Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service advice please

Hi Guys, 

Quick question for you if you don't mind, my RX450h is in Lexus now for a service. They say the brake cable needs tightening at a cost of £108, isn't something like this included in the service?

thanks

h

Foot-break maybe? 

( I would expect there to be an extra labour cost, but not unreasonable for them to clarify to you, what and why and how necessary... )

13 minutes ago, PCM said:

Foot-break maybe? 

( I would expect there to be an extra labour cost, but not unreasonable for them to clarify to you, what and why and how necessary... )

Yes sorry the foot brake, they just said it’s not as it should be. Never mentioned dangerous etc. It is a simple job? I’m assuming a quick tighten and can’t see why it’s so much. Thanks 👍🏻 

14 minutes ago, PCM said:

Foot-break maybe? 

Inspect, identify, consider action, select appropriate action, implement, inspect, yeah, seems cheap at £108 !

• Like 1

One can only judge whether the price is reasonable when you know the extent of the work and the reasonable time it would take to do the job.  I have not adjusted a cable where the leverage is applied by foot rather than by hand but otherwise think the principle is the same.  On most cars where I have done this it's fairly easy to get to the adjusting nuts beneath the car or by removing a small section of consul within the car beneath which the adjusting nuts are located.  However, the problem is not always entirely one of a stretched cable.  Sometimes where service braking is achieved by friction material on shoes within the hat of the discs there is often a self adjusting mechanism that doesn't always work well or gets partially seized, so tightening the cable may not be all that is needed.  In these circumstances it may be necessary to free off, clean and adjust this mechanism and only then take up the slack on the cable.  Should this be necessary, it will add to the time to ensure a proper actuation of the service brake.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

One can only judge whether the price is reasonable when you know the extent of the work and the reasonable time it would take to do the job.  I have not adjusted a cable where the leverage is applied by foot rather than by hand but otherwise think the principle is the same.  On most cars where I have done this it's fairly easy to get to the adjusting nuts beneath the car or by removing a small section of consul within the car beneath which the adjusting nuts are located.  However, the problem is not always entirely one of a stretched cable.  Sometimes where service braking is achieved by friction material on shoes within the hat of the discs there is often a self adjusting mechanism that doesn't always work well or gets partially seized, so tightening the cable may not be all that is needed.  In these circumstances it may be necessary to free off, clean and adjust this mechanism and only then take up the slack on the cable.  Should this be necessary, it will add to the time to ensure a proper actuation of the service brake.

http://email.citnow.com/ls/click?upn=BWUvuYB4TsDJn-2BSq1YsKN-2BqKUWmM8UBE-2FstXmHTEUYzAisAz3OA7jYeQ2gtq1U-2FXmFK__YdfROyPHfFazAeoIOUtGDiNNMiwEnURXvN50hnUWE7NbdOwCVg64r-2F9YSxwJyFPbcPriK5rsHW5Qgmhi-2FxJJl04y-2BfNagLfIgNOXKIyTa090ECOvG8qtR7Ql4hLm6bqCJ1ZUXtm8ONAtcOH2kf5Pb77H3uRf8hPjnWhOqxCBvUFn2Ilt7K4K3YRwTKPl49rvh19nArb2zlCkKO4PmEIl1NjrOjcQ8Oy6K8Cd6Y9HRj3hm3d-2Fi4DiBreWIq7wNsyQhrx-2Fu-2Fv9AsJW7OWT41-2FcPEVTGEWsqvmQ1OwVMaLT4gtPOM6fjgTjSnc0BSF3dB7cGyNWI00Sv7ObXOoDA4nDZQQBJXOhv8HBivKVFSo9yPAkTPCQRaDtZzYD2CqPI-2B2kLqE72D-2BFKq3GVaQMiKdpe4OMhX-2FIWFdU2NDPBYg-2FjYw-3D

this is the link with the details, thanks 👍🏻

• Like 1

Lexus labour rates are high and so are some of their parts (whilst some others are reasonably priced).  If you have neither the confidence  nor the inclination to do the work suggested by Lexus, you could get it done by a well recommended mechanic or garage at less cost.  If they can machine the worn disks and still keep them within spec this might also be worth investigating.  It would be advisable to fit new OE quality pads at the same time and otherwise new OE quality disks and pads which whoever does the job could fit.  The service brake could be sorted out at the same time.  Timing of work could be influenced by date MOT is due.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Lexus labour rates are high and so are some of their parts (whilst some others are reasonably priced).  If you have neither the confidence  nor the inclination to do the work suggested by Lexus, you could get it done by a well recommended mechanic or garage at less cost.  If they can machine the worn disks and still keep them within spec this might also be worth investigating.  It would be advisable to fit new OE quality pads at the same time and otherwise new OE quality disks and pads which whoever does the job could fit.  The service brake could be sorted out at the same time.  Timing of work could be influenced by date MOT is due.

Thanks mate, I had it done in the end. To be fair the foot brake is a lot tighter. Yes I’ll look at that, also Lexus parts direct has a brake set on sale for £139.20 so seems a bargain there.

Major service last week Lexus Leeds, the handbrake was adjusted foc. When I did mine 2 years ago,The rear discs were £90 from Andrew page and £22 for the pads off eurocar parts.   Bought a seals kit off eBay for the pin boots and serviced them my self, the pins were cleaned and re greased no issues. Don’t bleed the brakes yourself without a tech stream or it will be a expensive trip to Lexus as you use the abs pump to bleed. Lexus did £109 to fit me a new heat shield on rear exhaust. Put a self tapper and washer on for 20p so saved a bit there.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links