Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Severe sill rust. Still worth the purchase?

Hi all,

Im not very mecanically adept (im in IT) so wanted you guys to shed a light on the following. Im getting the car for a steal.... manual, great condition and average mileage.  

Only thing is im sure the clutch is slipping (not so much of an issue) however the rust on the drivers side sill looks pretty severe. I also know the gent im purchasing off has just replaced the tire on this corner. 

Also the car has sat for around 2 yrs.

Please see pics and im greatful for any help.

Many thanks 

20210228_144123.jpg

20210228_144119.jpg

Sounds like it's been run on a budget. I always change tyres in pairs. Possibly had unrepairable puncture on low miles tyre so just bought one? 

Rust looks bad. Certainly think at least £100-150 to weld up. My 1989 Volvo 240 needed £90 of welding done in 2015. Clutch change no idea. Driven Autos for 15 years, previous old Volvo manual's never changed the clutch.

5 years ago I bought a 1996 Volvo 940 Turbo auto estate for £250 with no rot issues and still use it as my works van. Now has 205,000 and reliable. Used 80's and 90's cars are going up in value. Always bear in mind a cheap car costs money to bring it up to scratch. You may be better off buying a better bodied one in the first place. If no car DIY skills can become costly.

James👍 

Volvo 1.jpg

Rust is often more widespread than is immediately obvious.   Would you be permitted to have the car inspected underneath to establish extent of rust and obtain an estimate for dealing with all that needs doing before making a purchase decision?  The cost of replacing a clutch should be more easily obtained through the model. 

14 hours ago, IS200 roz said:

Im not very mecanically adept 

I think you may have answered your own question.  Looking at the obvious rust, I wouldn’t have described it as being in good condition.  Get it up on a hoist and I suspect that more horrors will be revealed.  I also agree with other comments that it’s clearly been maintained on a shoestring and after all it’s been ignored for two years anyway.

I think it might well be a project for an experienced renovator, but if you’re not mechanically adept, I’d walk away.

Best advice would be to buy from a recognised dealer, or at least get a mechanic’s inspection if dealing privately.

I may be completely wrong but given the recent tyre change it looks like the jack has gone through the rotten sill.

It’s not just a case of slapping a plate over it will need cutting back to good metal in 3 dimensions and rebuilding multiple layers resulting in a couple of days work with a mig welder and fabrication.

Assuming the flywheel is OK there is a good offer on fleabay at the moment for the Aisin clutch kit at£150.00 just add half a day’s labour on top for fitting.

If it’s a free car consider it .....if not walk on by.

Have a look at this video to get an idea of the work required.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1QRLVT8Cafc

On 3/2/2021 at 10:47 AM, steve2006 said:

given the recent tyre change it looks like the jack has gone through the rotten sill.

That was my first thought as well. A lot of IS200's suffer from this problem when the rest of the car is in great shape and maintained well. I suppose if the rest of the car is in great condition with low mileage it may be worth sorting out but it will cost a lot to do properly (not just the drivers side, chances are the passenger side is going as well). 

On 3/2/2021 at 10:47 AM, steve2006 said:

If it’s a free car consider it .....if not walk on by.

That would be my view as well, sills need doing and maybe the opposite boot side, new clutch........it will cost a fair bit but low mileage manual IS200's are getting hard to find and prices seem to be going up.

Don't forget these cars are now getting on a bit,some have been abused, looked after mine well and sold it a few years ago and still looks great for a 18 year old car 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links