Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300h Advance audio

1 hour ago, Alex34 said:

So what about 2017 onwards?

I'm trying to figure out if a simple active sub will make much of a difference rather than adding extra speakers to the rear. 

The same. The only change between the 8 and 10 speaker system is the two front dashboard speakers become dual cone and therefore each one counts as two. The front and rear door speakers remain the same.

Given that the only speaker difference between the 6 and 8 systems is the addition of the centre dashboard speaker and the rear sub, I think it is the pioneer headunit  and all the speakers being being driven by an external amp that contribute more to the improved sound quality.

An active sub is probably the best place to start - just not sure how easy it will be to get a feed to it as the 6 speaker headunit doesn't have a sub out, and I'm not sure it has a line out either.

5 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

An active sub is probably the best place to start - just not sure how easy it will be to get a feed to it as the 6 speaker headunit doesn't have a sub out, and I'm not sure it has a line out either.

Assuming you are right about both head units being Pioneer, then it seems logical there must be something for sub. Or at least there should be a way to tap-in or adapter. Because is head unit has not changed between the systems and Premium one has sub, then there must be a way.

Obviously as you said Premium system has dedicated amp and that is how it drives the sub, but in that case adding additional sub-amp should not be any different than Lexus adding amp for everything.

4 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Assuming you are right about both head units being Pioneer, then it seems logical there must be something for sub.

You misunderstood me. The 8 speaker system improvement is because it has a Pioneer head unit, not the Fujitsu-Ten unit the 6 speaker system has. It also has the external amp.

The Pioneer headunit only has line out as the external amp drives all the speakers.

ok. In either case there should be a way to pick-up the signal, only that it won't be marked "like-out or sub" and may require getting adapter or tapping into wiring. I would always advice getting adapter or making one, rather than messing-up with factory loom. 

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

ok. In either case there should be a way to pick-up the signal, only that it won't be marked "like-out or sub" and may require getting adapter or tapping into wiring. I would always advice getting adapter or making one, rather than messing-up with factory loom. 

Yes, you will need an amp that accepts speaker level inputs or use line-out convertors. I'd probably take feeds away from the rear doors into the amp, and run the sub and rear speakers from the amp. I'm assuming that the headunit doesn't filter out low frequencies to the door speakers so the amp will get a full frequency signal - I see no reason why they would have gone to those lengths.

No they don't filter the frequencies, that is why I suggested retrofitting aftermarket filter/crossover. If you play very bassy song on standard system it just sounds terrible as all frequencies are sent to all speakers and probably only the the tweeters have a filter. Overall, I think frequency filters/crossover controls are really fitted into mid-range amps or built-in head units. This is kind of feature of high end systems. But in other hand - what is the point, most high-end component speakers usually comes with their own crossover and all decent coaxials have them built-in.

High level input is an option, but I hope there is a better way, because rear speaker would have it split into L/R already and that is not ideal.

On 2/27/2021 at 6:15 PM, ColinBarber said:

The same. The only change between the 8 and 10 speaker system is the two front dashboard speakers become dual cone and therefore each one counts as two. The front and rear door speakers remain the same.

Given that the only speaker difference between the 6 and 8 systems is the addition of the centre dashboard speaker and the rear sub, I think it is the pioneer headunit  and all the speakers being being driven by an external amp that contribute more to the improved sound quality.

Will use a high level active sub that can use a feed from the existing speaker wire. 

Gonna do some more research and see what I can come up with.

On 2/27/2021 at 6:08 PM, Linas.P said:

Adding simple active-sub would definitely improve things as main weakness of the system is no base at all (besides being overall underpowered), but it would not be perfect. Sadly, on standard system crossover is poor, because instead of focusing on mid-range and treble system tries to cover full range without dedicated sub-woofer. Meaning that once you go past ~ 60% of sound speakers just starts making terrible noise and blurring over frequencies.

I am not expert, but maybe adding active sub-woofer and retrofitting crossovers/filters to existing speakers would be decent solution e.g. that woofers in the doors would not even attempt any frequencies below say 500Hz and then each speaker could do it's own "role".

Actually, just seen this and thought you may be interested if looking for compact-active sub - something like this (not necessarily this particular, but overall form-factor):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIBE-OPTISOUND-SUBWOOFER-SLIMLINE-ENCLOSURE/dp/B00DSNBWS0/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=vibe+active&qid=1614448730&sr=8-4

I doubt it would fit under the seat in IS, but it is compact and as well if you not planning to add additional speakers this is just the right power - 600w sub would be waste as it would overpower 80W speakers very quickly and you would need to set-it to 25% power anyway.

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a small 8" active sub. Something that wouldn't overpower everything else.

• 1 year later...

Good day guys, need some advise. On the IS300H which I just bought.

I went into an audio shop and was told that by changing the speakers they can plug in a computer to tune our sound system. Is there such things? My headunit is on stock. Please advise as my knowledge is we need to have at least a DSP.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 1:22 PM, Alex34 said:

Recently purchased a 67 plate IS300h so still very much learning the car at this stage.

