Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where would the best place for getting a wheel bearing.

I also get confused when they ask what engine do I have and give you 3 options the 276 HP, 284 HP and 294 HP the first 2 are ok but the 294 is no good.?

Hi Mike

Rock autos might be the place... I tried two makes from eBay... both lasted less than 30 days i think because the car is big and heavy which shows up poor quality parts fast.

I think the ls400 is a press in bearing isnt it?

2 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Where would the best place for getting a wheel bearing.

I also get confused when they ask what engine do I have and give you 3 options the 276 HP, 284 HP and 294 HP the first 2 are ok but the 294 is no good.?

I thought the MK4 was 280bhp and the earlier ones were 270. The LS430 I believe is 290.

And I think that's correct that it's a press in bearing.  They're not expensive from Rockauto, an SKF one is only about £25 plus tax and shipping, which shouldn't be much.

11 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Does this help?

"In its standard, original trim with 10.0:1 compression, power output is 191 kW (256 hp; 260 PS), torque of 353 N⋅m (260 lb⋅ft).[2]

The engine was slightly revised in 1995 with lighter connecting rods and pistons and an increased compression ratio to 10.4:1 resulting in peak power of 195 kW (261 hp; 265 PS) at 5,400 rpm and torque of 365 N⋅m (269 lb⋅ft) at 4,400 rpm.

In 1997, Toyota's VVT-i variable valve timing technology was introduced along with a further compression ratio increase to 10.5:1,[2] bumping power and torque to 216 kW (290 hp; 294 PS) at 5,900 rpm and 407 N⋅m (300 lb⋅ft) at 4,100 rpm."

As to prices, this should give you a benchmark. The SKF is shown as £85 for the front, but the rears are not listed.

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/wheel-bearing-and-wheel-hub

9 hours ago, m4rkw said:

Are the OEM ones not worth the money?

The OEM ones will no doubt be the best bet but they will cost a lot more and (may) be harder to get, although SKF have been making bearings for many manufacturers for a long time so I'd be happy with them.

3 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Thanks a lot everyone Rockautos here we come again.

Keep us posted on how the job goes Mike, it's always interesting to read.