Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hello and please help

I have the opportunity to privately buy a 2015 RC-f and will be looking at it next week.

I have looked on the net and read lots of the posts here, and this seems like the best place in the UK to get great opinions

what posts do you think I should read before buying.

What information must I get and what things must I check before I buy

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

My experience with Lexus is that they last as long as they are maintained properly. So past the standard car condition checks, something I would assume everyone would do to any used car, the next thing to check is service history. If history is not present or services are missing on car like RC-F there is something fishy.

If you give more details about the car e.g. mileage, then I am sure members around here can advise you what common wear items there are and what should have been changed according to service schedule.

For sure there are "performance car" specific things, which may look minor but may cost dearly and should be considered in negotiation e.g. set of tyres and brake discs and pads alone can set you back £2000+ So if those are worn it would be good idea to consider them when agreeing the price.

Other area for non-Lexus person is "optional" equipment, many sellers will try to amaze you with list of 200 features... except all that is standard. The only option were TVD, ACC/PCS and sunroof, you can count protection pack as well. For 2015 cars almost all had ML even thought it was technically optional. Apart of that everything else are standard.

Not sure what else to add to begin with, but I am sure there will be RC-F owners who can give you more details, some may even know that particular car (as they are not exactly common).

• Like 1

Buying privately is more risky than buying from a dealer. A 2015 I'm guessing is going to be a pretty hefty chunk of change. I would suggest getting a pre-purchase inspection and checking all the paperwork very carefully.

As mentioned, don't be shy give us some details 😉 there is a chance someone either knows the car, or has previously owned it! Also helps weed out any dodge ones that may exist 🙂 and also don't be afraid to ask any burning questions that may be on your mind, the forum in general is a chill place and people are out to help each other 😄

Re-iterating some above points, service history should be on point, otherwise yes something is a miss, there was an old fuel pump recall that you might just wanna check was done to the car by Lexus, tyre tread depth otherwise you are looking at some instand cash splurge to replace, discs and pads are only mega expensive if genuine Lexus, there are OEM suppliers outside of Lexus that can save you some serious monies.

Maybe see if you can arrange an inspection as it isn't coming from a dealer.

Definitely echo the 'know your options' as a lot of sellers tend not to have a clue about what are options and what are standard. You can get the list from Lexus themselves if you get the reg to them.

Hopefully all will go swimmingly and you'll be in the club in no time 😉

• Like 2

I bought my RCF privately. This is not something I would normally consider for such a high value car. However, I rang the Lexus dealer local to the seller and they confirmed that the car was known to them and had recently been serviced by them and that they would sell me a 2 year warranty without inspection. That way I could buy privately but with a dealer’s warranty.  And as advised above I was able to use the low tyre tread to knock some more off the asking price.

Good luck, these are great cars.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Legendliving said:

I bought my RCF privately. This is not something I would normally consider for such a high value car. However, I rang the Lexus dealer local to the seller and they confirmed that the car was known to them and had recently been serviced by them and that they would sell me a 2 year warranty without inspection. That way I could buy privately but with a dealer’s warranty.  And as advised above I was able to use the low tyre tread to knock some more off the asking price.

Good luck, these are great cars.

Lexus extended warranty is generally available as long as car is FLSH (less than 140k/10 years), if car is not FLSH then inspection may be needed. It isn't really that strange as there are quire a few companies offering breakdown-cover and warranty. I guess the difference is that Lexus extended warranty is one of the most comprehensive and not much more expensive (actually probably cheaper when it comes to "F" cars). As well it is provided by Lexus and my experience with them was amazing - you simply take car to dealership and they simply takes care of it (unless somehow part is not covered - wear items are obviously not).

The early cars (2015),of which mine is one, are coming up to six years old and although they are pretty bullet proof,like any car there is potential for something to go wrong and if it does the damage to your pocket will be commensurate with the £60k + new cost...these are not Ford Fiestas.

So there is no way that I would own one without getting the Lexus warranty.For 2 years at only £80 odd per month over the first year it’s cheap for what it is.

If you buy the warranty and at the same time are aware that you can afford the road tax,insurance,consumeables such as brakes, tyres at £800 a set,and of course fuel at 20mpg (or worse!) then you will not have much to fear and enjoy a great car.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, XK140 said:

The early cars (2015),of which mine is one, are coming up to six years old and although they are pretty bullet proof,like any car there is potential for something to go wrong and if it does the damage to your pocket will be commensurate with the £60k + new cost...these are not Ford Fiestas.

