Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Highest Mileage in the UK

1 hour ago, Jayw13702 said:

next service will be in a few weeks and that will include transmission and back axle fluids as well as inverter fluid

I thought you did the transmission fluid recently?

2 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

I do it every 60k now, it was last done at 160,000, which was only about 15 months ago 😂

Wow! A bit more often than the recommended never 😉

I still do wonder why Lexus (& Toyota) have this recommendation. I'm guessing they know what they are doing (most reliable, etc, etc), but never just sounds wrong. According to your writeup on this, they don't even have a way of draining the oil completely - you replaced 2.3 litres from a total of 3.8 - so fresh oil will only make up about 2/3rds of the total and will therefore mix with the residual.

On 10/6/2021 at 10:19 PM, Jayw13702 said:

mines now sat at 216500 and still rocking along.

You've overtaken me now Jason - 210K sometime next week for me.

Fancy a change, but it just keeps soldiering on giving around 50mpg and I guess it has little value now so I guess the sensible thing is to just carry on

On 10/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, route66 said:

I still do wonder why Lexus (& Toyota) have this recommendation. I'm guessing they know what they are doing (most reliable, etc, etc), but never just sounds wrong. According to your writeup on this, they don't even have a way of draining the oil completely - you replaced 2.3 litres from a total of 3.8 - so fresh oil will only make up about 2/3rds of the total and will therefore mix with the residual.

The severe schedule has transmission fluid to be replaced every 60k miles/6 years. Being used as a taxi is categorised as needing to use the severe service schedule.

• Like 3

On 10/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, route66 said:

a lot of manufacturers state that transmission oil should never be changed.

Yes you will always get residual mixture of old and new, the fluid in the external lines and cooler being the majority that's left behind. By replacing most of it I would guess/hope that the overall quality of the new oil is better than the oil that's just been removed.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 9:52 AM, Spacewagon52 said:

When you come to replace the IS, what would you consider? An ES?

I am really struggling with this.....

I am not a great fan of the ES. Up until recently I was thinking of a GS, however their price has stalled and there doesn't seem to be many of them out there so seeing as I only have a few years unit I retire from the taxi trade there's a good chance that we will see 300,000 plus miles

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2021 at 7:14 PM, ColinBarber said:

The severe schedule has transmission fluid to be replaced every 60k miles/6 years. Being used as a taxi is categorised as needing to use the severe service schedule.

Yes, and apologies, according to the attached schedule, the transmission fluid for "severe" use is to check every 3 years and replace every 6. No mention of mileage though (at least in this schedule):

image.thumb.png.79243cb845af37ca71c9dec574783f5d.png

Official IS service schedule.pdf

5 hours ago, route66 said:

No mention of mileage though (at least in this schedule):

There is mention of mileage - the R to the left of the dots you highlighted is in the 54 (x1000) mile column - that is based on the 9k service schedule used in Europe whereas the UK uses 10k miles hence you should read it as 60k miles.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2021 at 12:16 AM, Jayw13702 said:

I am really struggling with this.....

I am not a great fan of the ES. Up until recently I was thinking of a GS, however their price has stalled and there doesn't seem to be many of them out there so seeing as I only have a few years unit I retire from the taxi trade there's a good chance that we will see 300,000 plus miles

Exactly the position I'm in. The ES is not my cuppa. And I want a saloon. I've got 2-3 years before I'd want to change (preferably just before hitting 100k), ideally to a premier GS450h, as young/low mileage I can find - then make them go till they last. There are not many of them, and they start around £25k. I'm also looking at JDM imports. They are high mileage mostly, but well maintained.

My reason really is that even an 2015 Advance trim I find lacking by modern standards for the long term. Blind spot detection, radar cruise control, automatic high-beam etc. We're doing quite long drives (we will hit 13k in 9 months), and a facelift 2016-18 Premier GS450h looks like it's as good as a car gets for what we need it - reliable, good economy, comfortable, regularly doing 500-700 miles in a day at speed.

6 hours ago, DBIZO said:

Exactly the position I'm in. The ES is not my cuppa. And I want a saloon. I've got 2-3 years before I'd want to change (preferably just before hitting 100k), ideally to a premier GS450h, as young/low mileage I can find - then make them go till they last. There are not many of them, and they start around £25k. I'm also looking at JDM imports. They are high mileage mostly, but well maintained.

My reason really is that even an 2015 Advance trim I find lacking by modern standards for the long term. Blind spot detection, radar cruise control, automatic high-beam etc. We're doing quite long drives (we will hit 13k in 9 months), and a facelift 2016-18 Premier GS450h looks like it's as good as a car gets for what we need it - reliable, good economy, comfortable, regularly doing 500-700 miles in a day at speed.

