Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oh the joy of owning an is220d, not !!!

Well just to add to my electrical problems I have now got engine trouble, after a bit of running about and a trip to an auto electrician I got home to hear a disturbing bubbling and gurgling noise , I popped the bonnet to find greyish Brown gooey stuff sprayed out of the header tank overflow.

I took the cap off to find the header tank full of it. Has anyone had this ? Is it head gasket or could it be oil cooler ,  I've started researching but would be very greatful of any help or advice,  I'm at the end of my tether with it.

Thanks in advance

Trev 

Typical major head gasket failure sign whereby the isolation between oil passage system and cooling system is lost and oil and water ( coolant ) get combined in an ugly emulsion of brown goo. If there is any pressure behind this goo then the combustion system is playing a part it the demise also!

2 minutes ago, nicnac said:

Now now Linas .......behave yourself !!!or ill have to correct you .........................again !LOL

... what a shame Lexus made it and sold it banking on their reliable brand recognition.... 😁

On 2/23/2021 at 10:46 PM, Linas.P said:

... what a shame Lexus made it and sold it banking on their reliable brand recognition.... 😁

The engine is a big pile of poo! Who thought the gearbox and engine were a good combo! Terrible turbo lag and a 6th gear that's not very usable unless speeding! As you can see I didn't like these things with my IS 220D. Wasn't sad when I scrapped it. Shame really as body/rest of it was good. Liked comfort, safety, build quality but the engine a disaster. Mpg rubbish. 33-36mpg. Scrapped after 19 months as head gasket went. Big miles for a 220D, of 187,000 when scrapped.

Like Lexus as a brand, wish they did an estate. Replaced it with a 2015 Auris Hybrid Touring Sport.

James.

Lexus.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, you absolutely right - but there are still loads of DERV apologists who comes here from time to time and makes bold claims that IS220d is actually better than IS250... 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Yes, you absolutely right - but there are still loads of DERV apologists who comes here from time to time and makes bold claims that IS220d is actually better than IS250... 

What have they been smoking? Or breathing in the smoke out the rear of an IS220D😃

• Haha 3

Probably later, especially after their chip-tuning their engines to "240hp" I am sure soot is plentiful not only behind the car but in the cabin as well. 

• Haha 1

I remember wanting a is200d as my 1st diesel. It was about a year after when the is220d came out. Reviews on the 200 were quite mixed especially about the useless 6th gear and economy not overly good. Reviews on the 220 were surprisingly negative. So I went for the MG ZT diesel with the bullet proof beamer engine but a better turbo. Yes I fitted the RonBox which was made specifically for that engine. And oh yes on its highest setting and flooring it it produced a glorious black cloud behind me lol. 

Just thought I'd say that. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Welcome to the life of the is220d owner.

I had one of these from 2015 until 2020. Pros the car looks good nice place to sit and comfortable seat. And not a bad looking car.

the cons this where I could list a long list.

the engine 2.2 diesel never survived the transition from front wheel to rear wheel drive.

secondly the engine suffers with terrible EGR issues or carbon related issues. Which in tune can cause a loss of power. 

it spent more time with the mechanic then driving come through end. If anyone wants a Lexus buy the original is200 or the is250. 

best thing I ever did last year was get rid of it for a more reliable and economical car. These cars are money pits. Best avoided along by with the disappointment etc.  Best thing I ever did was trade it in last year. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I had an 08 plate is220d for 7 years and traded it couple months back. It had 137k on the clock when I finished with it. I was lucky it seems as the only issue I had was that the air con compressor went on it. I did use terraclean once and the rest  was just service and tires. 
i always used shell v power in it.

agree with the turbo lag and 6th gear being useless but over all was a good car to me.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, stormchaser said:

Are these the same engines they use in the Avensis diesel? you don,t hear alot about those failing.

