vehicle in Denmark) stupid fuses that were disconnecting when driving fast in rough terrain.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:15 AM, Linas.P said:

Have had AC turned off the last 2 days and from 7.8 consume has come down to 6.7 L / 100 km. In a month or 2 it will be too hot here for not having AC on so I accept the extra in order to be comfortable.

Windows and sunroof a bit open have given enough ventilation to make it OK. Have Llumar UV protection in all windows, also in sunroof, and that is reducing heating effect from the sun: https://w3.llumar.com/skinprotection/index.html

Funny that no cars have UV protection in other windows than the windshield. MB, Toyota, VW - all the same: 100% protection in windshield and no more than the protection that is in clear glass in any other. We have damaged the protection that naturally was in the atmosphere with our pollution and still no car factory is reacting to protect their customers. Many truckdrivers have skin cancer in the US coming from the left arm that is near the window (if UK had sunshine it would have been in the right arm there 😷) and even though the trucks have AC with pollen filters and all other kind of fine equipment UV protection is something that has to be bought extra.

That's interesting. 6.7 l/100km (42 mpg) is not far off a typical year-round average of around 6.4-6.5 (44 mpg).

When the weather starts to get hot, maybe you can do an update on the effect on fuel consumption. In the UK, particularly when it's mild weather, you can hear the electric driven compressor running in short spurts. Maybe it will run continuously in genuinely hot weather. Even if the outside temperature isn't that high (30?) the intensity of the sun on a metal cabin is probably going to need a lot of cooling!

On 2/20/2021 at 8:10 PM, Digifant said:

Hi everyone,

What's yours IS300H fuel consumption?

I have my IS for about a year. now it has 30k miles on the clock. and I'm worried about the fuel consumption. manufacturer's data says it should be about 60-64mpg, but in fact it's not even close.

Manufacturer's data and politicians promises.

Nobody believe them.

1 hour ago, Thackeray said:

That's interesting. 6.7 l/100km (42 mpg) is not far off a typical year-round average of around 6.4-6.5 (44 mpg).

When the weather starts to get hot, maybe you can do an update on the effect on fuel consumption. In the UK, particularly when it's mild weather, you can hear the electric driven compressor running in short spurts. Maybe it will run continuously in genuinely hot weather. Even if the outside temperature isn't that high (30?) the intensity of the sun on a metal cabin is probably going to need a lot of cooling!

Winter here is similar to sommer in UK

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links