Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all, 

Recently my IS220 decided it didn't want to live anymore, and then my Celica decided to spin a rod bearing to top it all off - Nice. 

I'm in the market for either a Gen 1 GS300, or a Gen 3 GS450h. Two entirely different cars from different eras, but something draws me towards the Gen 1.

I mostly do short trips with the occasional 100+ mile journey. Welsh B roads are most of the roads around me, with the exception of the A55. With this said, which of the two cars mentioned tend to stick to those sort of roads better?

Would also like to know what to look out for in both cars, and any issues I should be aware of before taking the plunge and deciding. 

I've been reading reviews from different websites, but they all appear to be biased towards the usual German cars 🙄 So I'm now looking to you all for your reviews! 

Cheers all! 😁

1 hour ago, shafque said:

Good luck finding a gen 1 gs300. I been looking for a sport version for ages. 

I'm sure I've seen someone selling one in the for sale section on the forums? And there's a couple on Gumtree - https://www.gumtree.com/p/lexus/l-k..rare-mk1-lexus-gs300-sport-black-cream-leather-gold-badge-edition-staggered-wheels-xenon-tints/1385760327

3 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Series I are certainly rare these days. Only a few hundred left on the road.

It's nice to see them. I'd like to believe that they'll be a future classic, especially with so very little of them on the roads these days.

Gen 3 GS300/450h will be more fuel efficient than Gen 1, more safer, more toys, and parts are fairly easy to source. Although Gen 1 is a classic GS, they'll be hard to find a well maintained good example.  Gen 3 GS300/430 has more trunk space than 450h so that's something to consider if trunk space is high on the list of requirements.

• Like 1

Thanks noby,

I didn't consider the increased difficulty to source parts for a Gen 1 neither, cheers for the reminder.

I'm assuming the Gen 3 will be better built to some respect too when compared to a Gen 1?

I would love to try out a GS450h or 300 to see if it's something that ticks all the boxes. But with restrictions in Wales, and the closest one over 100 miles away, it's a bit of a tricky one.

The 220d was my first car, and despite the gearbox/engine I couldn't fault the car at all. The gadgets and bang for buck with quality has bought me as a bit of a forever customer with Lexus now...

6 hours ago, llyrrr said:

Also, what's the estimated range of the battery in the 450h? 

I've searched around a lot but alas, no result. 

Not more than a few miles. Maybe 10 if you are very lucky.

Its not designed as a plug in hybrid which will go for long distances without the ICE kicking in.
The 450h is all about recovering lost energy from braking and a nice little boost to acceleration.

There aren't many cars of this weight that can get to 60 in under 6 seconds while getting over
30 mpg both on the motorway and stop/start around town.

• Like 1

Attempting to drive a GS450h on pure electric should only be for occasional novelty value. Car is not really designed for sole electric use, rather as a fuel/battery combo. Use petrol to get yourself up to sub 50mph  cruising speed and then back off the pedal to encourage the Battery to take over. 

If you try to use electric from a standstill you may get two miles max out of a fully charged Battery by driving very gingerly.  Still only get 32mpg in winter and 36 in summer.

• Like 1

This is what I found:

image.thumb.png.bfa50c99d2413f07018f705dd0bc5e55.png

So not even couple of miles unless you maintain speed down the hill and even then I doubt it will last more than 1-2 miles.

image.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Attempting to drive a GS450h on pure electric should only be for occasional novelty value. Car is not really designed for sole electric use, rather as a fuel/battery combo. Use petrol to get yourself up to sub 50mph  cruising speed and then back off the pedal to encourage the battery to take over. 

If you try to use electric from a standstill you may get two miles max out of a fully charged battery by driving very gingerly.  Still only get 32mpg in winter and 36 in summer.

Correct recently last two weeks ive been averaging 32mpg. I am lead to believe in summer time it may improve due to hybrid batteries operating better in warmer summer climate, and yes as he said battery there to assist rather then take over. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, llyrrr said:

Also, what's the estimated range of the battery in the 450h? 

I've searched around a lot but alas, no result. 

About 1/2 mile in my experience. One does not buy a 450h for its HB range !

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. 

Interesting, it makes sense that you'd only get a minimum mile out of the hybrid, considering the weight of the car. I'm very familiar with the 2GR having looked at an IS350 for sale in the UK, so I know the engine is no slouch.

So essentially the Battery is there to give the car that extra boost to get it moving a bit quicker. And to bring those MPGs up when cruising. 

Has anyone had any experience here with the Battery completely dying when the temperatures do drop below freezing? Or do they tend to be sturdy cells. 

Cheers for the feedback all.