Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check VSC system (RX400h)

It's a while since I've used Techstream myself so I'm a bit rusty but try clicking on the blue 'Data List' and/or 'Utility' buttons on the left and take screenshots (preferably bigger ones) of what they reveal.

You could even try double-clicking the blue line, see if that does anything.

I have some progress to report.  

I decided to remove and inspect the right front wheel speed sensor.  There was a little bit of debris on the tip, but nothing significant.  However, looking down the hole in the hub carrier, I could see that the reluctor ring was off centre.  The band along one of its edges was centred on the hole.  Although I cannot find a diagram of how it is supposed to be aligned, I imagine that the correct alignment should have the segments centred on the hole.  

Anyway, I rotated the hub whilst watching down the hole and discovered that the ring has split in one place.  

I have managed to move the ring sideways to what I imagine to be a better alignment (It is a loose-ish fit, now that it is split) and I went for a short test drive.  

Upon starting the car, the "Check AWD" and "Check VSC" warnings were displayed, along with the static ABS light and the static traction control light.  The car drove normally.  After about a quarter of a mile, all warnings were extinguished and the car continued to drive normally.  

When I got home, I reconnected it to tech stream, and found that it was still reporting the same three faults, and showing them all as still "Current" (not "Pending" and not "History")  When drilling in to each code with the magnifying glass, the pop up message says "Malfunction is present".  

So, couple of questions:

1) Why does tech stream say the DTCs are still current?  SHould I do something to delete them?  

2) It looks like the car is happy(-ish?) with a broken reluctor ring, though I expect it will vibrate and move back to the position in which I found it.  Before I embark on replacing the reluctor ring, with all the work that entails, I wonder if I can somehow glue it in place to stop it moving?  Worth a try, don't you think?  Has anybody else tried gluing a reluctor ring in place?  Any advice about choice of adhesive?  

12 minutes ago, Greisingel said:

So I would highlight the code line and hit ‘data list’

I did this before I moved the ring.  It looked like the data list showed live data, and I think the screen was the same regardless of which DTC I had highlighted.   Screenshots before I fixed the ring are as below.  What should I be looking at?

TS data list 2.jpg

TS data list 1.jpg

I started the car today and rechecked for errors.  There were no warnings on the dash, but techstream still showed all 3 DTCs were current.  I decided to use TS to erase the DTCs and all three disappeared.   

I need to use the car tomorrow for a trip to the supermarket, which is a round trip of about 10 to 15 miles.  Fingers crossed.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a week or so of trouble-free motoring, the problem has returned. As expected, the loose reluctor ring has vibrated back to the wrong position.  For the short term, I've unplugged the wheel sensor and the car seems to be fine.  I must make progress with a new ring or new driveshaft.... Probably needs another thread.....

11 hours ago, welland said:

After a week or so of trouble-free motoring, the problem has returned. As expected, the loose reluctor ring has vibrated back to the wrong position.  For the short term, I've unplugged the wheel sensor and the car seems to be fine.  I must make progress with a new ring or new driveshaft.... Probably needs another thread.....

So it is mechanical/sensor. I think you’ve started a thread on CV joint / reluctor ring. 

• Like 1