Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cold Engine strange noise

earthlover

Hi All, 
I recently changed the spark plugs and soon after that, I started to hear a strange noise, when engine is cold started (video attached). As part of worrying noise, during the time I hear noise, front wheels shake/vibrate, looks like gearbox is putting pressure on them, but not enough to move.

Note: during filming, break parking pedal depressed; car in parking mode.

About car:
2012 Lexus CT200h SE-I Premier, 179000 miles 
Have anyone had similar issues, and any suggestions are really appreciated.
Thank you.

• Sad 1

As I understand it, when the car is in Park, MG2 applies a small amount of counter-torque to the drive wheels to keep the car stationary. This is because the engine is applying torque to the drive wheels and the car might begin to move if nothing was done to keep the car still. So MG2 applies counter-torque to stop the car moving.

If the engine is misfiring (I can't play the video to hear the sound - not sure why) then there would be spurts of engine torque to the drive wheels, countered by spurts of torque from the electric motor (MG2) to keep the car still. The effect might well be the shaking you see on the front wheels.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

If the car is in P there will be a transmission pawl locked and stopping the car from moving.

This is true. However, there's quite a lot of play in the parking pawl. So when the engine is running smoothly I think there is a small amount of counter-torque applied to the drive wheels by MG2 so that the transmission isn't even pushed up against the parking pawl. You can feel the transmission clunk and the car rock slightly if it does hit the parking pawl.

48 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

This is true. However, there's quite a lot of play in the parking pawl. So when the engine is running smoothly I think there is a small amount of counter-torque applied to the drive wheels by MG2 so that the transmission isn't even pushed up against the parking pawl. You can feel the transmission clunk and the car rock slightly if it does hit the parking pawl.

Guys ...he replaced the plugs ............... then this behaviour starts .................. check plugs and wiring to coils etc ....................simples !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think until he eliminates the plugs and coils from the equation it is not necessary to complicate matters . It s definitely a misfire on one or more cylinders . 

none of the lights are one, just regular "ready" sign, and other, lights as on any usual day.
Plugs - The old plugs were Denso, purchased @eurocarparts plate linked NGK (408992420) ones. When Fitted NGK. 
So when this drama turned up, I've  plugged in OBD2, it didn't show any errors at all. My first thought @that time was a misfire, obd2 proofed as false alert. I must admit with new plugs the consumption when up (was: 42mpg; with new plugs: 35.3mpg). 
So after realising the consumption is definitely higher (worked out on 4-5 tanks), I decided to fit the old plugs back (frankly didn't get rid of them). Straight away consumption got back to the pleasant numbers 🙂
Will plug in OBD tonight again, and will post you.
I've been advised that it could be of the going  head gasket, hence all that noise is somehow related to the point of oil mixing with petrol, what sounds quite unusual, as one of the head gasket symptoms, would be high temperatures in cooling system, which isn't an issue at all.
thanks for your texts.
vlad

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links