Whilst configuring my audio settings I noticed that the rear speakers are very week when compared to the front speakers. I noticed there is a circular impression in the rear deck grill as if there is a speaker in there but no sound comes out. I can only hear sound coming from the speakers in the rear doors. Is this standard setup for the IS300h audio or is there something wrong with my audio?

I noticed there is nothing in the setup menu referring to any subwoofer either so I take it there is none?

Thanks for any help.

This is a very old one, however I will try to give my 2 cents here... 

Your problem seems to be the intermittent issue (turned permanent, in your case) with the rear shelf woofer not working. 

There are 2 ways about it - fit an aftermarket one in your boot, if you're either unlucky or not handy with any tools whatsoever. Or, as in most cases - take the seat out, remove the card covering it, unscrew 4 M10 bolts and unclip the speaker. Solder in whatever rudementary and crude way you see fit or desire 2x 16 gauge cables between the connectors and the speaker (will upload a picture later) etc voila - problem solved! 

It turns out that's the Achilies's heel of the ML sound system, in 99% of the cases. 

I promise mine doesn't look nice or neat but works perfectly fine. Took me all in all 15 minutes, excluding a 2 minute YouTube clip. (Will add credits to the source later on as well.) 

And that, concludes that - My 2 cents! 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KamD said:

This is a very old one, however I will try to give my 2 cents here... 

Your problem seems to be the intermittent issue (turned permanent, in your case) with the rear shelf woofer not working. 

There are 2 ways about it - fit an aftermarket one in your boot, if you're either unlucky or not handy with any tools whatsoever. Or, as in most cases - take the seat out, remove the card covering it, unscrew 4 M10 bolts and unclip the speaker. Solder in whatever rudementary and crude way you see fit or desire 2x 16 gauge cables between the connectors and the speaker (will upload a picture later) etc voila - problem solved! 

It turns out that's the Achilies's heel of the ML sound system, in 99% of the cases. 

I promise mine doesn't look nice or neat but works perfectly fine. Took me all in all 15 minutes, excluding a 2 minute YouTube clip. (Will add credits to the source later on as well.) 

And that, concludes that - My 2 cents! 

Thanks kam D your advise does helps. Hope to see the image attach.

4 hours ago, Mavick said:

Thanks kam D your advise does helps. Hope to see the image attach.

In essence that's what it looks like... and all it takes to get it working. Just be mindful of how high you set the soldering iron on... Don't punch a hole in it, it'll be a replacement speaker from there on. 

20220509_170206.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2021 at 9:39 AM, Linas.P said:

That is true only for pre-facelift cars, facelift cars (with wide-screen Sat-nav) all have square pad now.

Lexus counts coaxials like components 🙂 So it is "10 speakers system", but I believe you are right regarding there being only 8 actual locations... Aside from counting speakers incorrectly "Premium" it is actually decent system and to be fair in my experience just as good as Mark Levinson. 

apologies for resurrecting an old thread, trying to establish what spec is fitted to a car I'm considering purchasing. The one in question is an 18 plate Advance, but has a rotary adjuster for the ICE system. I'm unsure whether this means that it's a pre FL car, and therefore has the crappy audio system?

56 minutes ago, Stever750 said:

apologies for resurrecting an old thread, trying to establish what spec is fitted to a car I'm considering purchasing. The one in question is an 18 plate Advance, but has a rotary adjuster for the ICE system. I'm unsure whether this means that it's a pre FL car, and therefore has the crappy audio system?

Yes - pre-FL rotary dial always means the basic audio.

Basically if it looks like that then run away:

image.png.d0c1f6937a21f61566d410fc7e94af54.png

44 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Yes - pre-FL rotary dial always means the basic audio.

Basically if it looks like that then run away:

image.png.d0c1f6937a21f61566d410fc7e94af54.png

B*gger, that's exactly what it looks like. That's the 2nd vehicle I've had to walk away from in a week! Presumably then, FL versions have the joystick thing whatever the audio spec?

Have you actually listend to the standard radio? Linas is well known for hating it but I can’t tell the difference between the standard IS radio to the ML system in my UX. 

1 minute ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Have you actually listend to the standard radio? Linas is well known for hating it but I can’t tell the difference between the standard IS radio to the ML system in my UX. 

Briefly for about 30s after the test drive. It sounded OK, but I didn't test it properly. Bear in mind I am a registered audiofool in other hobbies, that said i don't listen to music that much when driving, usually just R4 and R6 occasionally. I'm under no illusion that the ML system is nothing like the real domestic audio kit they make. However, a rattling cardboard box sounds is reminiscent of my first Alfasud back in the 80s, where screaming was more hifi....

24 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

It is semi-objective thought. IS250 standard 13 speaker system that was fitted for free is literally another planet from the horrible standard system in car that is generation newer.

Granted - if listening to the radio it will be just fine, but otherwise it is one of the worst audio systems I have ever listened to. Similarly, I recently rented brand new RAV4 abroad (2023 model) and it was obviously base trim... so audio there sounds exactly the same like 6-speaker audio in IS300h (and at least at first glance it seems like it is also 6 speakers). But whereas I can't complain about it in rental car which was only 86 Euros for 6 days and obviously poverty trim, it is very disappointing to have it in supposedly luxury car. And also in perspective of rather brilliant standard system in the previous generation.