Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Highest Mileage in the UK

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

I doubt it to be honest 

in reply to

4 hours ago, Kermitpwee said:

Just wondering whats the highest mileage IS300h about? 

Anything over the 300k yet? 

I would have agreed with Paul until June last year when, at a filling station on the German-Swiss border, I couldn't resist asking the owner of

an amazingly seedy-looking early-generation IS300h with German plates how many km it had done.  It was, in fact, the worst-looking Lexus I

have ever seen.  I was not entirely surprised when the equally seedy-looking but friendly owner replied 540000.  He was its fourth or fifth owner

and had done no more than top up the oil a couple of times over the 40000km he had driven it after buying it for €1200.  He was planning to

scrap it soon since it was driving a bit rough.  He added that he would like to buy another Lexus if he could find one at the right price.

• Like 1

Some mileage that! My doubts were based on the oldest cars being a little less than 8 years and to have done 300k would require 37.5k miles per year every year for eight years. That kind of mileage would also be at least one traction Battery change. Impressive to get to 540k kms though.

7 hours ago, Rabbers said:

right price.

I wonder what that would be considering he paid 1200 for IS300h. Actually sounds rather unbelievable that anyone would sell the car for that price - it coust triple that in parts alone.

The highest I seen on sale in UK was 190~ something. I don't think I seen any above 200k yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I wonder what that would be considering he paid 1200 for IS300h. Actually sounds rather unbelievable that anyone would sell the car for that price - it coust triple that in parts alone.

The highest I seen on sale in UK was 190~ something. I don't think I seen any above 200k yet.

Tony Richa, a former member had covered over 200,000 miles in his GS 450h.

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

Tony Richa, a former member had covered over 200,000 miles in his GS 450h.

I thought we are talking about IS300h here ? 😁

Because in that case I have seen IS220d with 374k and IS250 with 246k, my old one is now 195k as well. And I am sure there are higher miles cars... I think there is one member on here with 360k SC430 (is not more).

Just now, Linas.P said:

I thought we are talking about IS300h here ? 😁

Because in that case I have seen IS220d with 374k and IS250 with 246k, my old one is now 195k as well. And I am sure there are higher miles cars... I think there is one member on here with 360k SC430 (is not more).

It`s my age old pal. The prosecution rests. Delete that from the record if you wish.

It`s my age old pal. The prosecution rests. Delete that from the record if you wish.

in other hand the title does not say IS300h... I just assumed that from the thread being in IS mk3 sub-forum, so you may be right!

Just now, Linas.P said:

in other hand the title does not say IS300h... I just assumed that from the thread being in IS mk3 sub-forum, so you may be right!

I did check the title, but had not followed the text. Anyway 200,000 plus for a Gen 3 450h is worth noting Linas. Take care.

I did check the title, but had not followed the text. Anyway 200,000 plus for a Gen 3 450h is worth noting Linas. Take care.

Certainly impressive, but what is more impressive is how easily and with how little care these cars gets there.

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

It's good, but the IS300h only launched in 2013 so less time to get there.

Jason has 180k on his IS300h. Recently put in a new hybrid Battery.

Hopefully he was unlucky and this isn't the norm. Several GS450h batteries have had problems way lower than that mileage. All other hybrids are more reliable than the series III GS450h so hopefully that IS300h follows them and not the GS.

11 hours ago, Linas.P said:

... he paid 1200 for IS300h. Actually sounds rather unbelievable that anyone would sell the car for that price - it coust triple that in parts alone. ...

The condition had to be seen to be believed.  Every visible part required serious attention, so much so that the car might well have been quicker

and cheaper to scrap (or bury in a lake) than to sell.  A glance in the back indicated that it had been used - or was still being used - as a place to

eat and sleep by someone leading a nomadic existence, a use facilitated by the absence of a front passenger seat.   Be this as it may, and given

the legendary zeal of the local polizei, the car must have been officially certified as roadworthy, and this alone is something of a tribute to Lexus

long-term reliability quite independently of the mileage.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Some mileage that! My doubts were based on the oldest cars being a little less than 8 years and to have done 300k would require 37.5k miles per year every year for eight years. That kind of mileage would also be at least one traction battery change. Impressive to get to 540k kms though.

