Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 "SE" or "F Sport"?

1. could be insulation in the tunnel or exhaust scrubbing. That would be my  first guess.

2. yes that sounds about right, this is not turbo car - you get instant response, but not that much power until it really wakes-up ~3000-4000. In other hand you can drive this car very economically as if you accelerate slowly enough and not exceed say 3000rpm it doesn't waste fuel like turbo cars (which pretty much just spills it on the road as soon as turbo kicks in). The great part of that - the more you rev it the more powerful it gets, and sounds better. I would say they just like to be revved. Even has like "VTEC" (VVTI is basically works on same principle) kick when cams changes.

34 minutes ago, Brechin Slate said:

Does the noise disappear immediately when you lift off the gas?

and if not then go further with the test and shift into neutral and coast.

If you are moving along at speed in neutral with the engine idling and you are still hearing a noise then it is contained to the output of the transmission/prop shaft bearing/rear differential/wheel bearing.

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

1. could be insulation in the tunnel or exhaust scrubbing. That would be my  first guess.

2. yes that sounds about right, this is not turbo car - you get instant response, but not that much power until it really wakes-up ~3000-4000. In other hand you can drive this car very economically as if you accelerate slowly enough and not exceed say 3000rpm it doesn't waste fuel like turbo cars (which pretty much just spills it on the road as soon as turbo kicks in). The great part of that - the more you rev it the more powerful it gets, and sounds better. I would say they just like to be revved. Even has like "VTEC" (VVTI is basically works on same principle) kick when cams changes.

Thanks Linas, on the 2nd point, yes exactly as you've described... great machine, love the sound and feel!

35 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

and if not then go further with the test and shift into neutral and coast.

If you are moving along at speed in neutral with the engine idling and you are still hearing a noise then it is contained to the output of the transmission/prop shaft bearing/rear differential/wheel bearing.

Thanks Colin, sorry totally lost me on this one 🙂 but yes, noise disappears immediately after releasing the acceleration

13 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

with it still in gear?

Looks like it's load related as opposed to speed related, not great and points to thrust bearing wear but I couldn't pin it down without actually hearing/experiencing it