Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS F Sport 500

11 minutes ago, dman2004 said:

https://www.lexus.com/IS500/

Love the aggressive look, but it feels like they've used RCF parts with a new body kit.

472hp
395 lb.-ft torque
0-60 in 4.5s

The same 8 speed gearbox from previous units, it seems.

Can't wait for the LCF and LSF if they make it.

Really want this to come to the UK now!!!

Like it. Seats look fantastic. 
Interesting to see that Lexus have remained with the RCF / GSF 5 litre v8. Instead of downsizing the lump sticking a couple of turbos on it and a hybrid motor.

Time will tell if it’s imported into the Uk. 
Size and power wise it’s on par (maybe slightly under) with the new M3 and C63. 
As it’s not branded as a “F” maybe they’ll price it a little cheaper and target the M340 / C43 / S4 segment

That is bizarre, so not only they basically made IS-F for the car they stopped selling in Europe and which is generally considered niche and EOL model, but as well they dropped "F" branding?!

I guess this is so they could sell it for much cheaper without depreciating RC-F... but how that is relevant? both RC-F and GS-F are EOL models. I guess this simply means not more "F" models? 

Similar to what Tim said - just speculation, but maybe they realised going after M4/M3 they never going to win, so better to have best offer compared to M440i/M340i and similar MBs, Audis.

This actually would make sense in line-up - there is not LC-F, just LC 500.

The interior looks cheaper in terms of seats etc than the RCF / GSF meaning it probably will be marked for a lower price point in the market. 

Love the new gauge cluster and the fact they have stuck with the NA V8. 

And the sentence "The first car in our new F Sport performance line" gets me excited... 😂😅

I can't say I want to trade in my ISF for one. I'm a bit disappointed with it, Its a shame they didn't use the 10 speed gearbox out of the LC as well as the steering wheel. The engine bay looks neater though and I can see adjustable dampers in engine bay pictures.

I understand looks are subjective but I prefer the ISF rear end and I'm not a fan of modern cars having the shutline between the bumper and bonnet set so far back into the car.

it's also heavier than the old ISF

I'd like to have a go in one though don't get me wrong, but not a good enough effort to swap for me. I'm wondering If they do a new ISF, it may be V6TT.

I really struggling to understand what Lexus is doing in last decade - they are clearly lost.

Like why kill IS-F for mk3, just to bring it back as mk~3.5'ish and call it IS500 (btw IS500 was original name for IS-F)... why kill RC-F and GS-F and bring in IS-F (basically). It is just so bizarre.. Why make IS replacement and not sell it in Europe.. at all... 

And what is with that sound - it does not sound like V8... I would argue it almost sounds like V12 or something... I mean I like the sound but it just sounds not-natural for that engine.

• Like 2

Just to add - I just watched now first real review (as far as I know this is the first real review, with real car):

And again, just bizarre. They didn't go for big mainstream show, or channel or well know auto journalist. They went with youtube channel which is mostly attracts younger people. This would indicate they want to appeal to younger buyer, but at the same time IS500 is not the car you can sell to young buyer... it is just so confusing!

And if you watch review even Donut does not know what to say about it.. why it exists etc.. and quite surpassingly the comparison with IS-F is minimal. I don't want to make any conspiracy theories, but maybe Lexus instructed them not to compare it like successor of IS-F?! Because Donut clearly know about IS-F - so their inability to connect 2 obvious dots is surprising to say the least.

At least engine now sounds as I would expect in this video - it must be just a fluke on the video on Lexus own page.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cactus said:

Supercharged v8 would be interesting..

Now that would make me contemplate upgrading the GSF 😅or the v10 piston engine... Get me close to that LFA note 🤤

36 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Complete shame they’ve stuck the old V8 in it. 

I think that is the only part which makes sense... that is proven engine, with all development costs long recouped, meaning it is dirt cheap to produce as far as Lexus is concerned. Because it is no longer competitive with M4 or C63 or whatever other rivals, they just took it down the notch and instead of making top-off the line called it 500.

The only question here is the price - if they price it between IS350 and what IS-F used to cost, then it may be interesting option (that works out ~$55000)

Still that does not explain why and why now?!

10 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I think that is the only part which makes sense... that is proven engine, with all development costs long recouped, meaning it is dirt cheap to produce as far as Lexus is concerned. Because it is no longer competitive with M4 or C63 or whatever other rivals, they just took it down the notch and instead of making top-off the line called it 500.