Yes, I would have thought the traction Battery must have been changed more than once with this kind of mileage.  As regards the

mileage itself, the amount of driving many Germans do for work and pleasure never ceases to amaze me, and it clearly relates to

the capillary nature of the autobahn network, which allows anyone to go just about anywhere and back in a day if they so choose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Yes, I would have thought the traction battery must have been changed more than once with this kind of mileage.  As regards the

mileage itself, the amount of driving many Germans do for work and pleasure never ceases to amaze me, and it clearly relates to

the capillary nature of the autobahn network, which allows anyone to go just about anywhere and back in a day if they so choose.

I will be very disappointed if I do t get at least 200k miles out of the traction Battery, I didn't realise they were going much before that

Roy and Peter:  I have no evidence one way or the other based on personal experience since I have kept no single one of three hybrids before

my present RC300h for more than 75k km, but, based on what my dealer told me when I bought my first (an IS300h) back in 2013, the life

expectancy of the traction Battery was 200-250k km, making it good for up to ten years' use for most people.  This is probably what Lexus

advised him to tell his customers but it could also be that, as a Toyota dealer, he was basing the figure on his own experience with the Prius,

of which he had sold quite a few units for use as taxis.  

• Like 1

I'm nearing in on 200K - probably by the end of April.

Only replacement outside of service / consumables in my ownership (40K) has been a bonnet catch.  According to the online Lexus history it just had routine servicing and a rain sensor replaced under warranty.

Still runs fine and I wouldn't hesitate to jump in and take it on any journey, although the ride is a little lumpy now and there are a few creaks from the interior.  My desire is to go full EV soon, but as the IS probably has little value to anyone else now I will probably just keep running it for the foreseeable future

• Like 4

Sorry!

Yes. I know. I am not in the UK and do not know anything about highest mileage there.

But just for fun. While working for Mercedez Benz in 1996 - 97 I received a message from Daimler Benz that a taxi in Brazil had rounded 1.000.000 km without problems, no repair. It needed a new timing-chain. Up to then it had been only services as usual, oil change, filters, grease.

• Like 1

Yes Mecs were good back in the day... I would argue that Merc downfall was around that time ~1995-1999 was switch over period from old overbuilt and over engineered cars, into something what become "merc in the name only". Release of A-Class was the end of that switch and all the cars after A-Class release were the new crappy generation of mercs which lasted nearly 20 years. 

I would argue that lasted until ~2015-2018 and since then there was switch over period again. Obviously, even new mercs are nowhere as good as Lexus, not even as good as old mercs, but they are past their worst cars period. I would avoid anything made by MB between 1999-2015 and there are few models preceding that time. 

Just now, ColinBarber
3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

It's good, but the IS300h only launched in 2013 so less time to get there.

Jason has 180k on his IS300h. Recently put in a new hybrid Battery.

Hopefully he was unlucky and this isn't the norm. Several GS450h batteries have had problems way lower than that mileage. All other hybrids are more reliable than the series III GS450h so hopefully that IS300h follows them and not the GS.

Closer to 190k now.
I still believe that my Battery failure at 180k was abnormal, I’ve seen/had a few Toyota that have done well over 200k still on their origins hybrid Battery.

now that I’ve had the Battery done the difference is massive, you don’t notice the old unit degenerating until you drive one with a new Battery in it.

I was going to trade it this year but having spent 2k on the Battery I’ll take it to 250/300k and then pass it on

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scudney said:

And now you even have Mercs with Renault engines lol 🤣😂🤔

Not to mention the Smart ForTwo trading on its Merc quality association while being mainly a Twingo in different clothing ... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Not to mention the Smart ForTwo trading on its Merc quality association while being mainly a Twingo in different clothing ... 

I`m afraid that Merc (manufacturing and build) and Dealership qualities are things of the past.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links