I believe so however I think the gearing is better suited to it as I drove my brother in laws and his was a 2.2d on the same year and it had no problem getting into 6th gear 

• Like 1

Driving cars can be a pleasure, I had a Lexus IS250 and it was fantastic but a bit too refined for me and I got a Subaru Legacy SpecB and that over 5 years ago - which says how good the Subaru is, I need around 30k to find something I feel will be a decent replacement, anyway what I am trying to say driving cars can be amazing - get rid of your Is220d and buy something else - life is too short. I would not have a 220d for 1 day

• Like 1

Hello everyone, I am potentially going to be a proud owner of an IS and have been reading extensively on them. I have a ‘what if’ question. I don’t know much about cars so I’m sorry if it’s a dumb question.

since the 220d and the 200d have the same engine and the 200d solved a lot of the issues with the engine… could you remap a 220d down to a 200d? Or even… would remapping in general help some of the problems with a 220d? I’ve seen some decent 220d out there but i don’t want to buy a problem car.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, J8k1122 said:

Hello everyone, I am potentially going to be a proud owner of an IS and have been reading extensively on them. I have a ‘what if’ question. I don’t know much about cars so I’m sorry if it’s a dumb question.

since the 220d and the 200d have the same engine and the 200d solved a lot of the issues with the engine… could you remap a 220d down to a 200d? Or even… would remapping in general help some of the problems with a 220d? I’ve seen some decent 220d out there but i don’t want to buy a problem car.

I would say just stay clear of a diesel Lexus if I’m honest. I had a 220d and it was a good car but the MPG and 6th gear was not good. If I was to do it again I would of got a is250 or a first gen is200 again. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, J8k1122 said:

I guess you read nothing anyone else or myself said? sometimes why bother....

• Like 3

I've been very happy with my IS200d, but as everyone says here, steer well clear of the IS220d... they're not all bad, but why take the risk?

If it has to be diesel, then IS200d.... but worth spending a bit more for an IS250  (I wish I did !).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

I guess you read nothing anyone else or myself said? sometimes why bother....

Nothing of you had said in any forum has mentioned remapping down to 200d or even if it is possible.... It was a 'what if' question.... not something I wanted to be taken seriously.... 

16 hours ago, joelfigueira said:

I would say just stay clear of a diesel Lexus if I’m honest. I had a 220d and it was a good car but the MPG and 6th gear was not good. If I was to do it again I would of got a is250 or a first gen is200 again. 

yeah, it seem to be the way haha.  its what I will be doing. I only wondered. thank you for the reply.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, J8k1122 said:

yeah, it seem to be the way haha.  its what I will be doing. I only wondered. thank you for the reply.

I said this in a different post, but for the sake of cheaper tax, the diesels are just not worth it. This is not a german diesel and there is a reason why lexus only did one diesel - fiasco. IS250 / 4GR-FSE is such a smooth, reliable engine with reasonable MPGs. It'd be silly to go for a diesel. I get 43mpg on the motorway and 28-30 around town when driven sensibly. Never mind the running cost, it will work out a lot cheaper in the long run to own IS250 since you won't have to be replacing anything to do with the engine really. 

• Thanks 1

Do not know any having a Lexus diesel, but see many of them driving around and most of them look as if maintained well washed ans shiny. Used Lexus are plenty here, but not one single diesel. Have no idea why, but owners seem to keep them. We were happy with the Golf diesel except for the black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe after having been driving economic a long while.

Are the Lexus diesels really bad or is it just some that have not been maintained that are giving the Lexus diesels a bad name?

IMO, the Toyota diesel is pretty good, but it has seen some problems in early models ... from what I have heard elsewhere no different to the German brands.  I'm keeping my IS200d running as it is more cost effective than changing (given work from home). .. I have no complaints, no engine problems, no smoke, runs well ... it is a great car!

I think most of the discussion here is based on perception, as compared to the petrol it is clearly a worse option .... but I'd rather have my IS200d  than a 3 series, C class or Audi A4 anyday

1 hour ago, jumbojake said:

rather have my IS200d  than a 3 series, C class or Audi A4 anyday

But drive a decent 6 cylinder NA car and tell me you would prefer the 220d? 

2 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Are the Lexus diesels really bad or is it just some that have not been maintained that are giving the Lexus diesels a bad name?

I can only imagine people buy them as they got similar looks to the IS250 and for VED incentives but that is really where it ends, the D4D engine is not a good match for a car like a Lexus who pride themselves on refinement, terrible in fact

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links