So there is no way that I would own one without getting the Lexus warranty.For 2 years at only £80 odd per month over the first year it’s cheap for what it is.

If you buy the warranty and at the same time are aware that you can afford the road tax,insurance,consumeables such as brakes, tyres at £800 a set,and of course fuel at 20mpg (or worse!) then you will not have much to fear and enjoy a great car.

Just to illustrate your point - my seat electric motor failed. £4200 paid by warranty... Imagine paying that yourself 🥶

As for MPG... don't worry, that fuel is at least turned into V8 symphony! Imagine my feeling when I have same consumption, just instead of symphony - 2l turbo rattle. 

27 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Just to illustrate your point - my seat electric motor failed. £4200 paid by warranty... Imagine paying that yourself 🥶

***** on a bendy-bus, what kind of motor is that? I just don't buy cars with expensive stuff like that that can break 😄

12 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

what kind of motor is that?

The issue was that motor controlling the back of the seat getting weak. It didn't stop working completely, but I would have to move forward for it to be able to come-up and it was making funny noises going down. Anyway - Lexus recommended changing all the motors (I believe there are 3 or 4 of them on the seat) and ended-up replacing entire seat base. 

I am still quite surprised they didn't simply changed the seat - sounds like much simpler job and I cannot imagine that costing more than £4200. I probably should have insisted on that to be honest, as there was some wear on the bolster... well too late now!

Hi and welcome. I bought mine privately in Sept 20 and like others, I checked the history with the dealership and the car already had over 18 months Lexus warranty remaining so it de-risked the purchase quite a lot. If it hasn’t had its 6-year service bear in mind that costs over £900; if you don’t need the spark plugs (<60k miles) then it’s £630. Worth haggling if not. 
I also noticed that a few sellers were claiming ‘full service history’ but some lower mileage cars had not been serviced every year - if they haven’t then it’s not ‘full’ history. 
Good luck 👍

Another one here who bought mine privately in October 2020.

2015 model bought from a fellow member on here (first tick of confidence).

He had the Lexus 2 year warranty inspection in August 2020 (2nd tick of confidence).

History is full Lexus barring one which was with a Land Rover main dealer as they sold it on their forecourt to the previous owner. But the receipt showed all the work they done including tyres and other bits to get it showroom fresh.

However, like others have said above, despite the Land Rover service, Lexus inspected it during the next service and granted the 2 year warranty - so I was happy.

Do a comprehensive HPI check for definite (perhaps after viewing it).

Before viewing run through the MOT history on Gov.uk as any advisories can give you a clue what to check for when you go to see it. If advisories have not been rectified then that tells you something about how well it has been kept (or not).

If everything checks out, make sure you write a receipt which you can both sign as proof of OWNERSHIP, not just keeper (V5).

Hopefully once you share the details here, someone will know the car 🙂

Good luck, awesome motors!!

Thanks to all that have posted advice

I have had the time to look and drive the RC-f in question so thought I would update all who have posted

White RC-f auto (not carbon) 2015 39k miles, Mark Levinson, red seats, TVD (reg TD15 ZSF)

history of the car if known in this forum would be appreciated.

all discs and pads have been done 1000 miles ago

Tyres all good 

looks straight (Hpi will be done), little to no marks on the paint

Lexus only did the first service (I asked Lexus Cambridge) ,

other services have been done by independent (so I have been told) waiting to see invoices

As a private sale (as long as Lexus offer warranty when pre inspected) what sort of price is fair, as I am finding vastly different information out there ranging from £18K all the way over £30K (and not many prices on here)

Thank in advance

27 minutes ago, Libra500 said:

Thanks to all that have posted advice

I have had the time to look and drive the RC-f in question so thought I would update all who have posted

White RC-f auto (not carbon) 2015 39k miles, Mark Levinson, red seats, TVD (reg TD15 ZSF)

history of the car if known in this forum would be appreciated.

all discs and pads have been done 1000 miles ago

Tyres all good 

looks straight (Hpi will be done), little to no marks on the paint

Lexus only did the first service (I asked Lexus Cambridge) ,

other services have been done by independent (so I have been told) waiting to see invoices

As a private sale (as long as Lexus offer warranty when pre inspected) what sort of price is fair, as I am finding vastly different information out there ranging from £18K all the way over £30K (and not many prices on here)

Thank in advance

£18k is stupid,unless someone is mixing it up with one of the lesser RC models.