The only question here is the price - if they price it between IS350 and what IS-F used to cost, then it may be interesting option (that works out ~$55000)

I understand that it makes financial sense not to develop a new engine.

All I can think is that Lexus have been listening to all the hype about naturally aspirated engines and hope people will buy more me of the last NA V8s.

I’d save the cash and buy an RC-F

20 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

I understand that it makes financial sense not to develop a new engine.

All I can think is that Lexus have been listening to all the hype about naturally aspirated engines and hope people will buy more me of the last NA V8s.

I’d save the cash and buy an RC-F

And when Lexus develops the engines it is quite often ****.. take for example disgrace I have fitted to my RC... they spent years developing it and what is the result. Fuel consumption almost like RC-F, the power is more like IS250... what was wrong to simply discount RC350 a little bit - more fuel efficient and much faster car.

I understand you cannot price 5l V8 with 470hp, same as 4L V8 TT with 650hp, that is true. But I don't see issue buying NA cars - as long as price is right.

Finally, this is bizarre part I would agree with you if GS-F and RC-F would still be current cars or if Lexus would plan releasing next generations, but RC-F is basically EOL. Yes they may still make final orders in 2021, maybe 2022. But the model is ending, there won't be RC mk2. So you will either have to get this... or LC.  

17 minutes ago, Cactus said:

This car would make sense if it comes with a manual gearbox 

Be careful Lexus may be listening and may take you on your suggestion and sell exactly 1 car. Nowadays is hard to predict them as they line-up totally makes no sense. 

I would not want say... "what next Lexus- manual"?! And then see Lexus bringing back diesel with manual only option!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

As it is not positioned as F it is not meant to go head on with M 3/4?  I dont know the USA pricing but if this is able to compete with Audi S4, BMW M340, mercedes AMG C43 it starts to make more sense?

1 minute ago, dutchie01 said:

As it is not positioned as F it is not meant to go head on with M 3/4?  I dont know the USA pricing but if this is able to compete with Audi S4, BMW M340, mercedes AMG C43 it starts to make more sense?

Well.. that is kind of what I said - if it is priced between IS350 and IS-F (or RC-F) then it works out ~$52-55k. Exactly where S5 (4-door) and M340i sits, but with it's V8 and reliability it spanks both.

9 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Well.. that is kind of what I said - if it is priced between IS350 and IS-F (or RC-F) then it works out ~$52-55k. Exactly where S5 (4-door) and M340i sits, but with it's V8 and reliability it spanks both.

Performance wise, it will spank neither

24 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

And when Lexus develops the engines it is quite often ****.. take for example disgrace I have fitted to my RC... they spent years developing it and what is the result. Fuel consumption almost like RC-F, the power is more like IS250... what was wrong to simply discount RC350 a little bit - more fuel efficient and much faster car.

I see that you are still upset with your rc 😂

i am with you on the 350 line up. I wouldnt mind an awd is350 especially when my f was spinning the rear wheels on my drive with all the ice and snow as of last week

barry

6 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Performance wise, it will spank neither

It is kind of on par. RWD M340i is 4.4s, S5 is 4.3s... 

So it isn't like it's on another planet, yes right - technically 3l turbo are faster cars and with little chip tuning you can get another 0.5s off. With NA you get what you get. Probably this is where the engine shows it's age - how does BMW and Audi get's these times with 380HP, when Lexus needs all 470 to get there... 

In other hand we have RC-F Track edition, still same engine, same gearbox and it just had launch control, suddenly it is 3.9s

Not sure... I have mixed feeling about this car, mostly I do not understand why it exists. Depending on the price I still think it would be nice car and I would have comparable NA engine any day over turbo. I would have engine from IS250 now rather than this trashy 2.0t as it is completely undrivable. 

Ka - yes still salty, but I may get rid of it soon, will see how it goes. As well as you pointing out... why Lexus does not offer AWDs here? I used to own IS250 AWD... I would not say I liked it, but I just don't understand why they introduce artificial limits on themselves? Like who does that and what are they trying to achieve? 

7 hours ago, Fair and square said:

Heaven behold, see the below

www.motor1.com/news/489896/2022-lexus-is-500-explainer/amp/

So if this article is true, then maybe the "F range" is about to up its game more than what we are currently used to.

Interesting. I'm hoping for a smaller capacity forced induction. Maybe they'll go the NSX hybrid route.

12 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Interesting. I'm hoping for a smaller capacity forced induction. Maybe they'll go the NSX hybrid route.

What abt i8 plug in hybrid style with the toyota 3 cylinder engine?

• Like 1