Just an observation, I have just changed from an IS300h Advance to an ES300h, I was looking at the RX but wasn’t convinced I wanted an SUV, I wanted to stay with Lexus but only really tried the ES just to confirm it wasn’t the car for me, however i bought it, really impressed with everything about it, the comfort and economy are exceptional, it feels like a big step up from the IS

1 hour ago, Derant said:

… wasn’t convinced I wanted an SUV, I wanted to stay with Lexus but only really tried the ES just to confirm it wasn’t the car for me, however i bought it, really impressed with everything about it, the comfort and economy are exceptional … 

I feel myself drifting towards a similar decision about the ES after looking at the new NX, mainly because I simply can’t get over my prejudices against SUVs.  No question that the ES is comfortable etc., but didn’t the size and standard of cabin finish affect your decision at all?

2 hours ago, Rabbers said:

I feel myself drifting towards a similar decision about the ES after looking at the new NX, mainly because I simply can’t get over my prejudices against SUVs.  No question that the ES is comfortable etc., but didn’t the size and standard of cabin finish affect your decision at all?

I was looking at the RX so the extra size of the ES wasn’t an issue, it is very long!!! One of the things that impressed me was standard of finish in the cabin, I find it very high. The only doubt I had after driving it was the non folding rear seats but we have a hatch back as well so one car is enough for the few occasions I need the extra flexibility, I would just say go and test drive one

3 hours ago, Rabbers said:

I don't think it's all just prejudices. Besides, try out an NX at a dealership. I drove one for a few days as a loaner. My prejudices turned out to be judicious. The only positive I noticed was the excellent all round visibility, but I felt great sitting in the IS cabin again.

5 hours ago, Derant said:

Just an observation, I have just changed from an IS300h Advance to an ES300h, I was looking at the RX but wasn’t convinced I wanted an SUV, I wanted to stay with Lexus but only really tried the ES just to confirm it wasn’t the car for me, however i bought it, really impressed with everything about it, the comfort and economy are exceptional, it feels like a big step up from the IS

I'd take an ES over most cars out there, but because I still think it's possible to snatch a GS450h, I'm holding out. It's more about me and my biases rather than the car. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now just completed 230,000 miles and still going well.

Over the Christmas period it will need a new rear wheel bearing, some rear pads and a chance to get the car up on ramps and give it a good underbody clean.

I treated the car to some IS220 wheels, always liked the look of them, picked them up for an absolute steal, had them powder coated and stuck some 225/45x17 tyres on them and am pleased with the result....

81AAAE22-3B94-4336-8EB9-A6C64BCC66F4.thumb.jpeg.222cf5e321975e06df4b418fca7aa762.jpeg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

Over the Christmas period it will need a new rear wheel bearing, some rear pads and a chance to get the car up on ramps and give it a good underbody clean.

I treated the car to some IS220 wheels, always liked the look of them, picked them up for an absolute steal, had them powder coated and stuck some 225/45x17 tyres on them and am pleased with the result....

81AAAE22-3B94-4336-8EB9-A6C64BCC66F4.thumb.jpeg.222cf5e321975e06df4b418fca7aa762.jpeg

What brands of tyres have you used over the course of your 230k? I am thinking of moving to budget tyres

11 hours ago, Kermitpwee said:

What brands of tyres have you used over the course of your 230k? I am thinking of moving to budget tyres

I use Falkens, always given good economy at a reasonable price whilst still being reasonably quiet

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 12/13/2021 at 10:52 PM, Jayw13702 said:

Hi Jason, do you still drive your IS? What's on the clock now? I'm about to buy one from 2015 with 210k km (130k miles) and reading this thread gave me a good confidence that I've not gone completely mad as some people I've discussed this with think. The car has a full service book from an authorized dealer and the Battery is under warranty until April 2025. I hope to hear from you! Thanks a lot for sharing your success story with us here. What a car!

6 hours ago, JNO said:

Hi Jason, do you still drive your IS? What's on the clock now? I'm about to buy one from 2015 with 210k km (130k miles) and reading this thread gave me a good confidence that I've not gone completely mad as some people I've discussed this with think. The car has a full service book from an authorized dealer and the battery is under warranty until April 2025. I hope to hear from you! Thanks a lot for sharing your success story with us here. What a car!

What price are you paying for it?

On 12/14/2021 at 8:44 PM, Jayw13702 said:

I use Falkens, always given good economy at a reasonable price whilst still being reasonably quiet

Yours now at 251k (33k) a year very impressive

Have you replaced any ABS sensors? 

• 2 weeks later...

My 2013 IS300h Premier (PCS/AHB/BSM/LKA, SUNROOF) has now done 211k from new and will possibly reach 220k when I sell it early next year. Still drives like new, will be sorry to see it go.

• Like 4