I would say from the prices I’ve seen in the last year £28/29 retail asking,so about £26k private.

I think a trade offer for the car would be about £23/24k

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Libra500 said:

£18K

*inhales deeply* hahahahahaha... sorry had to get that off my chest, nothing meant towards you.

Quite tough to come up with a super accurate price, other than going by whats out there already in a more niche side of the market. £30k doesn't seem mad if you take into account discs/ pads and tyres already being done. If the service history can be proven then don't see why Lexus wouldn't approve it and tbh I think a dealer would ask you for more money then £30k.

Be interested in other peoples thoughts and if a previous owner is on here 🙂

1 hour ago, Arnett said:

I haven't really tracked RCF prices but it's 100% not 30k plus. 

@Fair and square would be best to ask he seems to track all F model price variations. 

I'd probably say 23ish. 

What did you think of it ? 

Sorry, I have been busy for a while, I was hoping to get round to this post.

I have to question as to why any car - brand new, still under original manufacturer warranty (3 years) only gets its first service from a dealer and then the remainder independant! Out of warranty I understand and military/service vehicles where they get serviced on site (including royal mail fleet) I also understand. But Joe public, first three years, I don't personally like.

Discs and pads are the big wear and tear expense, crica of £1600 from the dealer, so as this was done 1000 miles ago, no need to be concerned. Tyres and service are the next expense wear and tear wise. You say that tyres are good but are awaiting service invoices. The 60k (6 year) is the big one, circa of £900 (spark plug fitting) if this service hasn't been done then take that into consideration.

Warranty; as members here have already suggested, it is well worthy. In the grand scheme of things Lexus are well built, so in turn offer confidence in reliability however, like anything mechanical, things go snap, crackle and pop. The warranty is a great product and is by far more superior to that of any other warranty on the UK market.

As the guys have said here, 18k - no such thing, 30k+ too high.

26-27k is where I would be sticking my money.

2 years ago a few 2015 models with 40ish on the clock creeped down to 26k but since then they seem to have just halted and in fact one was at Lexus Wolverhampton late last year, 2015, 30ish on the clock up for 27k, it was on the site for around 3 hours before it sold.

On the same token, there are a small number of RCFs that for a short while now have remained on the trader and a few other places. Buyers seem to be a little scarce but sellers seem to be happy to hold out. So it all comes down to your budget and eagerness.

If the 60k/6 year is due I personally would be gunning for 25k, 26k if you really like the spec. 

If the service history is as it should be and the 60k is done then it is a 26-27k car.

But just to add: sub 30k RCFs seem to be a rare sight, even in their older age, mileages really seem to be low so in turn possibly have helped values.

This may help you....

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11265184?cId=11126159&cId=11074908&cId=11248432&cId=11172093&cId=11063817&cId=11269178&cId=11255393&cId=11244558&cId=11265184&cId=11010276&cId=11010317&cId=11020193

Best of luck, they are great cars, but just as you have done, prior to commitment certainly bombard this forum with your questions. There is an abundance of knowledge and opinions.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Fair and square said:

I have to question as to why any car - brand new, still under original manufacturer warranty (3 years) only gets its first service from a dealer and then the remainder independant!

Unlike an extended/used warranty, you are free to have your vehicle serviced at any independent and maintain the new car warranty - provided the schedule is adhered to. But I agree it is a little odd, especially as it would devalue the vehicle greater by not having full Lexus history than any saving made in the first two or three years.

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the advice and information. I have decided to let it go and continue to look.

Mainly due minimal Lexus servicing and no proof of any independent maintance or service.

Its a pity because it looked like a clean straight car , but looks can be deceiving and at £26k was just to much of a risk for me

There are a lot of VERY good independent garages out there but a car like this without even that to show is a risk and you’re right to walk.

A few more appeared on AT this week.

Best of luck

On 2/24/2021 at 10:46 PM, m4rkw said:

Buying privately is more risky than buying from a dealer. A 2015 I'm guessing is going to be a pretty hefty chunk of change. I would suggest getting a pre-purchase inspection and checking all the paperwork very carefully.

This.  Get either one of the main breakdown companies, RAC or AA, to do a full check.  Or ClickMechanics do a good one as well.

You want a comprehensive check with coverage in case anything goes wrong.  Then get a two year extended warranty from Lexus.